ABS Problem

Project1500

After I installed my currie ford 9 in my 1998 chevy I bled the brakes all around at each wheel. The pedal is not squishy at all and stops really good sometimes. The problem is sometimes when I brake The pedal gets really hard to push and theres a ABS brake motor (or something sound) that makes my truck barely stop for a few seconds. When I am offroading it does it alot and my truck takes forever to stop. Is the locker causing this? Or is there something else I have to bleed? How do I get rid of the ABS if I have too?

ACID_RAIN28

Did you reconect the abs sensors on the rear end? If not, the comp thinks that the rear is locked up and the front is still spining. Of course I am assuming it has them for the rear.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

ACID_RAIN28

Ahh, well like it was said in the other post, pull the fuse or disconect the power to the abs controller. I would see if anyone else has any ideas first though.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

In_the_works

I have had a similar problem on my ford (don't know if it's the same or not). Whenever I brake hard on pavement or on dirt, I'll get good stopping for a second or two, then the brakes will release completely, then catch again, then kind of shudder to a stop. The brakes are fine for normal driving, but for sudden stopping, it sucks. It happens especially when offroading after I hit a bump. Cause?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

sweetdevil

When you're offroading, your tires want to lock up easier than on pavement (less traction), so your ABS is going to kick in for sure. My ABS wires run along the spindle, and after i hit the jump in barstow, they extended and decided they wanted to run along the front of the spindle, so the rims chewed them up. So I have no ABS now, which is nice for offroad, and even ok for me on-road, cuz this is the first vehicle I have ever owned with ABS... lol

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

84toy

On my tundra i can't stop for I failed spelling in the dirt if my abs is on. As soon as I hit the brakes hard at any speed the abs kicks in and it's like I'm not braking at all. (Kind of scary the first time I needed to stop fast in the dirt. This is my first car with abs and I wasn't really expecting it.) In the engine compartment there is a plug that goes into the abs contoller box thing that has a handy little lever type deal on it that you pull up on and it backs the plug out just enough to unplug it and turn off the abs. Anyways like he said just disconnect the abs how ever way and you shouldn't have the problem.

Jason