A4LD Questions

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I replaced the front seal and filter / screen in the wifes explorer (92 2wd) and it ran fine for two days. Now it has no forward or reverse gears. Linkage connected, all seems well. Could the filter / screen have fallen and cause it not to pick up fluid. Any other ideas? Hep!!!!

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

sirhk100

Reaction
Not sure of the answer you're looking for but try posting a question about it in the mechanical section on www.explorerforum.com There's some VERY knowledgable people over there on that page when it comes to our crappy trannies in the Exploders.
Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Was hoping for an easy fix...lol But it's beyond hope. She will be getting a new one, My advise, when the front seal starts leaking, DO NOT wait a year to fix it....lol

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

sirhk100

Reaction
That's a bummer man..... I've always heard it's not if but when the AL4D is going to blow. I've got a guage on mine, run the biggest cooler I could find that would fit behind the grill, had my axles re-geared, and have run sythetic since it turned 10K miles. Mine seems to be good but even with all that I can just stand on the gas up a grade and watch the temp sky rocket well over 200 if I want. Have you thought about an alternative transmission to swap in since you've got to do the rebuild? I know when my goes, I"m going to do some research to find out if any autos can be coupled up with the 4.0 and the xsfer case.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Crayfish

Reaction
If its any help I had the A4LD out of my race truck built by Trans Pros in San Bernardino. They made the thing as strong as it can get and they say I could easily go a full season before it should be gone through again. It cost me around $1500 I pulled it and dropped it off. We raced on it at the Kartek 400 and we had to keep shutting the cooler fan off because it was running too cool (150 deg.) It would get up to 210 deg. max without the cooler fan.

Hope that helps

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Art Carr will build it also. No complaints on our A4LD without an aftermarket cooler, but it wasnt cheap.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Ryno

Reaction
Pat-

Transpros off 9th St are a great shop. Talk to Dave or Jeremy. They do great work, and are cool guys. I just took my chevy to them, and they are great! They also have lots of toys in the shop =)

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
It has a fairly sizeable cooler stock, should it be upgraded? It will be getting a trans temp guage when it goes back in.

Crayfish

Reaction
My stock cooler was almost half the surface area as the radiator but it was narrow. The cooler I have now isn't much bigger its just a better design. Dave at TransPros said that heat is the number one killer of auto trannies. I went a little too big on the cooler, it doesn't hurt anything but it gives you more fluid volume. Talk to TransPros and they can recommend the size cooler you will need for your application. The guys there are very helpful and patient.

Good luck

sirhk100

Reaction
How'd this go? Did you drop it yourself? Install it yourself? Any tips? I'm going out in about 10 minutes to start unbolting mine. I think my torque convertor locked up solid on me. I've searched another page up the ass and can't find anyone with the same problems as me. Anyways, curious how much of a PITA it was to wrestle it out and put it back? Also curious as to what you found out.
Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Turned out the front pump itself broke. Unsure if it was from improperly seating the converter or not. Ended up getting a used trans for $650. (no core) Cheaper than a rebuild and it has a 120 day warranty. Only dificulty I had was with the exhaust. Spray the bolts with a penatrating oil. And make sure the converter is properly seated. It was not a bad deal, picked up transmission friday at about 3 and it was on the road by 6.