Advice: Hauling a borrowed enclosed trailer to Baja

UOURacing

Reaction
Hey guys,

I couldn;t think of a more eloquent title for a thread, but I wanted to run this past some experienced folks: A friend of mine has been cool enough to offer me the use of his enclosed trailer to haul a couple of bikes and supplies to this year Baja 500. I have driven my own vehicle down there a couple of times and have gotten the mexican insurance and played by all of the rules.

However I have never taken a borrowed trailer, he will not be with me on this trip, so I was wondering how I needed to handle this from a documentation standpoint, Surely someone out there has done this and any advice would be helpful. Thanks for the input.

LENNY

Reaction
As long as you have the paper work reg. you should not have a problem I just jump out and hand it to them I dont think the even read it but you mite want to get a note from the owner with the reg just to cover you azz.

randy s

Reaction
you might want to have the owner's note notorized..could'nt hurt.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
DA winging it...handful of paperwork for all the bikes, buggys and trailers....none of it generally matches but we keep pulling it!

Well that's how it used to be......I now have a trailer set up for 25 motos, we make everyone zip tie a reg copy to the bars. I have been bringing borrowed trailers and all kinds of stuff forever with little or no hassle. I have never "tipped" a border guard either.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Pack some trailer "spares". We carry a spare hub, with wheel bearings packed. Also a spindle. Spare wheel/tire(s) as well. It's a long haul from Texas.

motoman29

Reaction
DA winging it...handful of paperwork for all the bikes, buggys and trailers....none of it generally matches but we keep pulling it!

Well that's how it used to be......I now have a trailer set up for 25 motos, we make everyone zip tie a reg copy to the bars. I have been bringing borrowed trailers and all kinds of stuff forever with little or no hassle. I have never "tipped" a border guard either.

+1. If you have paperwork, even if it not complete you are good. Hauled all kids of stuff across with no issues.

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
you might want to have the owner's note notorized..could'nt hurt.

A notorized letter is the safest way. I've had them ask for the owner of a trailer I had borrowed, because the registration wasn't in my name, luckily for me the owner was with me. Better safe than sorry, get a letter and have it notorized.

JD Durfey

Reaction
Been there done that. All the advice so far is good, but I have learned that you can never have enough spare parts and spare tires. I would take at least 4 spare tires. That may seem excessive, but I have twice hit stuff down there and had both tires on one side get blown out at the same time. I was south of Viscaino coming home from the 07 1000 on one of those occasions and both rims were bent. We only had one spare, (it wasn't my trailer, and they were supposed to bring more spares) so I left my buddy there in the dark with the trailer and a class 1 car. Fortuanately, we were able to straighten them with a large sledge hammer at a tire shop in town and buy a couple of tires. But if we couldn't have straightend them we would have been screwed, because there were no rims to buy anywhere in town. A spare hub with extra bearings is not a bad idea, also think about getting some extra lug nuts and studs.

As far as paperwork goes, I have never been asked for paper work crossing into Mexico except the first trip I went down back in 2000. However, I was stopped in TJ on my way home from the 250 in 07 and a cop pulled us over and said we had made an illegal turn, cuz we were swinging a little wide so we could make the turn without driving over the curb. Long story short, he shook us down for 250 bucks because we didn't have the trailer title. He spoke perfect English and wanted to see the title. We didn't have the registration either, but it didn't matter, he insisted on the title. I would also take paper work on the bikes as well. The cops in TJ are rediculous and will try to get you for anything the can. If you have all your ducks in a row and still get pulled over then make them take you to the police station and usually they will let you go at that point, cuz they don't have anything to charge you with. We had no choice but to pay up, cuz he had us legitamately. He said that he would impound the trailer, which had someone elses race car in it and we were not going to allow them to do that.