A High Schooler’s Prerunner Build

Bobby Rice

RDC Crypto
Just a little update. Haven’t don’t much to the truck lately, just getting the little kinks worked out like a pesky check engine light and power Windows that stopped working.

Luckily enough I was able to get the whole truck painted through a warrantee so I only had to pay for the bedsides to be painted!

In hopes to keep the paint from fading and getting tons of micro scratches, I picked up a chemical guys cleaning kit and some jet seal from them as well. I have to admit, the truck has never looked better! Gonna try to stay on top of waxing the truck every 3 months and redoing the sealant every 6 months just to be safe.

I am VERY impressed with how well the sealant and wax has protected the paint thus far. Went on a couple desert trips and got (what I thought were) gnarly bush scratches along the whole side of the truck and after washing it, the scratches didn’t seem to penetrate the sealant and scratch the actual paint! Just take a look for yourself on how clean this thing looks!

Also a little addition to the red white and blue theme, I had the roof wrapped with an American flag. A nice little touch to say the least
851CA67E-821C-48D2-9980-4B3D08E6D196.jpeg
19B8979C-0716-46B4-BCC1-DEDCBC2AD015.jpeg
D6879389-1251-47CA-95D5-73DBF0CCF7DD.jpeg
2851AF1E-6264-44AE-806C-CB1FAE629953.jpeg
BF508021-D80E-438E-B2AB-C5AD20C710DF.jpeg
1D887621-FBC7-4395-92DF-046F193B3E27.jpeg

Bobby Rice

RDC Crypto
So I don’t think I mentioned this change of plans much at all in this thread but I’ve decided to scrap the 3 link panhard idea and chose to jump on a giant 64 link killer kit a kid in my area was selling. Brand spankin new!

Before I bought this kit, I bought 2.5x16” king bypasses which really worked out in my favor.

I have since sold the links for as much as I paid initially and didn’t have any sort of hard time selling the coilovers.

So at this point I’m just working and saving up to get this kit installed but I’m having a little bit of a difficult time searching for someone to build a bedcage for it.

If you know anyone who has time/ experience to build something like this somewhere around covina/ glendora area please let me know. I’m willing to travel a little bit but I’d really prefer to stay as local as possible.

Here is a great photo of what I’d like to get done for the bedcage.

CB3EFD1E-073E-4C62-9C3F-E7FE3A3CB5FA.png

My thoughts on this is to hopefully run dual spares sitting flat, hanging off the back of the truck for as much leverage as possible. This also doubles as a place I can rest the back tire of my dirt bike on, as long as I take off the top spare.

I love the way this bedcage ties into the cab cage and would love if someone could somewhat replicate it.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Something to think about. My buddy had a pre-runner Ranger and there wasn't much room in the bed for a dirt bike once he put his spare back there. He had his spare rack tied into his rear bumper and it would hinge so he could flop the spare down to the ground out of the way while he loaded his dirt bike and then he would flip the spare back up and secure it. It worked pretty good like that and he could squeeze two bikes in the back if he zip tied the pegs up. I don't have any pictures. He didn't have any shocks coming through the bed though.

OFFRD-JNKIE

RDC Crypto
If I can make a suggestion, I would only run 1 spare very rarely will you ever need two, included in that thought since your building a Ranger you don't have the bed space like the guys building full size trucks.

Bobby Rice

RDC Crypto
Something to think about. My buddy had a pre-runner Ranger and there wasn't much room in the bed for a dirt bike once he put his spare back there. He had his spare rack tied into his rear bumper and it would hinge so he could flop the spare down to the ground out of the way while he loaded his dirt bike and then he would flip the spare back up and secure it. It worked pretty good like that and he could squeeze two bikes in the back if he zip tied the pegs up. I don't have any pictures. He didn't have any shocks coming through the bed though.
Yeah that’s why I want to have the spares hang off the back as far as possible and also sunken into the bed. I only need to fit one bike in the bed and I’ll have a hitch on the back in case I ever wanna throw a second on there. The spare only really needs to hang like a foot and a half off the back for the back tire of the bike to rest on it.

I’ll have the bedcage designed around a dirt bike. Definitely a top priority in the design.

Bobby Rice

RDC Crypto
If I can make a suggestion, I would only run 1 spare very rarely will you ever need two, included in that thought since your building a Ranger you don't have the bed space like the guys building full size trucks.
I appreciate the suggestion but the purpose I would like to run dual spares is for the weight, not exactly because I’d need a second spare.

And I’m not sure what you mean about having less bed space. Plenty of my ranger buddies run dual spares in all sorts of ways

OFFRD-JNKIE

RDC Crypto
I appreciate the suggestion but the purpose I would like to run dual spares is for the weight, not exactly because I’d need a second spare.

And I’m not sure what you mean about having less bed space. Plenty of my ranger buddies run dual spares in all sorts of ways

What I'm saying is the bed of your truck is smaller than the bed of a full size truck. As far as mounting an extra tire just for weight why? If you take the time to tune your suspension you can make it work just as well with one tire as with two.
Are you going to move your fuel tank to the bed or put any type of storage box for spare fluids or recovery gear, ice chest, these are all things I would consider before filling your bed with tubes.
Just making suggestions as these are things that often get over looked then you se guys with things ratchet strapped all over the back of there rigs.

Bobby Rice

RDC Crypto
I saw on your Instagram that at one point the gauges were all blue. Assuming it was a stock faceplate, do you use a white bulb to get blue?
Actually the stock color is green. The blue was custom. I sanded down the back of the face plates and used colored bulbs. I’ve been meaning to make a video on it. I just swapped out the bulbs for the RWB

class5cole

RDC Crypto
Right on, thanks. Im so sick of the stock green but its such a pain in the ass to change just for fun. Hopefully a bulb burns out soon so Im forced to do it lol