'99 f150 glassworks fenders

FordFreak

Reaction
\'99 f150 glassworks fenders

I just got a pair of glassworks front fenders for my '99 f-150 and am contemplating mounting them myself. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have read a lot of post on here about glass, but never have done an glass work. I look at the instructions and think I can do it, what do you guys think? I was wondering if I should paint the insides to help keep them in good shape. I remember reading a post in here about using line-x to coat it and was wondering if anyone did that and how it went. Any tips on mounting would be appreciated. Thanks

Adam
I only drive trucks...Powered By American Muscle!

FordFreak

Reaction
Re: \'99 f150 glassworks fenders

Common guys, help me out here. Please give me some tips for installing these things. Would mounting them straight form glassworks with out prepping them reduce the durability of the fenders?

Adam

BigD

Reaction

their absolut cake! im mechanically retarded and i did all the work myself and they turned out great. make sure your careful when drilling the holes and thats about it. double check to make sure their in the right place and do a clean job. really easy though otherwise id say.

tedmales

Reaction

the inside of the glass needs to be sealed. the line x would be great, and it would help the rock chips form the inside. they should be painted because the resins that are in the glass will not take the uv rays from the sun. i am not sure how well the fendrs you got fit, but probably pretty well. i personally would mount them and fit them, then pull them back off and paint them( or have them painted if your not able to, or do not have the equipment to) and i would shoot the insides also. the paint will make them last a long time, without the will oxidize in the sun, and then painting them will be a pain. i do not think they would be hard to mount at all, just some of the newer truck have the original fenders and the inner fender well are one piece, so you might have to move whatever is on the fender wells and make a new mount for them. i am not sure, maybe someone who has the same truck can comment on that. good luck.

life is too short to be small

In_the_works

Reaction

on the topic of painting glass, what kind of over the counter primer, paint, and clear coat works best on fiberglass?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

tedmales

Reaction

i am in arizona so i can get anything i want from my local paint supplier. i like house of color, and always the big ones like ppg and valspar, etc. they all make pretty good products. your best paints are going to be 2 part( paint and an activator) urethanes. they hold up well, and are pretty durable. when it comes to over the counter in cali, i am not sure what you can get over the counter. i think your limited to basically whatever can be put into a rattle can. most supply house can put acrilic enamel into a can, but its a single stage color and they do not hold up well. probably better than crylon rattle cans, but nothing like a good 2 part paint. for primers i like epoxy primers. they hold up very well, and adhere to bare metal.. the best bet is to find a local paint supply house and use whatever system they use. all the companies make decent products nowadays, so i would stick to what i could get the easiest.
good luck

FordFreak

Reaction

would I be able to just apply the line-X to the the glass or would I have to prep it first with some primer/paint. My buddy has a guy who's company is not doing well so he can hook me up on paint. Should I just have the whole fender painted then line-x'd or line-x the inside then paint outside? why should I mount the glass then have is painted then remount the glass? Thanks for al the help.

Adam

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

because when you fit up the glass you will end up scratching it if it is already painted...especially if you are doing the fit up solo. Once the glass is fitted and mounted it should only take about 5 minutes to take on and off.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

tedmales

Reaction

i would ( as a painter) always fit things first. even a stock fender from ford might not fit right first time and its gonna get scratched. its not if, its going to, especially if its painted first. i would fit it and then when its where i think it should be, then remove it, mark all the shimms you use and be shure to label them well so it goes back just how it was when you were finished. then i would have it line x'd then check again for fit i case some line x gets near the mounting points. or when you have it coated make sure all the mounting surfaces are covered because line x can be pretty thick. then after fitted and coated i would paint them. the line x guys tend to be a little rough in things so the last thing i would do is paint. once its painted i would put 2" wide masking tape on all the corners where the fender could maybe possibly hit something to try to save it from getting scratched. be sure to buy good tape because cheap tape might take the paint with it. you can pull off a piece of tape and touch it to your clothes to pull a little lint off, then put it on your paint. that way its not quite so sticky. you might find all the extra work doesn't make sense if your gonna beat the hell out of your truck, but if its done well the first time you will alway be happy with it. have fun.

In_the_works

Reaction

Just tried rattle-canning my glass. ewwww. The primer turned out just fine, but for the final coloring, Im gonna take it to maaco or the equivalent. They quoted me $300 for the pair.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

tedmales

Reaction

2 fenders for $300, man there are guys here who will paint a whole car for $300. but were so closeto mexico. just make sure that YOU get the rattle can paint off. the 1 day paint and body guys spray pretty well, but they have to skimp on the prep to get things in and out. i would get some 400 grit wet and go over the whole fender untill its really smooth and most if not all paint comes off. the thing about good panit is that its only as good as whats under it ,and it will tend to lift whats under it if its not as strong chemically. hope that make sense.

robert_encinas

Reaction

tried to cut corners and blew it , didnt ya.did you at least get them fitted properly?

In_the_works

Reaction

Oh yeah, I took my time on that. The hannemann glass lines up really well with my trucks body lines, check it out. making the core supports sucked though. I'd like to maybe get some samller radiator fluid and washer fluid reservoirs, together they take up almost a cubic foot of space, any suggestions?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

In_the_works

Reaction

forgot the pic

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Just out of curiosity In_the_works, why would you spend the money on fiberglass and not replace those shocks or something? I've always wondered why people put 'glass on trucks when obviously the money could have been spent else where? Give me some insight......

P.S. I am not trying to "dis" your truck or anything

See ya in the dirt!

jeff

Reaction

Cuz it's "In The Works"

Aloha

In_the_works

Reaction

ahhhhh, I knew that question would pop up sooner or later. I didn't have much $$ left over for aftermarket coilbuckets after I got my bent beams. I've had the fenders for about 6 months, and wanted to use the space in my room for something else, but feel free to send donations if it's that big of a deal.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma