A beginning question

aksslc

Reaction
I am new and just registered recently but have been looking at this board for the last few years. I am looking for a little help to get started in racing desert. I have raced motorcycles in the desert but my knees can't take the beating anymore. I am on 3 knee reconstructions and counting.

I am looking at purchasing a trophylite or a class 10? Seems like a pretty good deal, plenty of crossover to series. While I like the idea of facing in the desert, short course looks like a ton of fun too. Is one better to start in versus the other? I would love to hear some experienced racers' opinions. What is the best class to start in? I don't want to build something, I only want to repair/replace things :)

I realize the truck is just the beginning. Thanks for you patience with a rookie.

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
Reaction
I am new and just registered recently but have been looking at this board for the last few years. I am looking for a little help to get started in racing desert. I have raced motorcycles in the desert but my knees can't take the beating anymore. I am on 3 knee reconstructions and counting.

I am looking at purchasing a trophylite or a class 10? Seems like a pretty good deal, plenty of crossover to series. While I like the idea of facing in the desert, short course looks like a ton of fun too. Is one better to start in versus the other? I would love to hear some experienced racers' opinions. What is the best class to start in? I don't want to build something, I only want to repair/replace things :)

I realize the truck is just the beginning. Thanks for you patience with a rookie.

the first question you need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend? Once you have an idea of how much you want to put down on a vehicle/car you should find some racers who now how much prep costs per race are and go from there. Moto guys seem to transfer from bike to car well so that shouldn't be a problem. Money has to do with alot in desert racing. hope this helps. btw, class 10 is really expensive!! haha

LukeMcMillin

Reaction
I think a Trophy Lite would be a good class to start racing in, or if your a buggy guy a 1/2 1600 car is also a good starting class, many will agree with 1600. IMO small desert races like MDR would be better than short course racing as a rookie and since your a bike guy I think you would like desert racing (obviously, both are fun). Cody is right a 10 car is more expensive than like a trophy lite or 1600. I know there are a few good 1600 cars out for sale right now, I am not sure about used Trophy lites for sale, someone else would know, but you would probably have to have TL build one for you.

Matt Stevens

Reaction
Racing in any class is not very expencive, Competing in any class is very expencive.
And Desert is much better than short course if you like the desert. If you go to the referance section of dezertrides.com they have a list of classes and costs. they're not 100% acurate but they're close.

DailyPedal

Reaction
I think you need to figure out if you like going to short course or desert first. Then determine if you are a truck or a buggy person. Also look at where (location) you would like to race. Since you are all the way in Utah, logistics come into play as much as anything. 10-cars are very expensive to build and maintain as they are a short step below an unlimited car so what is your budget? A 1600 car may be ideal only because a desert car can race short course with a little work. At least enough to get your feet wet in both types of racing. 10-cars are desert only (with very few exceptions) and then there are the spec classes like trophy lite. They don't race everywhere and they are still a growing class...so competition may be an issue.
I guess the bottom line is nothing is perfect, figure out how much you want to spend per year, double it then come back for more questions/answers/confusion;)

43mod

Reaction
so far i really like being able to buy TL parts and bolt them on and a bulletproof moter.downside you cant make those little modifications that make a rig better without breaking the rules.they are very loud and this may be what kills it for me if they will not let me make a change.

BajaTJ

Reaction
I'm in the same boat. School is killing me and I just want to go play. King of the Hammers was my downfall, after seeing all of the excitement a few friends have been looking at the cost of putting a race team togather. I still have over 2 years till schools over so I have been kicking around class 5/1600 cause the heritage of the vw and the fact that I can tear one down in the dark ( I grew up with VW's ). To me this class is a good start for now later the car can be a-armed and become a prerunner as we want to go jeepspeeding too.

Fast Eddy

Reaction
I'd ask yourself do you want to race just a few minutes at a time or do you want to race all day? Short coarse you'd be able to do it with a smaller crew for help too. Your race to race prep will be alot differant. 1600 would be a great place to start. If you like to be competitve though, the short coarse cars and dezert cars are two complete differant things. Sorry to hear about the knees. That will turn you into an old man fast.

promaxmarine

Reaction
remember that the car is the cheap part, to be competitive you need man power and spares! good luck and hope to see you at the track!

Matt Stevens

Reaction
And if your just in salt lake you should look at the 10 car programs in your area to figure out what is involved. Allen Gerber, Brandon Dawson, And Myself all run 10 cars, Gerber just went class 1 as well, we are in the process of puting together a class 8, Dave Blakley out in saratoga runs a class 7 and there are lots of others, lots of 8 trucks. you should run out to the Bore race in wendover May 1-2 alot of racers from here will be there and can offer good sound advice. But there are at least 50 teams from Utah so dont worry about logistics you can't be from here to mexico in just 12 hours.... or hire someone to drive your rigs down and meat them in san dieago the flight is 1.5 hours:D

GHull

Reaction
hey, there is a race in Wendover on May 2nd should swing on over and check it out

aksslc

Reaction
Great suggestions. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. I think I am interested more in desert racing than short courses (more time to make up for all the mistakes I am going to make and also more trouble to get into :) ).

Sounds like there is a good community of racers in Salt Lake. Anyone wanna go to lunch and let me pick their brain? I'm buying?

The more I look at the trophylite idea, the more I like it. At the same time reading through the rules, there ain't that much mechanically that you can do to give yourself an edge. And having a great mechanic is an edge that I thought I could bring. :cool: