adding a sender to a cell?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
This may be a dumb question but, can a fuel sender be added to a cell like this that does not have one:

Its has a poly cell and a steel case.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

prerunner68

Reaction
you can add a sender that works with your gauge.
you just have to find out which one works with it.
then cut a hole in the can and bladder and wire it up.

Snmiedo

Reaction
If you give me the height dimension of your cell and the year, make, and model, of the vehicle it is going into I'll quote you on an excellent sender. Do you use the original gauges or do you have aftermarket (VDO, AutoMeter, SW, etc.) ones. If it is aftermarket, what is the full and empty ohm ratings?
Let me know.
Michael Cohen
Race Ready Products
619-691-9171

Tyson

Reaction
Pat, I've been told that Toyota's do not have a direct sending units to plug into our stock fuel level gauge. For example I have a 32 gallon JAZ fuel cell with a sending unit that puts out 240ohmz and 77ohmz full. This is JAZ's generic one (so to speak) and will not work with my current gauge, so I called JAZ and they told me that they do not make a sending unit to work with Toyotas in general. However, Autometer (and I am sure many other companies) make a fuel level gauge for 240-77ohmz.

Sorry, YES you can add a sending unit to any cell. BUt you will want to know that other stuff after the cell goes in, or gauge your gas level like I do - when the ass end gets higher then the front its time for more gas.

Later

Tyson
YOTAPUNK</font color=red>

gary

Reaction
hey, we've got the same gas guage!! when you can actually see your headlights shining on the pavement, it's fill up time...

polar

Reaction
I am using an autometer gauge with my stock toyota gas tank, i had to get an aftermarket sender manipulated to work with my stock sender so that it sent the proper ohm reading for my gauge but used the stock mounting plate and float to keep it accurate. I am sure you could work something similar out such that you would use the float and mounting hardware from the aftermarket sender made for your cell with the electronics from your stock sender so that you can use your stock gauges ( i am assuming that you are still using your stock toyota cluster). Otherwise the 244/70 is the common aftermarket ohm range, and most aftermarket senders and gauges use this range to keep it simple.

PatrickG

Reaction
Its actually quite easy to ad a sender. I picked up a used cell and added a sender to it no problem. I did find out that places like Kartek stock the 0-90ohm GM one, but the 240 -30 ohm universal sender was a special order item (actually they just didn't stock it). All that was required was to use a hole saw big enough for the sender. I also had to disasemble the cell to clean it out after. My sender doesn't go all the way to bottom, so It took about 5 gallons to get a reading. Now if I could only get the truck to run off the cell.

Patrick

Tyson

Reaction
Hey Patrick what problems are you having getting the truck to run? It took me a while but now my truck runs really good with my 32 gallon cell, 2 filters, and fuel pump. Anything you got questions with, you can send me a PM or post here - maybe I can help.

Laterz

Tyson
YOTAPUNK</font color=red>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Thans for all the info guys. I am stil in the planning, shopping stage. Finally got another truck for work so the ghetto yota is soon going on blocks for a while so the real building can begin.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>