• Forum membership has its advantages....

98-00 2wd Ranger Long Travel

sbro

I was looking into long travel kits for my 98 Ranger, but I haven't been able to find any other than the S.I. Long travel kit which is $5,000. That is a bit out of my price range, but if it comes down to it I can do a little saving up. Right now I have a fabtech 5.5" kit, go ahead make fun of me, but it was only meant to be temporary until a real kit came out. Are there any other companies or shops making a long travel kit or planning on it? I would be down to put a prototype kit on if one is in the works.

singlehanded

Have you seen Aj's 98 ranger he is the owner of the baja shop, in orange. His truck is getting 15" of travel. I am not sure the cost of it but in the interview in off-road magazine he says the cost was under ten grand for the whole truck. It is an awsome truck that works great as a daily driver. Check it out at www.thebajashop.com

local

John Bitting

Administrator
I know Camburg makes a long travel system for the rangers, you might also want to try Donahoe racing in Anahiem..

sbro

The baja shop ranger looks completely custom. I was kind of hoping for a kit that wouldn't have the custom price tag. Also, Camburg doesn't have a long travel kit. They don't make a lower arm yet that I know of. I have the Fabtech version of the same Camburg lift, upper arm, spindle, coil. I was looking into a kit with lower arms and hopefully coil overs.

John Bitting

Administrator
on Camburgs website there is a white ranger with blue suspension it is long travel coil over with air bump, it might not be on there shelf kit but they have already made it once which means they will have jogs to make it again faster and cheaper. As far as the bajashop they make no kits, everything they do is one off, They do really good work and are very reasonable, Give them a call , it does not hurt to ask.

singlehanded

If I were you I call camburg, donahoe and the baja shop(and anywhere else that can do a long travel kit) compare prices and what you will get. You might be suprised I ended up getting my truck 94 ranger done at the baja shop for the same price as some kits elsewhere but I think the quality is better and its not a kit. By the way SI is an awsome shop just a little bit out of my price range, but it also sounds like you dont wanna spend 5 g's on the front end alone. Also remember once the front is done there is still the rear. Dont spend so much on the front that the rear ends up being stock for a couple years.

local

sbro

I'll try giving the Baja shop and Donahoe a call. I'm staying away from Camburg though, because myself and friends have had bad experiences with them. Also, their custom lower arms don't appear to be any longer than the stock ones. I think they were just made to accept coil overs. I think the 3" wider track is due to the spidles, not the arms.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Call Jeff Lewis at Precision Fab (949-498-2150). He just finished my truck and it came out pretty sick. It took about 7 weeks but that was custom and he now has all the jigs and measurements. You will have to call him about the price. If you want to see some pics or find out some specs I can e-mail them to you or just post them up. If you are looking for an actual bolt on kit no one makes one. I have called and visited every fab shop in C.A. However look for Camburg and H&M Motorsports to come out with one soon.

Eric

bajaboy

I actually just saw AJ's kit last week , it's powdercoated about the same color as camburgs with yellow bushings , The only difference between Baja Shop's and SI's that I noticed was the size of the uniball's , Baja Shop's seemed a little smaller . AJ has some pretty fair prices , he's a nice guy , give him a call , he's not one of those owners who hides in the office .

sbro

I'll try to give these shops a call tomorrow. Dirtwrks7, I definitely want to see pics. What exactly did you have done? how much travel are you getting? You can e-mail those pics to me at sean_breaux@yahoo.com if it isn't too much trouble. I never really considered going custom, but it looks like I'm not going to find what I want in a bolt on kit. Thanks again for all the info/suggestions, keep em coming.

Greg

Make sure you ask the builders if they actually take thier trucks off-road. So many shops build stuff and never even push their design to see if it will hold up. Aj knows what it takes to make a truck work and ive seen the truck from jeff lewis, it is really nice.

