93-97 Ranger Questions

Prater

Reaction
I'm looking to buy a 93-97 4X4 Ranger to turn into a prerunner. The current plan is to cage it, install a Camburg front 'kit' with Deaver's in the rear. It will be mostly off-road and NOT my daily driver. Here are my questions:

-How much of the stock front drivetrain do I need to keep for the Camburg kit?

-Do all Ranger 4X4's have the 8.8 rearend? If not, should I look into getting a 9 inch from Currie instead.

-What automatic tramission will it have? Should I start looking for a C4?

-Some of the Rangers I've looked at so far have the push button trasfer case. Is it possible to convert it to a manual t-case?

Thanks in advance.

-Prater

-Prater

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Prater,

We have a customer selling his 95-97 4x4 Ranger. It is really clean. Fiberglass front and rear, Front suspension is cut and turned Dana 35 I beams, Camburg/Eibach coils, and Bilstein shocks. The rear is Deaver springs, Swayaway 2.5" by-pass shocks, and the bed cage goes into the cab. The Rear of the truck is caged but there is only a rear hoop in the cab. He has not completed the in cab cage. I will post pics a little later today. I think he wants 10K for the truck.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Jerry he is in Michigan so I don't think it's very feasible for him to buy the truck out here.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

MH20

Reaction
-Only the 4.0L trucks have the 8.8 rearend

-As for the transmission in it, the autos suck so I would start looking for a C4 if thats what you want.

-And yes you can pretty easily change the T-case, I know a lot of explorer people have done this.

1993 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0L 2WD

jeff

Reaction
What better way to shakedown a truck than to drive it 2000 miles? :)

I agree Kris - it ain't convenient. But it wouldn't be that expensive to ship the truck out there. He'll have to pay a premium to get all the parts he wants shipped to Michigan anyway. Unless he orders everything at once and has it shipped on a pallet the shipping will be $300-400 bucks for parts alone. Have you ever priced out the shipping for a pair of leaf springs going from CA to Michigan - it's a rip! I've been looking for a 72' Blazer in good condition for a couple years now - I'd be willing to drive 2000 miles to pick one up for the right price and in the right condition.

Aloha

Prater

Reaction
Thanks for the replies guys. I would love to buy a truck already started but I would need to see it, and I can't afford to fly out west yet (I'm getting a new customer in LA soon though).

jeff, I hope you are wrong about shipping. I haven'y quoted it out yet shipping from CA but a new complete engine block from summit only costs $100 anywhere in the continental US if you pick it up from the dock.

Thanks again,
-Prater

-Prater

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Well here are some pics anyway:).

Attachments

• 6-18525-4x4RangerFront.jpg
    6-18525-4x4RangerFront.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 246

jeff

Reaction
A single leaf spring pack that weighs 50lbs will be around $40 bucks from CA to MI via UPS Ground. You also need radius arms, coil springs, maybe shocks, all the little stuff. Unless you order it all at once and somehow get the companies to coordinate with a freight shipper you'll be paying shipping costs on multiple items. Summit has some of the best and cheapest shipping anywhere because of their size and volume - I doubt Camburg or Deaver is going to ship their products for FREE like Summit does. :) (Summit ships UPS Ground free + a $7.95 per order handling fee)

Aloha

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Jerry,

I'm interested in a truck like that...do you know more about it? what transmission, rear end, etc..? was all the work done at your shop?

thanks. Jaron

rdc

Reaction
Im sure Jerry can offer the insides to the work done in more detail than I can. The truck is very clean and is very well built. It belongs to my best friend. He recently took everything apart and painted the entire cage and replaced all the bolts as well. The truck was built entirely by camburg. It has an automatic trans, though im not sure of the number. It is factory as is the Dana 35 up front and the 8.8 in the rear.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.JTB-Design.com>www.JTB-Design.com</A>

rdc

Reaction
are those bedsides from glassworks? how much flair do they have. those are the ones i want for my truck.