• Forum membership has its advantages....

Adventure bikes

Dezertpilot

Who here has one? Just bought a KTM 1290 SA S and the bike is a beast! Plan to do some serious adv travel with it in the future.

Dezertpilot

check out advrider.com

I want one like you have
Yeah im on there.
Well I wanted another toy and after much debate I decided on getting an ADV style bike, been wanting one about 10yrs. I like the look of the R model better but honestly I couldnt ride one well off road and picking up a near 500lb dirt bike up off road isnt my cup of tea. So I went with the S model.

Anyways you should get one:)

redrdr67

What type of terrain are you planning on riding? I would Love to get one, but these big heavy bikes can be ridden only in specific places. It would definitely be the third or fourth bike in the garage.

AngryShawn

...but these big heavy bikes can be ridden only in specific places.
I've come across riders on these bikes in places that I would never think they could pass, you would be surprised what they can tackle with a skilled rider....

Dezertpilot

What type of terrain are you planning on riding? I would Love to get one, but these big heavy bikes can be ridden only in specific places. It would definitely be the third or fourth bike in the garage.
Well mine is the S model so street only pretty much till I get a different wheel set and maybe tackle some light off highway, but yeah with a skilled rider these bikes go all sorts of places. Future trips include riding to Alaska and back and riding across Europe and Russia.

Dezertpilot

Romero

I've come across riders on these bikes in places that I would never think they could pass, you would be surprised what they can tackle with a skilled rider....
Quinn Cody rode an 1190 in a National H&H a couple years ago. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the line. I really couldn't believe it when he finished... a couple spots ahead of me!
Quinn Cody Races Hare and Hound on 1190 Adventure

redrdr67

No doubts here on what they're capable of in the right hands. Give me back 15 years and I'd go for it on single track with switch backs...Now, it would be torture and no fun. LOL
40k on my 09 klr650, big fat slow pig. Going to Bay of LA in april on it to a friends place. At 60yo, probably last big ride.
Great to hear you're goin at it Pete!

B1rd

My Africa Twin is a sweet bike, the automatic transmission is great for me. I have learned not to off road it by myself, dropped it and could not pick it up.

JDDurfey

Hey, I rode My KLX300 up and down Baja several times, it was always an adventure! Most dependable bike ever. Used it for a commuter for several years too.
I had a KLX 300 that left me stranded at Chapala prerunning for the 06 Baja 1000. I pre-ran from SF to Bay of LA road and took the pavement back to Chapala. Then I was going to head back to Coco's and back up toe SF. I got lucky, a team headed home to SF gave me and my bike a ride in the back of their Ranger pre-runner. It was a long ride back to my pick up.

JDDurfey

My Africa Twin is a sweet bike, the automatic transmission is great for me. I have learned not to off road it by myself, dropped it and could not pick it up.
I have a friend that took his A-Twin to Baja and he hated it in the sand. I understand it is a big heavy pig, but I thought it would do better than he said it did.