Accident @ Glamis?

dunerking

Reaction
Just curious if anyone heard about a accident at Glamis over the weekend of 2-1 &2-2-03?Friend told me about a blue Funco hauled out on a flatbed with what he said was a crushed top & split in the middle, I was just hoping that this is wrong information,or if it did happened that nobody got seriously hurt.

hit it hard

RacnCPA

Reaction
It's true, it happened, serious injuries to driver and mostly to passengers. Ignorance.

Sc

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
That buggy jumping does not look like the same one...it looks yellow. Look at the blood on the seat from the crotch strap...OUCH. It sucks to see people got hurt from it but it should be a wake up call to the guys who go out in there 30" long travel rail and think they are RG or Leduc.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I saw a lot of people wearing helmets in the long travel rails over Thanksgiving. People dont understand that when you bring desert racing technology to recreational buggies...you need to wear a dam helmet. If I had a nice prerunner that was fast...I would wear a helmet while in the dirt playing around.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

martininsocal

Reaction
Its not just suspension...That is a PLAY CAR! Not a race car. Robby goes out there in a RACE TRUCK and jumps it like a RACE TRUCK and the truck survives because it is overbuilt for the desert. I can't begin to tell you haw many play cars fold up when they try race car style driving. Did that car break in half before it endoed or after? These lite weight sand cars are made to go fast up hills, through sand whoops, etc...They really aren't built for Desert style jumping. Call any Chassis builder and they will ask you what you are gonna do with the car. If you tell them Desert style driving with jumps, they will build the car heavier to handle it. It will cost more money too. The sand crowd seems to have the belief that they have their cake and now they are eatin' it. "Just build me a super liteweight drag car with 24"s of suspension travel..." Wayne- don't even get me started on helmets...even at the MDR race this weekend there were tons of folks running around without helmets...

If your gonna go, go BIG

Rodney

Reaction
Amazing pictures..I've seen some wadded up cars but that is by far the worst I've seen. Who will be the first of the idiots to sue FUNCO (or whomever) for the car "not holding up" Does anyone know of any lawsuits yet?

Winning IS everything

V8Ranger

Reaction
Was that last photo touched up? I can imagine anyone stupid enough to jump their sand car that high.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
the story said the guy was going down sand hwy at 70 mph and went off a 4 ft drop off, 70mph in my rail is like 3rd at 5000rpm not really that fast, he must have not have been paying attention and stood in the brakes instead of hitting the gas because I could clear a 4ft drop at 70mph with no problem, but I dont know the whole story!! and I dont wear helmets in my car unless I know I will be driving wild and fast or if its really windy....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

dunerking

Reaction
From the way I heard things it happened near pad 4 close to the road runner turn around on the aquaduct side of gecko where the little dunes start.I guess the driver was talking a big storm about how great he was(due to the high volume of beers taken in)and how bitchin his car was and decided to show everyone his driving skills,did a trophy run and didn't see the 30' hole and stuffed the front end.Nice trophy run!Where can I sign up for his driving school!!!!Was the car under warranty?

hit it hard

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Man that looks nasty. That thing is bent up like a pretzel. Looks like liquid courage to me.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Dunerking, I heard a similar story about that crash. Also, the blood on the passenger seat is from the passenger's head hitting the front bar, not crotch strap carnage.

slimjim

Reaction
if that happened where i think it did, i was in a buggy that crashed in the exact same place, the same way. we were doing about 65 in a buggy with not enough lighting, and the driver saw the drop too late. nose first into the bottom/front of the next hill, stopped immediately. i was pretty lucky to not die. we were in a chenowth, and the buggy held up pretty good.

put on your seatbelt...

dunerking

Reaction
Slim jim I was at Glamis for New Years (1-3-03 to 1-7-03) and was camping in the same spot on pad 4 whre two guys walked into our camp,one of the guys had all front 6 or 8 teeth missing and a huge gash under his lower lip,blood was all over his face,hands,and shirt.Just imagine finishing your dinner and relaxing in your trailer(9:00ish p.m.)look out the window and see this,it was quite the site.We called the rangers,calmed this guy down,and stopped the bleeding,damn that was crazy,sure looked like it hurt.I guess what I'm trying to say is wear those seatbelts and make sure they are hooked up right.

hit it hard

martininsocal

Reaction
And if you are going to travel at speed- Where a full face helmet...keeps those teeth from becoming a tooth.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

And if you are going to travel at speed- Where a full face helmet...keeps those teeth from becoming a tooth.

<hr></blockquote>

Isn't amazing how many people will drive or climb into a 450hp, sub 2000lb car for a hard run without a helmet. I guess window nets, helmets and neck suport collars just don't go with candy paint and chrome.

I don't get it. Then again, I really don't get the "dune scene". Oh well.

PJCinLV

slimjim

Reaction
dunerking -
that was me. if you, or anybody at your camp helped me out by calling 911 or anything else - then thank you so much. i'd love to treat you to lunch or a beer or something to say thanks. your camp-mates too. you can take me up on that anytime. i had only been there for about 4 hours before it happened. i was pretty messed up. turns out, my teeth were pushed up through my maxila (the bone that the teeth connect to, upper jaw) they were all there, you just couldn't see them. i have had some surgeries since then, and now i am doing alot better. we can talk more later if you want, but for now let me just say this -

1. even two or three beers can impair your judgement, so don't drink and drive at all. i know that's a tough sell for most of the glamis crowd but it's the best way. 2. put your seatbelt on so it is almost too tight, because it will loosen a little through the whoops. and wear the crotch strap if you have one. 3. wear a helmet. some people will say it doesn't look good, or it's hot, or... it's worth it. especially if you are gonna be hauling a@@.

thanks again dunerking!

put on your seatbelt...

dunerking

Reaction
Slimjim
I can not believe that was you.WOW well I'm glad that you ended up being somewhat o.k.That was pretty damn crazy.We noticed that the car was gone in the morning,tried to keep an eye on it, make sure nobody with sticky fingers got comfortable

hit it hard