Affects of modifications to suspension

SJP12

Reaction
At some point i'm planning on getting some brand of lift kit( probley the one made be CST) for my 01 S-10 and will be running 31" tires, I'm goin with a kit that uses New upper control arms, lift spindals, and springs. I know that i will have to add longer brake lines, and change the gearing due to larger tires but what else will be affected from this. Will the stock braking system (and the ABS) be able to handle the 31" tires? My truck will not be getting jumped or prerunned ever i just want the cool look, i've heard the term "DISCO". you guys gave me some advice a few days back.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think you are on the wrong site if its not getting jumped or even "prerunned"

See ya in the dirt!

SJP12

Reaction
The reason i'm asking this question hear is it seems to me that people here will give me real answers, and not just try and sell me stuff which most of the shops try and do. It sounds like you guys know what your talking about.

motoxscott

Reaction
31" tires shouldn't give you any problems with your drivetrain. If you've got an auto you might want the speedo recalibrated for the larger tires. That will help the ABS and transmission. I'm not sure what it takes to do that on a S-10 as I'm only familiar with that on Fords.

It sounds like you know what to do.

Dont worry, their are plenty of people on this board that have disco trucks too..........does my Superduty fall into that catagory......I think so.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i have a 97 sonoma (4.3) running 32's , have the stock 3.42 ring and pinion and it works fine. faster 0-60 than stock but slower from there up. as far as calibration , hypertech makes a programmer that recalibrates just about everything in our computer. you can change speedo for tire sizes and ring and pinion ratios. you can also just let the dealer do it , depending on what he/she charges. the hypertech is about 340 bucks.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i wouldnt worrk about your speedo its very expensive to recalibrtate. I got a ticket and i was going to try to say hey my speedo was wrong but the price to reclibrate it was more then th eticket. If you wanna know how much your speedo is off there is a speedo place in santee san deigo speedometerers i think i have the number if you want it i only have the 4 banger sao im gonna get new gears in my truck but it still goes pretty good except for uphill. Ill have the cst upper and the spring outa my truck by mid october if you can wait that long i would bewilling to sell oyu if your interested.

Gregg

orvacian

Reaction
I agree with JrSkyo, this is definately a question for OFF-ROAD.COM or PRERUNNERS.NET. Why go on a website that is all about offroad racing and performance modifications and say "I just want the cool look"?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I think he did because a lot of people on here are about "the cool look" as well as a lot of knowledgable people, so I think he came to the right place. Put on the lift and tires and if you need more pickup, gear it and then calbrating the speedo may not be necisary and you will not go through clutches as fast either. Fabtech makes a pavement pounder product and as long as you dont get too crazy with it, it will work ok. I would suggest getting a slighty smaller spring so the truck does not ride so stiff and the ball joints are not maxed out. Your brakes can handle 31s fine.

Kris

motoxscott

Reaction
Chances are if he went to some of the other sites some 14 year old who doesn't even have his permit who thinks he can weld because he wired two batteries in series while the baby sitter was on the phone, tells him to install a 6" body lift using coffee cans. (I'm not pointing fingers at any specific site, this is just a general comment)

Advice is only as good as the person giving it, and I know their are some knowledgeable people on this board, so why wouldn't he ask for it..........