$$$$_SEMA Show 2009 Attendance_$$$$

Stinky Gas

Reaction
Anyone have an idea how attendance is looking for this year?
I hear a lot of people are up in the air!

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Alot of manufactures that i have talked to pulled the chutes on that show months ago. They need to get the attendees under control. There is so much public there it is a waste of time for alot of the manufactures

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Alot of manufactures that i have talked to pulled the chutes on that show months ago. They need to get the attendees under control. There is so much public there it is a waste of time for alot of the manufactures

Amen, My Dad and I are members of SEMA through our Foundry, and people ALWAYS hit us up to buy passes for them.. LAME!

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Amen, My Dad and I are members of SEMA through our Foundry, and people ALWAYS hit us up to buy passes for them.. LAME!

Most common deal......do you have any free stuff? WTH manufactures dont spend the kind of coin they do to do that show to give stuff away. Most have no idea what it costs to do that show.

Stinky Gas

Reaction
That sucks to here because I have made a lot of great contacts from the show.

Mumzy

Reaction
My last year "at" Sema involved a suite at the Mirage, and face to face meetings with my reps and key accounts. I politely contacted several prospective accounts, and did meet with them either over dinner, or in our suite. This seemed to be just as productive as the 50+k we spent the year before. There is something to be said about having a new product being presented in a private non-competing environment, verses on the floor at the show where all of the products in a particular category begin to loose their individuality.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
my last year "at" sema involved a suite at the mirage, and face to face meetings with my reps and key accounts. I politely contacted several prospective accounts, and did meet with them either over dinner, or in our suite. This seemed to be just as productive as the 50+k we spent the year before. There is something to be said about having a new product being presented in a private non-competing environment, verses on the floor at the show where all of the products in a particular category begin to loose their individuality.

bingo!!!!!

michael_loomis

Reaction
Can you define general public?

I have ALWAYS wanted to check out SEMA.. although I hear it is more of a wheel show now.

You guys know what I do, do I have a right to go?

racer56

Reaction
Sema has been a wheel show for about 15 years now, but it is still cool to see all the cars. Attendance will probably be down this year, but the show will still be huge.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Well, I sell luxury and exotic cars. I have clients that want custom stuff all the time. I think I fit into the SEMA crowd quite well... but even If I didnt work here, I'd still want to go. :)

baja619

Reaction
Sounds like you could be a "Buyer" so when they see that on your badge you will usually get treated pretty good.

I was wearing a "Media" badge when I went last year and was asked about any kind of press or articles I could offer.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Cool, thanks for the info.

Stinky Gas

Reaction
Do you think it would help if they increased the cost to attend and in turn reduce the price for the booths?

Mumzy

Reaction
Do you think it would help if they increased the cost to attend and in turn reduce the price for the booths?

SEMA is a Trade show...not a public event. SEMA is more interested in your yearly dues than how much you pay at the door. With all the different parties involved in exhibiting at the show, lowering the cost with be about as easy as balancing California's budget.

NOTHING is free at the SEMA show. Everywhere you turn someone is trying to pry $$$$ out of your hand, and it starts months before in Diamond Bar. SEMA is like Congress, they expect everyone to buck up and follow their lead.

Am I sounding a little negative? :cool:

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Well, I sell luxury and exotic cars. I have clients that want custom stuff all the time. I think I fit into the SEMA crowd quite well... but even If I didnt work here, I'd still want to go. :)

yeah you would fit it! Some dude would probably want MOMO rims on his Lambo! hahahahaa:D

D4D

Reaction
It is kind of funny. SEMA says they are trying to crack down on the consumers coming into the show but this year they are allowing companies to do special promo ticket give aways. Your company can have a raffle and give SEMA passes away, and give them away to anyone! It is total BS.

Here is my prespective on the show. In 14 years doing it, last year was the most succesful show I have ever had. We did do some unique things at the show and had a big product intro but for the most part the genergal public guys seemed to be down, that is excpet for Friday, Friday seemed to be a consumer only day. The slow economy while effecting the industry and who displays at the show it has also effected the normal guy coming. In years past I would get hit by a million people wanting sponsorship, last year I only talked to 4 people and all four of those were real people and we sponsored 2 of them.

I think the show is what you make it to be. We offer a number of unique things at SEMA, we do a LOT of pre-event marketing and it works for us. Anyone remember 4 years ago when we had huge banners hung in the airport or when we gave away 25,000 T-shirts and made people wear them during the show, when we gave a truck away at the show? If you are aggresive the show can work even in todays economy.
But the industry and the market in general have changed, this is the case with all the industry trade shows. The days are gone when you can just throw up a booth and expect business.

MALIBLOC

Reaction
after 8 years in the industry , I left, sales have drop drastically, I think the same for sema, more people are cutting back big time, look at Fabtech,they almost sold for 3 million or something recent but the deal never went thru. Superlift is having trouble too, they can't even fill orders because of other parts from various vendors that hold up full lift kits.
sema is a bi%$N show to go to , but no one, and I mean no-one is spending money, I can't remember the last time I sold anything bullydog. Sorry but, it's the truth. people would buy a superchip for 349.00 all day long. The tradeshow are effected big time, supposedly Nissan and Infiniti aren't doing a booth in detroit as big as they used too( one of my partner set's up tradeshow booth).
Take it as you will, but for being there first hand, Sema will always be around, companies come and go................