9" Locker options

FabioP

I am now thinking about what locker to install on my rear 9". It's a daily driver but want to go fast on the dirt:D. Spool is not an option. What would be best? Detroit, LSD or ARB?

I am leaning towards the LSD. I've heard you can upgrade the clutch pads. Is that true? If so, where should I go?

Sato Bros. Racing

True Trac is the only way to go if you have 31 spline axles and you don't like the handling characteristics of the Detroit Locker. What spline axles do you have? The one down side is the True Trac doesn't come in 35 spline,only 31. The ARB is another option, but then you have the EXTRA cost of the compressor plus the $900 just for the carrier. Then you have to worry about lines,switches and solenoids out in the middle of nowhere! Yes you can carry spares of everything, but do you really want to deal with that?....not me.If you are runnig 31 spline then def. go with the True Trac. If you are running 35 then well you don't have very many options when you factor in traction and strength.

FabioP

I was planning on going 35 splines (full floating). Is there a big difference in strength between 31 and 35?

partybarge_pilot

I ran 31 spline axles and a true track on My bronco with 35's for years. No problems. Ask yourself this, do you really want to be beating on your DD hard enough to need 35 spline axles?

Sato Bros. Racing

Full flaoter on your DD? There is a diff. in the axles strength due to the shaft diameter. A well built 31 spline axle will prob. be fine for a DD that doesn't have alot of HP and up to a 35" tire,but I think it would be borderline depending on what you got. The semi-floating axles are the same diminsion wise from the bearing out. The only strength that you would gain would be in the shaft diameter from the bearing to the splines.What kind of truck are you putting this in? How wide is it? Tire size? HP? Weight? I ran the stock 28 spline axles in my 68 Bronco with 35's and 400 Hp and never had a problem, but I would say that I was VERY lucky and it was only a matter of time before I was stuck in the middle of nowhere:D

FabioP

It's a custom built 9" with F450 unit bearings (Spidertrax). It will be installed on a Ranger with a 302(300hp)/C4/D300 drivetrain. Tires are 35". DD is actually an understatement. I should say it's goint to be a street legal racing truck;)

Sato Bros. Racing

Huh.....same set up that we got on our truck front and back right now(Currie). We Have had the SD floater set in the back for 3 yrs now with zero problems. I would say you would prob. be fine with a 31 spline wasted body out of good material, but you could step up and run 35 spline for the peace of mind. That is up to you.We are runnin 35 spline 300m wasted body shafts in our truck.

Attachments

FabioP

Huh.....same set up that we got on our truck front and back right now(Currie). We Have had the SD floater set in the back for 3 yrs now with zero problems. I would say you would prob. be fine with a 31 spline wasted body out of good material, but you could step up and run 35 spline for the peace of mind. That is up to you.We are runnin 35 spline 300m wasted body shafts in our truck.
Nice truck, where can I get more pics of her?

Is your rear end spooled?

Sato Bros. Racing

Thanks for the compliment. As far as the pics, pic up a copy of last months Off Road Magazine....they did a feature shoot on it. I don't want to flood your thread with pics of our truck......that is unless you want me too;). Currie C-MAC hsg, Currie 9+ Race case, Currie 9+ Race pinion support, spool, 1350 billet yoke.

FabioP

Thanks for the compliment. As far as the pics, pic up a copy of last months Off Road Magazine....they did a feature shoot on it. I don't want to flood your thread with pics of our truck......that is unless you want me too;). Currie C-MAC hsg, Currie 9+ Race case, Currie 9+ Race pinion support, spool, 1350 billet yoke.
Cool. I'll do that. You could create a post on show and tell:D

Or post here... I don't mind:rolleyes:

murphco

fyi if you order the summit brand truetrac it comes in the truetrac box and is the same part sold by detroit,its just $130 cheaper.

Sato Bros. Racing

How about the regular Detroit? any comments on them?
Is your truck an auto or stick. Some people don't like or should I say get tired of the handling characteristics of the Detroit Locker with a manual trans. I had one in my old Bronco with a 3 speed and it didn't bother me at all, but everybody is diff. Outside of the handling on the street, they are an awesome unit and proven!

philofab