Ackerman angle

De Ranged

Got one for you guys that know your stuff

I'm in the process of plotting up the mounting pionts for a set of custom steering arms for a trials truck I'm building

It's a hilux front axle mounted into a Lada Niva with an IFS hub swop and 1" wheel spacers with offset rims to boot ontop of all this I'm moving the tierod behind the axle and above the diff for safety

Just want to conferm I'm right in setting the ackerman angle off the center of the tyre contact patch, I'm just a bit uncertain due to all the scrub radius that I'm going to have (260mm :()

I'm not really concerned about top speed handling as this is only 70km and I'll will only be hitting that on two stages in each event (30 odd stages), I just don't want to loose any traction in corners due to bad steering

Cheers Reece

De Ranged

Arghh red face here.... you know when something dosn't seem right.... yea well it was enough I went and pulled a couple of books lol I was a bit out, its based off the king pin axis's lol I would have ended up with some really gooffy steering

If one of the mods wants to delete this please.... I don't seem to have rights to do this

Cheers Reece

De Ranged

You answered one question, now what can you do about that 260mm scrub radius?!
Nothing... lol steeriing scrub comes from the spacers, offset hubs,rims and wide tyres, its just the compromise we face for the extra trackwidth
Well within a resumble cost.... I do have a jig I've built to make axle housings of any width but the custom axles ramp the costs

Cheers Reece