A) stock mini trucks (i'll post the rules this weekend
B) mini's/(some french named little pilot type car) for Short courses
C) ????
D) ????

Rich

www.vorra.com

curt

Reaction
I'd like to see a kids class. Although it will be perceived as fairly dangerous the liability is no different than it is now and the speeds will be much lower like in the ladies or mechanics race since the driver wouldn't have the same familiarity of the vehicle. I was talking to someone(maybe Broc) at PC and he said they do this in Washington or Oregon somewhere and its a blast. It gives us the ultimate feeder system and the cars are already paid for. I'd also like to see a scaled down(50-75% size) truck or buggy class if this took off after a couple of years. The last couple of times I've been at PC for testing, I've taken the 3 kids out letting them drive 10-15 laps and was very surprised at the natural car control they had. Their ages ranged from 10-13. I only had to grab the wheel a couple of times each but mostly it was my fault for applying a little too much throttle coming out of a turn.

Rules or Parameters
Group by age group.
8-10
11-13etc...
Drive your parents race car.
Co-Op driving with a child on a parents lap, parent controls gas, brake, shifting and as necessary steering.

Issues to be considered:
Special restraint systems would need to be employed that would belt in the driver and the passenger for safety and a pad over the buckle of the parent to keep the kids back from getting hurt.

Getting 2 helmets in the drivers side of the cockpit might be difficult.

Potential speed limits to keep overachieving parents from getting out of hand ;)

Curt

martininsocal

Reaction
Rich- how about the 1600 class? It used to be one of teh biggest classes Vorra had, but they let it whither. I would love to bring my 1600 shortcourse car up there(plan to anyway) but would love to see a class for it instead of novice or sportsman.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Rich, I was talking to Mike Koenig at the Baja 1000 and it sounded like the stock mini trucks were going to happen for short course. He said it could only be a completely stock 2wd truck with a cage and the most you could do for shocks is something like cheap Rancho shocks.
I think that would be a great class. I might have to do it if it happens.

J_Dog

Reaction
Rich,
How old do you have to be to drive a race vehicle in VORRA events? My 12 yr. old is interested in the Pilots. Thanks.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

Big_Rich

Reaction
Well I understanding is that you had to be a licensed driver to race VORRA, but I better make sure before I commit.

I like some of the ideas....keep them coming. If you serious about wanting a certain class that is not in the score rule book, put a rulsection together for it and submit it.

Yes we will ad stock mini 2wd trucks at PC this year. I'll post up the rules shortly.

Rich

www.vorra.com

curt

Reaction
I really don't mind adding classes but I remember at the beginning of this year, 7 open didn't exist cause we were the only ones who showed up. We also ended the season with the biggest truck class. The question I have is how are you going to get the classes opened? 3 or 4 trucks to get the class open and then it stays open all year whether there's full participation or not? Combine them with other class for the sake of running and give them points whether they are the only vehicle for that class that race?

The beginning of last year was very stressful for us because of these issues, it was mandated that for a class to exist a minimum amount of vehicles needed to be there, but In the end it worked out for us. It could have easily ended our racing efforts and the stress level was high until we finally got enough support to get the class started for the 2nd or 3rd race. We appreciate that the 7s guys let us run with them but are very happy we weren't forced to either change our truck to comply with their rules or pack it up for the season. The only way to encourage a class is have it already being run but VORRA wanted to eliminate the extra classes with 1 or 2 trucks in them.

7open started with 1 truck last year
7s started with about 5-6 trucks last year
7 open ended with 7 or 8 trucks last year
7s ended with about 4 or 5 trucks last year

At each race there are usually about 2 trucks missing per class, so we're on the edge at most races to field both classes we have . Adding a stock mini class will be interesting but of the three people I've heard talking about it, 2 will be coming from 7S and another S truck I know of next year is moving up to open leaving that class very marginal in participation. This still wouldnt be a problem if we bring in some outside trucks and try harder to pull the desert guys in to the shortcourse which they've been resisting for years. Another option might be to run the stock mini trucks with another limited class like JeepSpeed or the 9's so that maybe we can talk the stock mini guys to bring both trucks and participate in both classes with maybe a reduced entry fee or something.

The key is get more trucks but with this economy, it's hard enough for most people to justify racing if their stuff is already paid for let alone build one and race it. The only way to help this is to get the purse and contingency programs better and try to reduce the fee's to make the idea more attractive. The first is probably somewhat doable but the money side requires spectatorship we have had a hard time getting.

Curt

VORRA Class 7

Big_Rich

Reaction
If one person shows up at the first event, the class is open.......I don't believe in penilizing the team who is ready at the start of the season. PERIOD. If your not ready to race the first race, you had better hope you can out drive the ones who were there.

We will have more spectators this year. PERIOD. How many more that remains to be seen.

As the classes grow, so will the number of competitors and along with them the number of spectators.

As these happen, more and more sponsors will show interest and then we'll adjust the purse according.

Rich

www.vorra.com

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
Hey Rich how about a PRERUNNER class??? Seems to be getting big down south...just a thought.Scott

Start drinking till you see double and act single

curt

Reaction
Glad to hear it! Car counts have been steadily declining the last 3 years and with money being tight, it's probably the same everywhere.....We need to bring the racers, not exclude them. Bring back the attitude if bring your stuff, we'll find a place for it to run. Curt

VORRA Class 7