94' ranger 4.0 pinging!!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
94\' ranger 4.0 pinging!!

replaced the o2 censor still pings its my brothers I told him what does he expect from a ford :) any ideas???...Mike

everyone thinks they are superman when the camera is pointed at them...untill they land!!!

tkr

Reaction
Re: 94\' ranger 4.0 pinging!!

check the mass air flow sensor filaments for carbon and check the knock sensor.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Timberwlf

Reaction

Read this page...lots of good info

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.therangerstation.com/40Problems.htm>http://www.therangerstation.com/40Problems.htm</A>

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

btshannon

Reaction

I would first change fuels. If the engine still pings after trying different fuel octane ratings and different brands, look closely at the knock sensor. The knock sensor is pretty easy to find it's just bolted to the engine block. It is basically a microphone tuned to hear things in a certain frequency range. Try to get this handled quickly. Pinging engines are not good. Things can break deep inside the engine (pistons, rings, and other important stuff).
Good luck.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...

btshannon

Reaction

Upon further reflection, I seem to recall that the sensor in question is screwed into the block like an oil pressure switch except that it is screwed into a threaded bore not an oil passage.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...

JP7

Reaction

a common prob with pinging is egr valve not working, it will cause a lean condition, as for knock sensor, more than likely it would set a code/check engine light would be on the knock sensor has a crystal that under vibration, it creates a voltage and the ecm will adjust timing acordingly. To check egr, it is the thing withg the tube going from exhaust manifold to a circular usually silver valve, it will have a vacuum line attached to check if it works either apply vacuum to the valve or you might be able to push the valve up with a small screw driver but be careful not to puncture the valve, when you move the valve at idle it should kill the engine or almost kill it, if all is well check that you have vacuum to i off idle i am not sure exactly what egr system is on the 94 but you get the jist of it