A Arms in the Rear!

geoff

RDC Crypto
why doesnt anyone ever put a arms in the back? All i see is 4 links 3 links or trailing arms. The only rear A arm truck ive seen was that one paris dakar KIA which was pretty clean, although i cant remember who built it.

It just seems to me to be a REALLY simple and effective way to do things... any reasons why not??

mfs

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
cant get as much travel with cv joints u can only run so much angle 22 to 25" is the most and thats with all the high doller stuff & relly wide too , plus transaxles are costly and dont hold up as well inless its lower hp.

Scrapiron

RDC Crypto
The Elite 10 car is A-arm front and rear. I have been past by them in some big stuff and was realy impressed at how the car worked. Look for pics on trackside under the name Aymar. They are getting ready to built a new one and judging by the new prerunner they have it will be very sweet. They claim to have no cv plunge. I have no idea what this guy is talking about with angles of cv's last I checked we all ran the same 930's or 935's. They also run a Mendeola 5 speed just like the rest of us.

geoff

RDC Crypto
i was thinking about using a supra motor and a turbo400 trans with a real short driveshaft connecting the trans to a supra third member, that way i wouldnt worry about a transaxle and it would move the weight forward a bit. For axles, i could definately go with a 930, but thats the least of my worries. We use the supra rears in drag cars and they never break, one car is running 7.89 on street tires and the original OEM rear (lsd) and oem axles.

that zero CV plunge is a really interesting idea tho... i dont see how you could get the susp geometry to do that, but maybe im missing something

i am looking for the pics but i dont know where trackside is?

mexracer10

RDC Crypto
Look at alot of the sand cars that have rear a arms, some are using u joints insted of cv's. The u-joint axles dont plunge, so all you have to do is make your a-arms work the same as your axle, since the a-arms work on a radius perpendicular to the car so will the axles.

mexracer10

RDC Crypto
Also corvets have the irs set up with a gm 12 bolt center section with short "driveshaft" like axles to the wheels. Corvets have ran mean hp numbers to the wheels and dont break the rear ends. I had always toyed with the idea of biulding a 4 seater with the corvet rear end

mfs

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
mfs said:
cant get as much travel with cv joints u can only run so much angle 22 to 25" is the most and thats with all the high doller stuff & relly wide too , plus transaxles are costly and dont hold up as well inless its lower hp.

edit: 22-25" travel.

rear 3- link with rear end 28" to 36" travel

geoff

RDC Crypto
yeah a corvette rear would definately be a viable option.

i dont see much wrong with a 25" travel rear end, particularly if the suspension is setup really well with properly valved shocks. The advantages of independant suspension are very appealing

1450-ranger

RDC Crypto
Website
www.giantmotorsports.com
Aymar_0529.jpg

Aymar_0532.jpg

Aymar_0533.jpg

Aymar_0536.jpg

mfs

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
how about this diff its a toyota 7.5 w 930 adapters and 4.88 gears. its for sale.

Attachments

• toyota front diff.jpg
    toyota front diff.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 511

mfs

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
geoff said:
i dont see much wrong with a 25" travel rear end, particularly if the suspension is setup really well with properly valved shocks. The advantages of independant suspension are very appealing

25" with big buget and it would have to be really wide. i would say why u dont see it that much is cost.

grantdcol

RDC Crypto
I don't think it has to be all that costly if you keep your standard drivetrain and use an OEM IRS differential, especially compared to a comperable 3/4 link.

Perhaps a better option than a semi-rare corvette transaxle is an 8.8" centersection from a ford thunderbird. The new Explorers and Expeditions with IRS open up two other options for a rearend - I believe the Expendition uses an IRS version of the 9.75" truck axle.

Also, a trailing arm setup would be the way to go instead of true a-arms. More rearward travel, and possibly reduced axle angles if engineered right.

-Colin

mexracer10

RDC Crypto
The Mike Tieman truck also irs and Danny lettner also irs and the old Fortin tt also irs which ibarra has i think, and toyota tt also irs there must be something there that works