99 ranger cv boots removal

boltonbros

Reaction
Help, i need help on getting my cv boots off my 99 ranger. i was driving to fast in 4x4 and it riped my outer cv boots to peices. i need a diagram on how to put the new ones on. the cv joint will not come off. what do i have to do. please help i need my truck rolling.

AaronDixon

Reaction
I don't think its that easy... Removing the axle from the outer CV joint can be a bitch. Basically, you have to be lucky. try a few whacks from a big plastic hammer. you will probably have to take off the inner CV to get the boot on for the outer. Have fun.

tedmales

Reaction
put the shaft in a vice. get a hammer and hit the base of the outer joint. a good solid hit, but not like you hate it or anything. it should pop off. there is a small ring retainer on the shaft and you need to get past that. once its off do not replace the ring use the old one. put it back the same way, but put the nut on the end of the shaft so you do not ruin the threads.

Project1500

Reaction
if I were you i would just get a rebuilt one and turn yours in as a core. Did you drive on it much after the boot was torn?