• Forum membership has its advantages....

Aerodynamics in off road racing

Jack

Why would we want to add down force when weight is a bad thing? I don't think we need to add high speed turning traction. Would lift be better? Keep the car out of the bottom of the holes at speed. When in doubt, peddle on the right.

200MPHTape

Why would we want to add down force when weight is a bad thing? I don't think we need to add high speed turning traction. Would lift be better? Keep the car out of the bottom of the holes at speed. When in doubt, peddle on the right.
No one is looking for down force, just cutting through the air for now, we know the TT's might need it when the wheels start spinning at speed.
Most cars where looking to deflect air like Corky.

Attachments

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
No one is looking for down force, just cutting through the air for now, we know the TT's might need it when the wheels start spinning at speed.
Most cars where looking to deflect air like Corky.
Great photo! Corky, I think, was the only person to run a FOX, KING, and a BILSTEIN shock all at the same time! The Man was certainly a pioneer in my respects! LOL

The little black air dam that most TT's run below the front bumper helps tremendously. Top speed increases and so does gas mileage. When you get 2.something miles per gallon making a small gain added over a thousand miles is a big deal.

Just that little piece of black plastic has a big impact, obviously some other improvements would also be a huge help.

Okay... As a former designer at BMW and Audi plus being a clay modeler..... Aero is HUGE. Everything from side wash while pitching it sideways to full on top speed it's huge. Alll that crap hunging out from under your trucks becomes resistance at speed well below 20mph. Don't take none of this crap for granted.

Here is something ALL of you can play with . It's not a 150K Katia workstation in 3d... But you can see the issues with all kinds of stuff with this simple free program. Read the page watch the video and download the simulator.... Then post some of your findings here. I think you guys will think Andy is a retard in about 1 hour. (Or he doesn't want you to know what he knows)

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/aeronautics/fluiddynamics/FI/InteractiveFlowIllustrator.htm

michael_loomis

That is not a wing... it is a spoiler.

Wing - down force or lift... both would add drag IMO.

Spoiler - diffuses air flow like in Fly's diagram.

How fast are the whoops moving? That really matters...LOL Just add tires and move the test model higher up in the test zone. But you won't even try it.
Fly can you make one of those wit a tt style body and compensate for the lack of a windshield? Im on a mac and am guessing that software is PC stuff. I also am going to the bar in a little bit...so....