Advantages of Front or Rear Start?

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
Reaction
Most series offer the choice of a front or rear start. What are some of your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of both of them?

offroadracer516

Reaction
Front start=no dust...kinda,less cars you have to pass,you must set the pace and if its not fast anough some one will pass you

Rear start=a little more dust,you know if your passing cars your moving up,you look like a bad @ss when you come through in the lead after starting dead last,more cars to pass...if your in the lead no need to worry abought time because you know you started in the back

just my opinion

we go for rear start most of the time GO FOR IT

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Thing is if you stay in front you gotta watch the clock to stay in first. Plus I think if you started first and you plan on winning it puts more pressure on you than rather trying to move through the pack and worry just about getting by to win. Our theory is: to finish first first you must finish.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I agree with above statement. If your somewhat new, I'd say go with a rear start, it gives you an idea how your doing...catching cars quickly, might be going to hard, not catching anyone..well, you know. I usually like to start from the back to keep my eye on the competition but after starting first in my class at the MINT, I'm glad I did. If it's going to be a dusty race, I'd go for the luck of the draw.....unless your new. Hope that helps.

JMS

Reaction
Front start=no dust...kinda,less cars you have to pass,you must set the pace and if its not fast anough some one will pass you

Rear start=a little more dust,you know if your passing cars your moving up,you look like a bad @ss when you come through in the lead after starting dead last,more cars to pass...if your in the lead no need to worry abought time because you know you started in the back

just my opinion

we go for rear start most of the time GO FOR IT
Pretty much summed it all up, however, a front start and no dust is a HUGE advantage, but your team better be on its game with the timing and scoring

trent06

Mush
Reaction
Front Start- You start first in your class and you can set the pace of the race, you have less dust to deal with and you know where your at in relations to your class, and know that if you arent crossing the finish line first there is no chance of winning.

Main Benefits of front start I see is you set the pace of the race, you have less dust to deal with, and you always know where your at in relation to you class.

Rear start- Starting last in your class you also know where you stand in class position through out the entire race, however you have more dust to deal with which inturn could lead to mistakes etc. However you run the leaders pace usually and that can help with having more car at the end of the day which leads you to being able to run harder when you need to.

Main benefits of a rear start is knowing where your at, at all times, and running the leaders pace which sometime allows you to save your car and make your move at the end of the race.

I think it is alot more pressure to start up front knowing people will be gunning for you all day long trying to keep pace with you etc. However, if you know you can keep your pace all day long and not break then you can really dictate how the race turns out.

I always like to draw 1st off the line if possible, however I havent had much luck doing that this year.

My 2 cents....

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
My $.02 (which is worth $.01 in the current economy) is that the dust will be the same...unless you are Trophy Truck #1). The rest of us will have to deal with guys starting in faster classes that are...well slower. So dust. The rear start give the driver/co-dog and team an easy way to judge where they are, relative to the rest of the field. The real advantage of a good draw is to avoid bottlenecks...just fewer cars to plug the colon.

Zambo

Reaction
Bottlenecks are a disadvantage for the front start. Lets say some car in another class gets stuck on a hill and causes a short logjam. Your 30 second head start just disappeared when your competitors stack up behind you.

LENNY

Reaction
Well Ive found most of your crashes are at the start and If your not a trophy truck or class 1 theres going to be dust.The good part about a rear start is to take you time right off the line thats ware most of the chit happens.

talkjk

Reaction
Bottlenecks are a disadvantage for the front start. Lets say some car in another class gets stuck on a hill and causes a short logjam. Your 30 second head start just disappeared when your competitors stack up behind you.
Sounds good, but it could be a jam between you and the first start in your class. I like first start, less traffic.

Matt Stevens

Reaction
My $.02 (which is worth $.01 in the current economy) is that the dust will be the same...unless you are Trophy Truck #1). The rest of us will have to deal with guys starting in faster classes that are...well slower. So dust. The rear start give the driver/co-dog and team an easy way to judge where they are, relative to the rest of the field. The real advantage of a good draw is to avoid bottlenecks...just fewer cars to plug the colon.

Bajaxp won the best answer award.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
What he said^^^^ Rear starts are for badasses....
I perfect example of a front start biting someone in the ass was at V2R last year when BJ and andy were just racing each other and forgot about Johnson... who came up and took second from them.
on the other hand, If letner didnt start 70 something at parker he might could of beat andy.....

harleys dad

Reaction
I live for rear start, the thrill of the chase! problem with supposed faster classes in front can be a real drag on your race, and front start you have really no idea what pace to run or who is comming from behind. I rear start if there is 10 cars or 80 cars BUT sometimes it can bite you if inexperienced racers get stuck and block the course, or somebody brakes something in a bad spot. PAB and I lost a Baja 500 because of that, lost nearly an hour at Mikes sky ranch and finished 2nd 7 minutes back and PAB was the first one to be stopped by the road block but could not get by. It can be a gamble but entry numbers are nowhere near what they once were so the gamble is not that great. Cody, a lot has to do with how good you are in the dust and how strong a pace you can run rite from the green flag, some are cut out for rear start and some are forsure not!

Uncle_Bob

Reaction
My $.02 (which is worth $.01 in the current economy) QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? My $.02 feels like I still owe them when I get done. LOL

I like the front start for the dust reasons but if I can't get a top three starting spot, I would rather have the rear start. You only have to drive hard enough to win on corrected time and not be the leader. You can put more pressure on the leaders and try and make them make the mistakes by overdriving themselves.

TCRAFT

Reaction
Front start gets better photos and video of your car than the rear starters from photographers...If you care about that.

baja rudy

Reaction
off road racing is the only place that I know people "think" they have an advantage with a rear start. :confused: any other form of racing people qualify for the pole position. for example, in F1 and Nascar I don't know any competitive racer would request such a thing. If you are not planning on being competitive then by all means get out of the way....

Do you guys think any TT or class 1 team that is competitive and its trying to OA a race would request a rear start? if you think that this is the case I have a loud pipe for your vehicle that will give you 50% more horsepower!!! ;)

kylesunshine

Reaction
I actually prefer a rear start for point mentioned before...rear starts are for badasses na j.k...there is always dust unless you the very 1st overall car to leave the line...

Starting last in class assures that when you pass the line you automatically beat anyone you passed in your class...If there is a big wreck or pile up you already gained your time back...also if you start first and you do not get passed all day you can still lose...And main reason for rear start is the booby traps set up in mexico...the first ones to go off the line are the first ones to hit them and wreck the car..but to each his own

trent06

Mush
Reaction
I beg the differ I think the BAMF's are the ones who want and would do all possible to start up front! They are confident in their cars, equipment, and abilities. They feel they can run out front all day long and just smile when looking in the rear view mirror knowing the rest of the class can't touch them!

Of course this can be debated all day long so everyone's opinion is correct....

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I beg the differ I think the BAMF's are the ones who want and would do all possible to start up front! They are confident in their cars, equipment, and abilities. They feel they can run out front all day long and just smile when looking in the rear view mirror knowing the rest of the class can't touch them!

Of course this can be debated all day long so everyone's opinion is correct....
I actually like this idea. 2008 SNORE Ridgecrest race, we started up front and our main competitor started behind us. We set the pace all day and he started pushing too hard trying to catch us and started getting some flat tires. We ran a fairly conservative pace and put the pressure on him. Long story short, we won by about 22 minutes.