A night racing question for co-pilots in relation to lights on helmet.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
I don't get out of the truck if possible as a driver. During night race if co pilot has to change tire in dark kind of hard to hold flash light and do it at same time. I once saw a incar video from Mint of TT team were co-driver had a curved led stuck on his helmet im guessing you just push it or flip a switch. I have been unable to find any kind of light that sticks on or velcro that is curved for a helmet. Found a big boxy rectangle one you could put on front of helmet. Helmet lights all have straps more like a headlight.

Any help, pics, or links greatly appreciated

BHollander

Reaction
Use a head lamp. The kind that strap around your head with a band. Strap it around the helmet maybe add a little duct tape to hold in place. Should be able to get at any sporting goods store or even Walmart.

mexracer10

Reaction
A good co-driver should be able to change a flat with his eyes closed, so at night with little light..... no big deal.

e_lunatic

Reaction
I've seen those head band lights removed from the band and fixed to a helmet with a Go Pro style mount to the helmet. can be removed from helmet but would be hard to get it knocked off while in the car bouncing around. might want to look into something like that

levi_1947

Reaction
A wise an man who has spent many nights in the baja told me... Get some heavy duty sticky backed velcro. Wrap a small lightweight flashlight or two and stick the other velcro part on the side of your helmet. This way it comes right off and can be stuck and adjusted however needed. So if your under the back sideways changing a cv or something you can point it where you want it. And as everyone knows keeping your helmet on is always a good idea.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
I've seen those head band lights removed from the band and fixed to a helmet with a Go Pro style mount to the helmet. can be removed from helmet but would be hard to get it knocked off while in the car bouncing around. might want to look into something like that
thx for the great idea, curved go pro mount would be perfect and use a small twist head lamp.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
A wise an man who has spent many nights in the baja told me... Get some heavy duty sticky backed velcro. Wrap a small lightweight flashlight or two and stick the other velcro part on the side of your helmet. This way it comes right off and can be stuck and adjusted however needed. So if your under the back sideways changing a cv or something you can point it where you want it. And as everyone knows keeping your helmet on is always a good idea.

thats a good idea to so u dont have to wear it in cab, you can have it by your impact or whatever if have to get out grab it and pop it on.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
appreciate the responses... my co pilots are not experts and have not done any practice sessions in suit. All i know a tire change took a long time at kc hilite. Plus with the new flat mount spare its not as easy to install and remove tire as was before. I am def thinking of taking rigid 4-6" lights and wiring in each corner to a switch that i just flip to turn on and lights up shocks and hubs etc.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
Another thing we need to work on is trying to get in mentality of pulling up on harness shoulder latches to loosen straps before unbuckling because have had to wait or go slow as co pilot tried to strap in. If i have to get out to help with a serious problem its even worst.

BrandMattice

Reaction
appreciate the responses... my co pilots are not experts and have not done any practice sessions in suit. All i know a tire change took a long time at kc hilite. Plus with the new flat mount spare its not as easy to install and remove tire as was before. I am def thinking of taking rigid 4-6" lights and wiring in each corner to a switch that i just flip to turn on and lights up shocks and hubs etc.
You're headed in a good direction, but just a sidenote, you only need the small rigid "domelights". They come in a coped case so u can mount them anywhere/tube, hardly any draw compared to the bars which do not take much draw either. They're compact, fit in ur palm, can mount all over the thing, dispurses light wide and out. As for the helmet, the best thing I once had was a 3 bulb led that clips onto a camo hat in any hunting store or section of. Pop the plastic clips off the light and use double stick Velcro or tape it on.

desertspeed

Reaction
Look into the VisionX Tantum rock light kit- http://www.visionxonly.com/Rock-light-8-pods.html 8 lights for $100 and def bright enough for what you want.

Hog Wild

Reaction
I keep these all over the place. Velcro to helmet, dash, glove, anyplace. Super cheap ($5.00 for pack of 5). They have a momentary pushbutton and tiny slide switch when you want it on for a long period. They give plenty of light if they are pointed to where you need it.

or this solar one, that only works in full sunlight ;)

Last edited:

LRS1972

Reaction
We have Rigid LED's on all four corners of our 1 car. They are small, maybe two inch or so. They are on a switch in the cab that also lights up an interior dome light. We have LED headlamps with the straps still attached in the driver and co-driver bags. I'm a co-dawg and if If I know I'm in a night section I will Gorilla tape a headlamp to my helmet close to the bottom.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
Another thing to help at night is zip tying each side's shoulder and lap harness together. Makes getting buckled in faster at night for everyone, especially new guys.
Thanks. I've been thinking of trying similar stuff to see if I could buckle myself in alone.

Zambo

Reaction
Another thing we need to work on is trying to get in mentality of pulling up on harness shoulder latches to loosen straps before unbuckling because have had to wait or go slow as co pilot tried to strap in. If i have to get out to help with a serious problem its even worst.
While the codriver is outside changing the tire or whatever the driver should be making a nice nest of his belts for him so he can jump right in. You don't have to unbuckle to do it, just loosen your shoulder harnesses and shrug out of them, this should give plenty of flexibility to lean over far enough to get it done.

Also, while the codriver is out if you have a comlink 10 or similar intercom you need to take it out of driver isolate so you can hear the radio.