• Forum membership has its advantages....

'92 Toyota. . .worthy desert racing project???

BarrelRoll

I hope your pockets are deep. A true 7200 truck pretty much has almost 0 factory parts on it and a tube chassis.

I agree 1400/ 1450 is probably a more budget class.

atomicjoe23

What do you guys think of a 4.30 geared Ford 8.8 axle from a '96 F-150 for this truck. . .I'm getting one for free, and/or I have access to an 8.8 from a '00 Mercury Mountaineer. The F-150 unit comes with an Auburn locker.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
What do you guys think of a 4.30 geared Ford 8.8 axle from a '96 F-150 for this truck. . .I'm getting one for free, and/or I have access to an 8.8 from a '00 Mercury Mountaineer. The F-150 unit comes with an Auburn locker.

Thanks!

There is not one thing you want in that set up. 4.3 gears are way off for a race truck in most case. You will prob want a 5 or more at least. You also want a 9" min for a race or play truck. More gear options and much stronger. Lastly you don't want any locker in a race truck. You need a spool. Fully locked at all times.

Don't get it go to a junk yard and get the widest 9" you can (64") flange to flange I believe. And then take it to a driveline shop to be built. Make sure it has 31 spline axles and not the 28. And that is minimum Most run stronger custom 9" housings with big axles ect.

And if you are really talking about a 7200 truck then you don't Evan need the frame or cab you got. Haha just need a bunch of cromo tubing and $100k.

KevinT4R

As long as you've got a V6 under the hood, there's no reason you couldn't enter your 1450/1400 in Class 7200 for a race or two.

atomicjoe23

As long as you've got a V6 under the hood, there's no reason you couldn't enter your 1450/1400 in Class 7200 for a race or two.
Sounds like a good plan. . .just went through all my saved Toyota articles and came across the Kung Fu pick-up again. . .it's a '92 1450 and I like it a lot. . .looks exactly what I was wanting to do, so I think that I will go that route.

Should have the 'Yota under the carport in two weeks.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Sounds like a good plan. . .just went through all my saved Toyota articles and came across the Kung Fu pick-up again. . .it's a '92 1450 and I like it a lot. . .looks exactly what I was wanting to do, so I think that I will go that route.

Should have the 'Yota under the carport in two weeks.
Is that article on Dan Vance's truck?

mcidge

Single or extended cab?...the single cab is a tight fit with the cage and seating if your building to Score specs. Just warning you as i'm doing a 1990 single cab right now.

mcidge

A extended will make all the difference on interior room. Kung fu's a sweet truck....thats what i'm basing mine on as well.

ryanferg211

that build was sick ... i got a 1990 toyota starting to fix it up... want a long travel but they are costly..... i was thinking of getting a front end from pic-a -part (cuz right now its my daily driver) extending them out and boxing them in then .... advice??????

ryanferg211

that build was sick ... i got a 1990 toyota starting to fix it up... want a long travel but they are costly..... i was thinking of getting a front end from pic-a -part (cuz right now its my daily driver) extending them out and boxing them in then .... advice??????