Advice for thanking friends

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Most of you don't know me- I'm a student at CSUSM finishing up a Computer Science degree. I do fab on the side and my wife pays most the bills. We're broke but we do have the most fun helping other teams and tooling around in our sand buggy. I also own a dinosaur of a KTM and put a ton of hours on it. I've been a reader of RDC since the "black and red days"

Here's the story. For the last few months a bike riding buddy of mine has been collecting cash from 31 of my closest friends. He bought a '03 WR450 with the collective effort and left it "under" my parents Christmas tree. Christmas morning I walked into video cameras and flashing cameras to see an immaculatey detailed bike. This left me speechless. People just don't do this- and I'm kinda at a loss as to what to say/do about it. "Thanks" doesn't really cover it.

I don't really want to do thank you cards- that just seems kinda homo. I was thinking maybe a big barbecue? Any ideas?

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
Personally in a case like that, the person doing the giving probably doesn't expect you to match it. A gift like that doesn't come with a "you better thank me in the best way possible" disclaimer. IMHO a simple thanks and just being a good friend is probably all they really want.

Congrats on the new bike!

ShaneR

RDC Crypto
Website
www.teamrobinson.com
Your friends sound like a great bunch of people, I agree with Bajafox that doing something like this everyone that was involved did it because that wanted to and your happiness is what they wanted to see.
Thank you cards does seem girly so if you really feel that you should do something then a BBQ or dinner or night out does sound like a great thank you.

OldStroppeTeam

RDC Crypto
Tel him thank you now, then be patient.
The time will come when you can do something nice for him, and the rest of the folks who helped out. If you have ever watched the movie "Pay it Forward" you will know what I mean.

sirhk100

RDC Crypto
The BBQ definately sounds like a good idea but also maybe lead a LARGE group ride/camping trip with EVERYONE that chipped in that also rides!!! Have some fun on that bike with the friends that chipped in, I'm sure they'll love to see you enjoying that.

shrek

RDC Crypto
Wow...........cant really top that.

Sound like you are going to be helping 31 people move for the rest of your life!!!

These people are so cool, they just want a hug and a thanks.

Shrek

steveG

RDC Crypto
shrek said:
Sound like you are going to be helping 31 people move for the rest of your life!!!

LOL.

You're friends rock! I think a good ride followed by a good BBQ would be a great thank you.

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Thanks for the replys guys..
The ride and 'cue sounds like a good idea- allthough not all of the people that donated ride. I get to ride with a bunch of them tomorrow so I'll throw the idea out.

wetmonkey

RDC Crypto
for all those that don't ride you might wanna have somebody take a pic of you on your bike or maybe a scenery pic of the area your riding around in. that way they can see you enjoying the bike and some nice scenery.

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
RDC Crypto
Website
www.flyhiflylo.blogspot.com
wetmonkey said:
for all those that don't ride you might wanna have somebody take a pic of you on your bike or maybe a scenery pic of the area your riding around in. that way they can see you enjoying the bike and some nice scenery.

Thats a really cool idea.

Or just line all 31 friends up and drop to your knees! JK

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
RDC Crypto
Website
www.mikesracephoto.com
Mike, you obviously are a giving person to have 31 friends who thought enough of you to pull this off. They feel as good about giving as you do to recieve. Appreciate the gift and your friends and let them know how special they are.

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
"for all those that don't ride you might wanna have somebody take a pic of you on your bike or maybe a scenery pic of the area your riding around in. that way they can see you enjoying the bike and some nice scenery"

That is a good idea- I should have brought my camera on my ride yesterday- the sunrise was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the bike is a friggen rocketship compared to the dinosaur...

"or just line all 31 friends up and drop to your knees! JK"

This isn't that great of an idea.....lol.

Thanks for the great ideas and the kind words guys...

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
RDC Crypto
Mike your right I don't know you ...but for the "31" to get together and do that for you says alot about you ......They did it cause they like "you" they didn't do it for what they would recieve in return .....the look on your face was thanks enough..trust me ...just continue on being who your are and enjoy the gift of friendship and always be willing to give it to someone else..........

Vtr_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
MikeAdams said:
Most of you don't know me- I'm a student at CSUSM finishing up a Computer Science degree. I do fab on the side and my wife pays most the bills. We're broke but we do have the most fun helping other teams and tooling around in our sand buggy. I also own a dinosaur of a KTM and put a ton of hours on it. I've been a reader of RDC since the "black and red days"

Here's the story. For the last few months a bike riding buddy of mine has been collecting cash from 31 of my closest friends. He bought a '03 WR450 with the collective effort and left it "under" my parents Christmas tree. Christmas morning I walked into video cameras and flashing cameras to see an immaculatey detailed bike. This left me speechless. People just don't do this- and I'm kinda at a loss as to what to say/do about it. "Thanks" doesn't really cover it.

I don't really want to do thank you cards- that just seems kinda homo. I was thinking maybe a big barbecue? Any ideas?

Thats pretty cool and sounds like you have some good buddies. I think the best thing you could do is go riding with em. I think they would really like that.