A piece of Jeep Racing history

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
I got to go when they put them on the plane to ship them to london.I was like 13 .My uncle Dick Dahn drove one of them .He raced for Brian for many years.They both finished .He drove it up the steps of the opra house after the race .My son has a bell helmet bag that went on the hole trip.They then raced one at parker.The good ol days.I heard a guy in Hemet has them.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
One was called ,likety split, the other one was called ,11th hour,witch one is this.Thanks Dennis

martininsocal

Reaction
Dennis- those are different than the one one Fortin was alomost killed in in Turkey racing for Chuchua, right? Wasn't he in a "Holy Toledo" Commando? Strange, but there are a few old CJ-6's in that area. I wonder what the reserve is?...Anyone know?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Those look similar to the one parked in front of the Dennys in Baker, california. I belive it was or still is Larry MInors old race car

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

mgobaja

Reaction
The Denny's has Broncos parked in front front.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
woops my bad, hadn't seen it for a while and thought they looked similar, sorry

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

offroadaction

Reaction
I am curious what the reserve is too. I would love to pick it up, or even another old race vehicle and restore to its former glory. I would love to have a few older race vehicles such as some of Mickeys creations, PJ's Blazer, Walkers old Ford & Chev before he went to Dodge, Big Oly, Baja Boot, Rod Halls first Dodge, Roger Mears first Jeep, Ivans Modern Motors buggy, etc. It is something else how these guys raced Jeeps and Broncos with only 6-8" travel...they were real men back then!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://offroadaction.8k.com>Off Road Action</A>
Canada's Largest Off Road Racing Site

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
They were 3 seaters.My uncle raced lickety split.there were 2 drivers one navigater. I remember holy toledo when i was a kid. He also drove, GIDDY UP GO,a orange jeep.then he drove for T&J off road.I have a scrap book full of old pictures from the old days.

Donahoe

Reaction
Here is one from the gloy Jeep days....

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Attachments

Bryan_D

Reaction
T&Js in orange has a honcho that I believe used to be Rod Hall if I am not mistaken. My dads buddy raced a honcho as well in the late 80's his name was John Dyke. Thats how I got into the whole dez thing the first time. I have been stuck in/on Jeeps ever since. Hey I heard that Donahoe was building a Jeepspeed, is this true?

martininsocal

Reaction
I don't think Rod ever raced a honcho-maybe it is Roger Mears. Hey Kreg...love the truck wash truck. I was a big honcho fan back in those days. Loved The Mike Moore/Mears ride and Walt Laycocks was a twist. Many of those trucks ended up up North racing Vorra. I actually thought about buying the Donahoe/Yosten truck when I was working in Nuevo and they said they would sell it to mo for 5k...Dohh! My bad for not buying it! I know there was a realestate agent in Borrego Springs who has one of the original Big Oly Broncos. Walker and Rod used to wholesale out their old race trucks, so there were a few of them floating around as prerunners. Does anyone know who had the old class 4 fullsize Ford Stepside(about 1972 vintage) at the Leduc swapmeet 2 years ago? It was for sale, needed lots of love? If it is still around, PM me.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Jack

Reaction
I think it is an old Mears truck, but it is all different know, we four link it in the front and three in the rear, coilovers all around, and the steering box is under the pasenger seat. Went though a few motors then decided it was to expensive to run it with only one or two trucks in class.

Bryan_D

Reaction
I remember seeing it at the shop last fall and it was in pieces. Didnt you have another fullsize jeep that was being redone also? I think it was a commando though. There is a red honcho that is racing in Whiplash now even with the old school suspension. Looks like it rides like a brick.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Racing lives on.Your dad and my uncle raced together .Know we are racing.Before we know it our kids will be racing each other.Long live the desert.Cool pictuer of both the honchos. Paul price,water boy, Is married to my cousen.I have Dicks old gray honcho prerunner .Its funny it all started in jeeps and hear we are again.

wnt2bercr

Reaction
I posted "fab work" on the board a few days ago. While I ve had rangers with travel and have done that whole scene, I am currently building a 70 Jeep CJ Commando. I need assistance if there is still anyone around that maybe " speacializes" in these rigs. Or are thet just so basic that any fab shop can do it ? But im looking for someone that knows how to make them work. Plan on making it a pre-runner /racer doing the whole old school thing with a little of todays technology. If anyone can give me some pictures and turn me on to a faber let me know. Thanks.

JJ, So Cal.