a arm design

xnoregretsx

Reaction
i want to build a set of boxed lowers and tubular uppers using a vertical uniball
im not sure of the dimensions .. i just figured id take my basic drawing and apply it to the dimensions of the stock a arms.. plus 5 inches in length and 1.5" forward
would that work? and if i used say.. another companys vertical uniball spindle instead of learning how to make my own would it be more affective than taking a fabtech lift spindle and cutting it and just running a regular uniball on the arms...

its not for a race vehicle or anything.. probably just a beater.. an old nissan or toyota or something .. it will have a coilover and bypass or resi shock tho no bumps

help me out please

aarmsrh3.jpg

Last edited:

xnoregretsx

Reaction
that many views and nobody can help?? come onnnn i know alot of you guys are smarter than meee .. i dont wanna build this and then get hurt lol

CMazzulla

Reaction
There are so many ways to do things..... I think you should try to understand the geometry of your vehicle and suspension before actually attempting to build your arms. Castor/Camber/Scrub/Bump Steer/Spindle Inclination and Height/ETC.... It sounds easy to just get "Long Travel" but many people forget about all of the small elements that can make the vehicle not drive correct or break. Some may not even know or care if it doesnt work right, they just want a LT front end. I suggest you break down each element of the suspension and get a better understanding on how certain parts are going to function on you truck.

SimonSays

Reaction
There are so many ways to do things..... I think you should try to understand the geometry of your vehicle and suspension before actually attempting to build your arms. Castor/Camber/Scrub/Bump Steer/Spindle Inclination and Height/ETC.... It sounds easy to just get "Long Travel" but many people forget about all of the small elements that can make the vehicle not drive correct or break. Some may not even know or care if it doesnt work right, they just want a LT front end. I suggest you break down each element of the suspension and get a better understanding on how certain parts are going to function on you truck.

true dat. lol and even once you do build it you still may find things that dont work like you thought and have to do some redesigning. lt front ends are complicated and take a lot of work.

OneUpFabrication

Reaction
ya here are a few pix of the suspension im making for my baja. its pulling 20+" it will proly be starpped at 20 to 18" depending of steering. also you drawing looks good i would say to stay away from equal length arms. try making the upper arm a lil shorter it should help.
well here is my design i have one at ride height, one at full bump and droop. also theres on with the mock up on my baja

droopbug.jpg

fulldroop.jpg

fullbump.jpg

rideheight-1.jpg

xnoregretsx

Reaction
i probably wont do equal length
but i will end up using a spindle thats designed for the vehicle
i dont want to end up over my head
i built a set for a golf cart that worked good its just a trial and error thing i guess

Bulldozer

Reaction
I agree you should try to get the best geometry possible but there are hack beam setups that work somewhat well and as far as i'm concerned half assed a arm geometry is probably still better then average beam geometry.

OneUpFabrication

Reaction
you should try and make a mock up like I did I cut the upper and lower to the length I was wanting (26 upper and 28 lower) I drew my spindle out on some plywood and cut it out. I used loosely tightened bolts for the pivot points and it have me a good idea on what it was going to travel like.. and it pointed out things I needed to change like instead of the 26" upper I ended up with a 24" upper and a 28" lower I also moved th upper inner pivots out by 2" and down by 1" this setup gave me a little more camber at bump and less at full droop now metal to metal it cycles 24" but that will get limited with steering and stuff but so far so good the car will sit with a 15" ground clearence 9" up travel leaving me 5" of ground clearence at bump and 15" of down travel again will most likley be limited from steering..

but to get back on subject you should try and make the mock up it will make things a lot easier for when you put it into metal..

OneUpFabrication

Reaction
not to hi-jack you thread but heres some of the work i got done on my setup.. no arms yet im waiting on my bulk head to be cut out..
0_a-armmounts2.jpg

0_a-armmounts.jpg

0firewall.jpg

OneUpFabrication

Reaction
here's some cad drawings of my baja suspension, bulkhead, and spindle uprights. the program I used is called alibre designs you can download a free 30day trial on there web site

oacad6.jpg

oacad5.jpg

0_acad2.jpg

0acad4.jpg

0acad3.jpg

0acad.jpg