• Forum membership has its advantages....

A New Kind of Racing for So Cal?

JenDiggityDirt

I need some feedback on who would be interested in a time-trial (one vehicle at a time) approx. 1.1 mile short course race in a So Cal venue, either as an entrant, spectator, or sponsor. Prize monies would be awarded for fastest lap in three street legal classes (mostly stock, modified a.k.a. coil-overs, and unlimited a.k.a four-links), and possibly a stadium class depending on interest. There might also be a jump at the finish line that each racer has the choice to take with the distance winner earning a special prize. Entry fee would be between $25-$50 with (hopefully) $1,000 prize for each class winner and smaller purses for 2nd & 3rd. There might also be a vendors and a freestyle MX show & a live band as entertainment between races. Is this something you might be interested in? Please let me know who would consider entering this type of event or if you would be interested in attending or setting up a vendor booth? If you are interested in being a sponsor please let us know, also. A tentative date has been set for the first weekend of December. I don't believe this conflicts with any other offroad events. Let me know if I've missed something. We have over 5 months to make this an incredibly cool event so please let us know what you think. We look forward to reading everyone's comments. You can also give us a call at (909) 780-5331. Email is jen@prerunners.com
Thanks in advance for your help!

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

michael_loomis

i think that is a way cool idea. i would love to enter my S-10 depending on cash flow (just incase something sad were to happen to my daily driver), but for sure would come and watch.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Jen, sound like a great idea. I would be there for sure! And if my truck is all ready to go I will enter.

Tony

Jordan

By then I will have the rear of my truck done, Im in!

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

gary

definitely in to watch...too chicken to drive.....i don't wanna have to rollerblade to work the following monday

RacerX

Where about would this event take place(facility/area)? What would the course be like, short course style or like a desert loop?

bajaboy

Jen ,

I've heard that running events like this can get really $$$ , because of insurace / liability reasons . You don't want a racer to get into a crash or get hurt and blame I.P. for it. Maybe theres some guys who run Estero or old Glen Helen can give you some tips on pulling this off ! I'm not sure what type of insurance company takes care of events like this , Any one know ?

Good Luck Jen

bajaboy

Greg

The event will be about an hour out of LA, but we cant disclose the local yet. The course will be a "short course" style track but with smoother jumps and landings (most of the landings will be down hill) but a little narrower (only 1 car at a time) and some good turns thrown in. As for insurance and liability, we have got that covered by the facility holding the event. Just like riding dirt bikes at a race, you sign your life away and ride at will. Helmets and seatbelts and verification of being 18 years old will be required. Bajaboy, your right, an event like this wont be cheap, thats why we're planning ahead and asking sponsors to become involved, our jump contest was sush a huge sucess that this should be that much better. The classes are very simple; stock is stock style suspension, modified uses coil-overs in front, and pro is anything with a linkage style rear (3/4 link). All vehicles will have to have a registration. We may also have a class for "race" cars that would be buggies or trucks built not using a vehicle to start with. The facility has room enough for the largest of crowds, ample parking, and the spectator veiwing is great. There will be a gate fee (a first for us) but we will keep it at a minimum. We are doimg our best to get national magazine coverage and turn this into a major event. The course will be fast an safe and judging will be done on time but we want to have a jump contest too so at the end of the course will be an optional jump (like our jump contest) and that will be scored independent of your time.

Greg

JCA

Sounds like fun. Would this be a one or two day event? Isn't the Las Vegas 200 BITD event first week in December? Keep us updated on classes (if you open it to race trucks)

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing

rdc

If I'm reading this right, what you are planning on doing is put on a Rally race for trucks. Is that about right? Would a Rally type vehicle be aloud to run?

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

EQuin

Hey Jen,

For what it's worth, if I lived in So Cal, I'd be real interested in doing a timed run in my mostly stock truck just for the fun of it. Personally, I think it's a great idea. If you set it up, would you have videos of it for sale and free pics on a website for the rest of us to see? Good luck with it and take care,

Ed

JenDiggityDirt

Thanks so much for your responses so far. As Greg said this will definitely take some money but if we see interest then we'll go ahead and put everything we can into making it happen. BITD does run a race on December 1st. The following weekend was no good because Xtreme International was having their Laughlin short course race. However I just found it that's been changed to Phoenix and it's now on the 14-16th (Hey Poolman we're thinking about making that weekend an AZ meeting...give me a call so we can plan it!) so December 8th looks like a do-able date. Again please let me know if anyone can think of anything this would conflict with. The DeZert People's input is going to be tremendously helpful! We've never done anything like this and to be honest it's a little scary, but exciting too. Shaun, yes it will be very much like a rally race with trucks....fun eh? We'll have to sit down and figure out the requirements for vehicles. We don't have many of the details worked out. Before I throw myself into this I want to be fairly certain that people will come. Just for the record, it's not Glen Helen...please, we couldn't pull that off. It's a very small venue but with excellent facilities and most importantly they're as excited about doing this as we are. Please keep the comments coming or feel free to email me. Every positive comment gives me a little more confidence we can make this a pretty cool event. Thanks again!
P.S. Ed, yes! Of course we'd have photos from the race up on our site and hopefully have someone getting video footage too.

rdc

Sounds great! I would get the SCCA rally rule book and check it out. They have been doing this kind of racing for a long time and have it all figured out. Could make your job of organizing this whole thing a lot easier.

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

dezertchick

Jen, the only conflict I see is Whiplash has a race scheduled for that day in Mexcio. I wouldn't let that stop you from using that date though. Good time of year, since not much happens in Dec.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiplashracing.com/race_schedule.html>http://www.whiplashracing.com/race_schedule.html</A>

JenDiggityDirt

The tuff truck races are usually a pretty short loop and not very complicated. This would be much closer to a short course uh...course. I don't know how complicated it really needs to get as far as rules. We will probably keep it a TRUCK event with the one stadium class, which would keep it pretty simple as far as rules but we're really not sure yet. DezChick...iy iy iy it looks like every weekend in November and December has SOMETHING going on so we may just have to cahnce having it on a weekend something else is going on. Thanks for the alert though! Woukld you enter Ann? Of course, I KNOW Ms. Cannon would enter, but she has to promise to not do a truck pirioette!

Greg

Not like tuff truck at all. Those events are like 1/4 mile courses and have short, steep kicker type jumps and usally flat turns. This is just like a real short course event but we will make sure the jumps have sloped backsides and the front of the jumps will be long and smooth. And the venue alows some elevation changes and the track will be at least 1 mile.

Greg

JenDiggityDirt

Duh Greg I already said that. Get back to work. Mama needs a new pair of shoes...I mean I-beams.