• Forum membership has its advantages....

'92 Toyota. . .worthy desert racing project???

atomicjoe23

Not really sure what forum to put this in so I figured here would work and if it wasn't right it could be moved. . .

First off, I don't know squat about Toyota's. . .that being said I may be the recipient of a '92 Toyota in trade for some welding on a friends truck. . .

. . .would a '92 Toyota be worth my time and effort as a 7200 race truck?

Right now the only thing I know I would be doing to the truck (besides the obligatory 4-link w/trailing arm rear and LT A-arm front) if I got would be to go from 4WD to 2WD, update the bodywork to the '05+ Tacoma bodywork, and keep the Toyota engine. . .

. . .other than that I have no idea if this thing would be worth my time effort at all. . .I will be getting a set of F&R D44 axles with it that I could sell to help finance the purchase of parts for the truck. I have seen the truck and the interior is somewhat gutted, but all the better for me I would think. . .one less thing for me to have to do and get rid of.

Right now the pro's of going this route would be:

-the truck is gonna be free
-it will allow me to keep my '99 4WD Ranger as a mild 4WD prerunner that I could still drive to and from work without sacrificing too much streetability

. . .I guess that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for the help!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Here ya go this was my 1992 Toyota 4wd that won a championship.

[video=youtube;Q_tM6fgztmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tM6fgztmM[/video]

KJN1421

[video=youtube;Q_tM6fgztmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tM6fgztmM[/video]
Fish thanks for the slide show reminds me of my current race truck !

y2kbaja

'92 Toyota. . .worthy desert racing project??? ABSOLUTELY!!

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Not that I know much about toyota's but the evolution of that truck is pretty impresive good work [BTW good tune]

Dirt Yota

Im not much of a fan of the 4wd frames because when you go 2wd and LT your mounting points are lower. Which means that the lower cross bar sits lower and has potential to drag. There really is no difference in 2wd and 4wd frames, just the mounting points.

Now you could cut all that off and redo all the mounting points and be fine. That's what I would do.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
A claim to fame when there was little to no real competition ;)

Kidding. Was that the last thing you won? ;)

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
That is way too far above my skill level ^^^

Bryan J

i say go for it. have fun with the truck and go racing

atomicjoe23

The truck I will be getting has had a SAS conversion done adn the IFS mounting points were cut-off. . .so it looks like I would have to weld new mounts on the frame. . . I will go look at the truck again this weekend.

atomicjoe23

yes and this cab and frame happen to be free. . .just wanted to make sure the '92 platform was worth the time to work on. . .

Curtis Guise

Administrator
My second truck was a 90 4wd Toyota. I put a Total Chaos kit on the front and the longer Chevy leafs in the back. I drove that truck for years from NorCal down to Baja many times and put thousands of miles on it down there. The 3.4 v6 with an auto trans is slow but it works.

atomicjoe23

I probably won't be getting an engine/transmission. . .

. . .but I will have a set of D44 axles to sell to help finance a new engine/transmission.

Suggestions for engine/transmission???

e_lunatic

build for 1400/1450. 3.4 V6, 5 speed, Total Chaos Caddy Kit, link the rear and have fun. will still be 7200 legal as well