A for effort, F for results, right?

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
A friend of mine just told me he had his transmission done by a good friend of his, he also bragged he didn't spend a fortune since his friend just "adapted" some Jetta transmission gears into his 091 to modify the ratios.....

I was skeptical, since I was almost certain the shafts were not compatible, but heck who am I to argue since VW is very good at using their car tooling and most cars you can swap stuff back and forth...

When we opened the transmission just to see what had he done we stumbled into this (pics attached)......I have to give the guy an A for ingenuity, but I would assume you just cant machine and weld gears like that since most of these gears have specific thermal treatments and welding "stuff" into them most likely will change the mechanical properties of the gear.....right?

Does a mod like this have a chance in hell to survive? My guess is NO, but I am no expert, whats your thought guys? :rolleyes:

Attachments

5racer

Reaction
you never know iv seen crazier things than this work very well.lol

Captain Air Time

Reaction
I've seen some pretty strange welded shafts hold up, so I suppose time wil tell. The stress load is on the teeth, so depending how hot he made it, it has a chance. I'd take the one with the weld farthest from the OD, If I had to back one to survive :D

Tech Tim

Reaction
I've seen that done a few times, just hope he used the right filler and heat range.

The internal teeth are actually quite strong in that application because they are under compression. The shaft will be trying to expand the internal spline, but won't be able to because of the meat of the gear.

I would've tried to get a little more meat around the center splines and hopefully the guy used a press-fit for the outer gear ring, but done right, they should be OK.

manicmechanic

Reaction
Looks like a heck of a good gear to me, and follows alot of what I have seen done in mexico! Try to keep some of the dirt, cigarette butts and sawsall shavings out of the gearbox when you put it back together!

mustafa

Reaction
It welding may not have tempered the material too much, but I would be more concerned with the concentricity of the gear itself. It it's off, then you'll really have some problems.

SPROCKET

Reaction
I grewup on a island and we did alot of imagenigering. I would use it.