A Arm Travel

TRDshaunTRD

That’s a rater vague question! Are you talking about TT a-arms, Toyota a-arms, etc.? Also, are you talking stock mounting points and stock length? Be more specific!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Lets make it interesting and say the most travel you could get out of a-arms on a TT. Forget about the fact that it may be pointless to have that much travel and just focus on keeping the geometry correct ect. Basically, is there a point at which they won't work? Do you think 30", 35"?

See ya in the dirt!

khoolguy

Whats the difference between toyota A arms and TT arms. I'm new into this whole thing, So I'm trying to learm as much as I can. I was just woundering cause my friend wants to build his yota up and just wanted to know how much travel can you get from the stock mounts and with custom mounts with custom a arms?

Greg J.

TRDshaunTRD

yota is right about the 10-14 inches of travel with stock locations. They can get more than that if the arms are extended even more. Camburg, ATS, and Total Chaos are a few that offer extended a-arms for Toyotas that range in travel between 10-14 inches. TT (Trophy Truck) A-arms are totally different for the fact that many mount toward the center of the truck, and the engine sits back. This enables the arms to be a lot longer which lets the tires cycle a lot more travel with out having large angles from the arms drooping and compressing which can cause steering problems and more. TT's can have a good working a-arm set up at around 30" but it is not necessary to even have that much. I think that they may be able to go max around 3 feet of travel if someone was building a TT specifically with huge travel in mind.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Jack

You can get about 10' if the arms arm 20'. There has to be a limit to what you want just don't go over 30 degres up or down,and it should be fine (maybe less if it is four wheel drive) Go as wide as you can/need to. Put the pivot points as close together as posable or invert them. Make your steering geometry match, and there you go.

Jerry Zaiden

The fastest trucks and buggies in the desert run 20-26" of travel up front and 20-28" in the rear.

evan_clanin

can too much travle, be a bad thing and some how work against u?

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

BIG_FAT_LOSER

With a "magic tape measure" I get aprox 14" with 6" longer arms using stock mounts and ball joints on my toyota.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

cleartoy

Im getttin 12.5" on my 3" wider TC uniball kit out of the claimed 13".

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

motoxscott

I get about 4" of travel of the claimed 4.5" with my front end. Maybe because it's a solid axle and I'm running 8" lift leaf springs.

Nahhhhh that cant be it!

Just4Fun

I've limited mine at 18 using stock mounting points and ive widened it 10" overall and built custom uprights. Our truggy has 28 in the front.
Jason
P.M. Fabrication

FABRICATOR

A-arm suspension travel capabilities are determined by overall outside-to-outside wheel width and control arm length. Maximum travel from a car that is at or near maximum width allowed by SCORE is about 30 inches. But this can be, and usually is, affected by where the lower control arm attaches to the spindle, tire diameter, chassis requirements, vehicle weight, etc. In practice, 27 to 28 inches is about it. This is particularly applicable to front suspension because A arm suspension works so well. It's one of the few things on a modern car that isn't lame (addressed on a previous thread). Please know that there are strong yet simple suspension systems besides A-arms for the rear which are capable of significantly more than this amount of travel. So, the competition with solid axles is far from over.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Donahoe

Wheel Travel, Wheel Travel, Wheel Travel, Wheel Travel..... Blah blah blah....... Means nothing..... Suspension performance comes from looking at the vehical as a whole. Front suspension and rear and how they work together.... Shock tuning is the end all be all of suspension delelopment. Dont let Fab shops and lift kit companies Brain wash you into thinking you need Big wheel travel. They are just mesuring there Dicks. Its not the size of the sword its how sharp the son of a bitch is....

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

FABRICATOR

Your partially right...but the original question was "How much can you get."

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

motoxscott

Matt you're just saying that because you're locked into 10" of travel in the front !

Just kidding, size doesnt matter, wait I mean, quality not quantity...........thats what I keep telling myself though........

Donahoe

"Your partially right..." I was making a statment to the fact that the "how MUCH wheel travel" question was asked in the first place. So noo Mr FABRICATOR... I'm All Right... I was questioning the question... Not attempting to give an answer...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!