A&P Mechanics

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
How many A&P's do we have here on RDC?

Im currently in school (Just started Powerplant, done with general) and should be finishin up in Nov. 2010. Just picked up a contract job workin with FedEx (sorry dave, i know its the competition) tearin down the old fleet and savin parts for memphis stock.

Where do you guys see the industry goin? Any openings of the sort?

Offspring

Reaction
Knew a guy who was one and worked at Rohr made good dough. Could really take his skills just about anywhere. I always thought this a way better alternative to automotive. I considered it but went a different direction.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Have A&P since 1985. Best technical training there is - a lot of non aviation companies recruited from Spartan.
Aircraft are much cooler than auto - but auto seems to pay more. Got out when General Aviation tool a nose dive in the early 90's.
Good A&P's are hard to find - so the market should be stable for you.
Most jobs are in the metro areas - and there appears to be an increase of oversea's opportuites as well.
With the new glass cockpit and advanced technology you may want to focus on that too.
Best of luck.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
thanks ken.

i would love to do the airline stuff, but have been hearin some... uhhh, scary stories? just have to follow the work around state by state, and thats not really an option. but it seems pretty solid at right about $35/hr.

and i will continue with Embry Riddle ($kaching$) to get a degree, then probably specialize in avionics (gla$$ panel) which means money...

Dezertpilot

Reaction
My buddy is some sort of foreman for FedEx out at LAX and hes says this and that about FedEx. He sort of worried about all the outsourcing over seas. He been with them for awhile and knows his chit. I can relay some questions to him if you would like. But from what he says hes worried about the future, maybe he just talks too much lol.

Wilson

Reaction
My buddy is some sort of foreman for FedEx out at LAX and hes says this and that about FedEx. He sort of worried about all the outsourcing over seas. He been with them for awhile and knows his chit. I can relay some questions to him if you would like. But from what he says hes worried about the future, maybe he just talks too much lol.

Outsourcing "heavy maintenance" is indeed one of the things many airlines are doing to reduce costs. That will affect the mechanics who would otherwise do that sort of thing ("depot" maintenance) but not "line" maintenance. There will always be positions for local "line mechanics"; you can't outsource what they do to keep airplanes "up" as they move through a day's flying. That's where most of the airline mechanic jobs are, and that's not changing any time soon.

Most of the line mechanics I deal with on a daily basis are highly skilled and motivated individuals. Without them, my job (FedEx B727 Captain) would be impossible. If you get a chance, try to talk with someone who works "the line" in addition to Dezertpilot's friend (I'm guessing he works at the LAX maintenance hangar, not the line). Good luck!

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
technically im not working for FedEx, just the company they hired to dismantle 16 planes to part out to themselves, for the memphis stocking hangar. 4 MD, DC-10's. and 14 Airbus A-310's

and yes the heavy checks are going oversea's. but like mentioned all the line stuff will be availible here, that is where the money is from what i have heard.

and yeah, the G-1000 kit isnt exactly plug and play like our dezert gps's. they are a serious undertaking. the units themselves cost more than most of the airplanes they sit in. i know the 530's are north of $20,000, and they are not half of what a G-1000 glass panel can do.

Hey wilson... how long untill they retire your bird? the 27's are gettin OLD!

Wilson

Reaction
Hey wilson... how long untill they retire your bird? the 27's are gettin OLD!

Yeah, the 72's are getting old. Ours are in great shape though - FedEx is fanatical about keeping the fleet "reliable", our reputation depends on it! In my opinion, it's the last "real airplane" in airline service. It has no computers between the pilot and the control surfaces, there are no computers to do the "thinking" for the pilots and it doesn't draw pretty maps on a display for the pilots to follow! The newer technology aircraft are just "video games with wings" and the pilots are "voting members of the board" (they have a say in what the airplane does, but the computers decide whether or not to let the pilots do what they want...);).

The 72 is scheduled to remain in service with FedEx for another few years, but not long enough for me to make an entire career of it!

California MiniTruck

Reaction
I don't have my A&P but I worked intermediate maintenance on GE F-404 and F-414 on F-18's for two years(completely tore down the motors to nut and bolt and built then back up and ran them through the test cell). Also worked on SH-60 and HH-60 Seakings(same as black hawks) in Operation level in a squadron on a air craft carrier. I thought about going through the A&P program especially because the GI bill will pay for it but I worked in Power plants for 4 years and im not sure if I want to learn air frames, hydraulics, avionics, and electrical. I do know that the city of LA Air Ops is looking for mechs, they have the largest civilian aircraft squadron in the US so they always need people. Only problem is I think they are based out of Pacoima.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Reaction
How many A&P's do we have here on RDC?
I got mine in 80. Only used it for a year, but it has served me well for a long time in many ways.

and i will continue with Embry Riddle ($) to get a degree, then probably specialize in avionics (gla$$ panel) which means money...
Good plan. Great school.

BigBro

Reaction
Louis,

You will never regret what you learn in school, the union IAM A & P Mechanics I work with at Boeing pull in around $80-175K per year depending on how much overtime they are willing to work. The good mechanics at the top of their pay scale earn more than Managers and Engineers. The down side is working 12 hr. days and giving up weekends (Premium pay after 8 hrs. and double time pay on weekends). Upside is $$$.

I will fill you in more later if you wish on all the details I know after 33 yrs. in Aerospace.

Glad you have the get er done attitude while you are young, that is half the battle right there. !!!

Good Luck !

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Louis,

You will never regret what you learn in school, the union IAM A & P Mechanics I work with at Boeing pull in around $80-175K per year depending on how much overtime they are willing to work. The good mechanics at the top of their pay scale earn more than Managers and Engineers. The down side is working 12 hr. days and giving up weekends (Premium pay after 8 hrs. and double time pay on weekends). Upside is $$$.

I will fill you in more later if you wish on all the details I know after 33 yrs. in Aerospace.

Glad you have the get er done attitude while you are young, that is half the battle right there. !!!

Good Luck !

thanks uncle brian! any way you can get me in out at edwards ;) i could give up weekends for a while.. i only need a few to go racin