97 ranger trans

gcddarren

Reaction
i replace the clutch, pressure plate, and clutch master cyander. took me forever to bleed the thing. anyways, truck sat for 7 months before i got it fixed, now every gear works fine, just it grinds as it goes into reverse. any suggestions? going to go to a transmission shop in the next couple days to ask but if it is a simple fix i will do it myself.

2WD
Ranger

Captain Air Time

Reaction
Are you positive it is fully bled? They are notoriously PITA. I always seem to have to drive a few hours to work the last of the air out of it.

manicmechanic

Reaction
I"m with the Captain here, After awhile they finally burp!
Place it in 1st before going to reverse to prevent grinding until the clutch breaks in and the last of the air or foam has worked out of the system.

gcddarren

Reaction
i removed the c clip on the master and got the air out that way. its wierd. if i put it in reverse, hold the cluth, it will start and i can use reverse. when i take it out, it does not grind. only grinds when going into gear.

Captain Air Time

Reaction
if i put it in reverse, hold the cluth, it will start and i can use reverse. when i take it out, it does not grind. only grinds when going into gear.

Yep, still air in it. Drive for a while (sometimes days) For me, it always self bleeds eventually. It's a PITA, but at least you don't have to do it very often :D

gcddarren

Reaction
haha nice. ramdomly the reverse started to work yesterday! so no more problems with that. thanks for the replys