Greg

bajaboy

The Ranger that Jeff Lewis build is pretty sweet , it's stroking more travel then anyone else's a arm ranger out there supposedly, but then again it was all custom built , Jeff built the jig's with lots of care , maybe he still has them laying around some where.

sbro

Do you know how much travel he is getting? I am hoping for a minimum of 12" on whatever i decide to get. I still need to talk to Donahoe and Precision, neither were available today. Anyone else know of a good fab shop that can make quality long travel set ups? Or one that has already done a few 98+ rangers?

Jerry Zaiden

The SI kit uses the Camburg Spindle. Wich is the same as the H&M spindle. The kit we make is expensive because of how it is made. The Coil over sits in the arm not on top of it. This takes lots of time to build. The Arms we make are 2" wider per side and the spindle is 1.5 per side. The kit gets around 12" and will cost $5000 installed. That price includes upper and lower arms, 2.5" coilovers, air bumps, spindles, limit straps, etc...

WFODAN

Actually to correct John Bitting , The Baja Shop does sell the same kit that is on AJ's truck in last months issue of Off Road Magazine . AJ is starting to produce more kits as well as the custom fab stuff . The kit gets 15 inches of travel , and goes off of the stock mounting points . Due to the fact of having to mount the coilovers , the kit has to be installed at the shop . The kit has been tested to the limits of the truck , and I would have to say , it is about the toughest stock arm location mounted kit I've seen . There are a lot of nice kits out today , it just depends on what you want to do with the truck .

Dan Vance

sbro

I talked to the Baja Shop, and they gave me a really good price. As far as quality/price/travel goes I am looking at the Baja Shop setup. I have to admit, I have been admiring that Camburg setup since I got my Ranger, but I was hoping for a little more travel for the price I am paying. I still need to talk to Precision, everyone is saying theirs is really nice and gets the most travel. Thanks again for all your guys help. Keep the ideas coming if you got em.

John Bitting

Administrator
Sbro, I dont know how new to the sport you are but travel is all relative.. You could have 10 solid inches of usuable travel that will spank an 18" of sloppy travel truck. I chased for Jamie Campbell last year in a Stock Mini. He had 9 3/4" travel in the front and would fly through Barstow just as fast as a 7 open. Ask Dan Vance Jamies truck was really fast. So I have said it before and I will say it again. Bigger is not always better. Quality over quantity...Dont be in search of the most travel, really think about what you get for the money. Has the company been around for awhile, do they stand behind there product. What is other peoples opinions on the company.. Things like that. I can tell you that Camburg and Baja Shop are very very good friends of ours here at RDC and we think they both have great products so we will not say whos is better that is for you to figure out what you want to do with the product. Good Luck.....

sbro

Sorry, I guess I assumed these shops were referring to the usable travel of their products. I am not looking to make some midlife-crisis monster truck. I understand the concept "Travel=good, Lift=bad", but obviously am no expert. Forgive me for sounding like a travel-happy freak. I don't want to go overboard, but I am looking for the most quality/stability/usable travel for my buck and am asking for opinions. I am just doing some research before I invest a good chunk of money into my suspension. Thanks for all the help.

singlehanded

I not sure if you grasped what John b. meant. He is saying dont blow all your money getting the most travel and then end up with only 50 bucks for shocks per side. If you want your truck to work good get a less expensive kit and a coilover 2.5 shock so the travel works with the truck. But hey if you have the buck get the most travel strongest kit with a coilover and a bypass.
LOTS OF TRAVEL=POSSIBILITY FOR A GOOD RIDE
GOOD SHOCKS =GOOD RIDE
Hope that helps a little.

local

bajaboy

Travel is good , but other things need to compliment it . I'm sure you want some added performance and safety with a roll cage , you'll feel safer and the truck will feel and land stiffer if decide to expand the cage into the engine compartment and bed . If your going to get coilovers i'm sure you'll have a nice hoop running up near the engine , great place for any of the shops named to start a engine cage .

Bajaboy