• Forum membership has its advantages....

AEM Dash & ECM

johndjmix

Yes, I installed 4 digital AEM gauges in my trophylite about a year ago. No problems at all. I did use some of the glue stuff you use to seal the heat shrink (forget the name of it but pro wire has it) to seal the back of the gauges where there wire comes in and to hold the wire plug in tight.

That’s it. My only complaint is the lack of a backlight in the ones I got. It’s easy to see the digital read out but the label (trans, motor, oil pres) isn’t easy to see at night, so you need to remember which gauge is which.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

_

Nino, there is a lot more to it than the upfront price. There is the availability of, and cost for upfront and ongoing support requirements which you must factor in to your decision. You will need both the display and the ECU programmed. (Note: There are no direct sensor inputs to the display (which greatly reduces manufacturing cost over a display with input and output capabilities, ie: MoTec) so all sensors must go through the ECU, provided there is adequate accommodations to fit your current and future needs.

There appears to be only four AEM dealers in California (none specializing in off-road racing) vs: 26 MoTeC dealers. If you are capable of doing the install, programming and tuning yourself, the savings may prove viable. If you will be reliant on support to get yourself fully up and running to your ultimate end goal state, you may find going with a product which has greater support resources to be financially beneficial in the long run.

Note: There are MoTeC dealers who specialize in the off-road industry and can provide pre-programmed components to fit most applications. This will allow you to perform the wiring aspect of the job yourself, yet still utilize knowledge of those with greater experience and capabilities. The fact you have to ask the questions tells me you are already headed in the wrong direction.

Chris Tobin

I spoke with the guys from ProTune at PRI this year and they seem to have very nice displays, data loggers and ECUs at VERY competitive pricing. They are a South American company and seem to currently do most of their stuff for Rally Raid and sports car teams... you may want to look into them for a good budget minded setup...

www.protuneelectronics.com

Nino Ficara

Nino, there is a lot more to it than the upfront price. There is the availability of, and cost for upfront and ongoing support requirements which you must factor in to your decision. You will need both the display and the ECU programmed. (Note: There are no direct sensor inputs to the display (which greatly reduces manufacturing cost over a display with input and output capabilities, ie: MoTec) so all sensors must go through the ECU, provided there is adequate accommodations to fit your current and future needs.

There appears to be only four AEM dealers in California (none specializing in off-road racing) vs: 26 MoTeC dealers. If you are capable of doing the install, programming and tuning yourself, the savings may prove viable. If you will be reliant on support to get yourself fully up and running to your ultimate end goal state, you may find going with a product which has greater support resources to be financially beneficial in the long run.

Note: There are MoTeC dealers who specialize in the off-road industry and can provide pre-programmed components to fit most applications. This will allow you to perform the wiring aspect of the job yourself, yet still utilize knowledge of those with greater experience and capabilities. The fact you have to ask the questions tells me you are already headed in the wrong direction.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m trying to do all my research and learn as much as I can before making any decisions. I agree Motec seems to make the most sense, but nothing wrong with gathering as much information as I can, making sure I don’t go in a wrong direction.

dzrt performance

I’m trying to save a few pennies. The AEM CD7 is going for $1,200 roughly. Do you have any experience with their ecm’s?
yes and holley and others.........

you will save some money buying other gear then motec. In fact, you could put KYB shocks on it to save money too. see where I am going with this? in the big picture the amount of money you save will be a tiny fraction of the cost of your vehicle.and in the end...you get what you pay for.

I would NOT recommend you attempt an electrical installation of this nature yourself. sure, people are doing it...but if you do not have a firm grasp and have done some sort of electrical work before, plus all the necessary tools and specialty parts to do it correctly......well top notch Motec gear will have issues when the wiring is substandard. In fact...Motec gear almost never fails...its mostly electrical issues that stem from poor installation and cheap or knock off electrical componets,

To put things into perspective, a wire harness now costs more then a Motec ECU. never thought i would live to see that day.

Nino Ficara

yes and holley and others.........

you will save some money buying other gear then motec. In fact, you could put KYB shocks on it to save money too. see where I am going with this? in the big picture the amount of money you save will be a tiny fraction of the cost of your vehicle.and in the end...you get what you pay for.

I would NOT recommend you attempt an electrical installation of this nature yourself. sure, people are doing it...but if you do not have a firm grasp and have done some sort of electrical work before, plus all the necessary tools and specialty parts to do it correctly......well top notch Motec gear will have issues when the wiring is substandard. In fact...Motec gear almost never fails...its mostly electrical issues that stem from poor installation and cheap or knock off electrical componets,

To put things into perspective, a wire harness now costs more then a Motec ECU. never thought i would live to see that day.
Thanks, great way of putting it.

johndjmix

I just installed a AEM CD7 and the 22 port can module on my trophylite. CAN2 is going into the LIFE ECU and CAN1 is going into the module.

The setup is sweet. No issues at all. We will see how it does. I can tell you after seeing the MOTEC and this display I like this one better. Not putting down MOTEC as it’s top notch, but you can tell AEM was going after MOTEC with the quality of this unit.

The config software is great. You can customize and do math with anything.

I have the top of the line unit with GPS and logging.

If your getting one call me, I can get you one through one of our distributors for my price.

—John

Nino Ficara

I just installed a AEM CD7 and the 22 port can module on my trophylite. CAN2 is going into the LIFE ECU and CAN1 is going into the module.

The setup is sweet. No issues at all. We will see how it does. I can tell you after seeing the MOTEC and this display I like this one better. Not putting down MOTEC as it’s top notch, but you can tell AEM was going after MOTEC with the quality of this unit.

If your getting one call me, I can get you one through one of our distributors for my price.

—John

—John

Thanks for the info JOHN. I would love to get a price on wet that type of set up goes for. Definitely keep me posted on your thoughts about this unit and how easy it is to use and how reliable it is . The videos that I’ve seen on the unit it looks like a sweet set up .

Thanks,

Nino Ficara

johndjmix

Well, ran the system for V2R and it works great. Zero issues! Love the CD7!!!

--John

Nino Ficara

Well, ran the system for V2R and it works great. Zero issues! Love the CD7!!!

--John
Awesome good to hear you guys didn’t have any problems with it. Would you be able to get me a price I’m getting close in the next couple weeks to be ready for my electrical.

Thanks,
Nino