Affording Racing in 2022

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Figured i would start the thread for those of us without unlimited racing budgets. Obviously Desert Racing isnt for anyone thats barley getting by, but even for us that do well, it takes a good part of our income, so saving is important during these times.

What are you doing differently to afford racing this season? Hopefully this thread can help the community!

A few things we are doing different this year:
1. Taking fewer chase vehicles.
2. Using minimal hotel rooms, putting more people in RV's.
3. Keeping traveling to the race at 50-55 mph, HUDGE increase in MPGs on our rigs.
4. Doing as much as possible in-house vs sending parts out to be rebuilt.

--John

Advertising supports this site

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
I wish we had groups like checkers and better pit support. That’s one of the most expensive parts is the crew and chase stuff.

I will say that after our last prep it was nice to not get a huge bill. Doing it in our garage ourselves is way cheaper for sure. No we just need the quality of prep to get where it needs to be.

Mike

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
I personally do as much as possible. All the prep, engine building (not machining) engine and trany stabbing (haha all puns intended), tire mounting, shock tuning/rebuilding, fabbing, cutting, bending, wiring, painting (why it looks bad), inspecting.

And for this I get to thrash the poop out of it twice a year. Then see above as the process begins again.

But seriously though, since I race twice a year at my pace, mainly due to lack of help in the shop (It’s all I have the free time to do) I make it a point to rent a beach house/cool place for the race week and make a vacation out of it. I pick the meals up for the crew and we chill at places like Parker strip, San Filipe or Ensenada. I make it a point to get more value from each dollar. Some times I spend more but it goes even further for a better value.

Basically, if I have go cheap, I will go less. But when I do go…

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
I do most of the prep mods myself, the rest is by the co driver and the other owner here (James). I do the hardcore stuff (shocks, welding, electrical, mods), co driver does oil and fluid changing, and James does all the electronics and such. I feel some races I do 95% but then there are others where the co driver and James do a lot of work and can’t even make it to the race. Glad they are here to help.

Food savings can be substantial if your careful at events.

—john

FourLow

RDC Crypto
Figured i would start the thread for those of us without unlimited racing budgets. Obviously Desert Racing isnt for anyone thats barley getting by, but even for us that do well, it takes a good part of our income, so saving is important during these times.

What are you doing differently to afford racing this season? Hopefully this thread can help the community!

A few things we are doing different this year:
1. Taking fewer chase vehicles.
2. Using minimal hotel rooms, putting more people in RV's.
3. Keeping traveling to the race at 50-55 mph, HUDGE increase in MPGs on our rigs.
4. Doing as much as possible in-house vs sending parts out to be rebuilt.

--John

I started racing short course this season after a price bump in entry fees for the desert series I was racing. We went to round 1 and realized how much easier it was as a whole to run short course, and the fact that our entry fees actually go to infrastructure like food vendors, toilets, and badass trophies and payouts.

FourLow

RDC Crypto
Plus no chase rigs, no hotels for crew. Fuel there and back is about it, and maybe a team dinner the night before the race if there isn't any work to do on the car.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Racing is stupid, just go prerunning and save your $$. Trust me.

Probably your best post. Haha we always talk about how much fun pre running is.

But that’s also because we have a horrible record and DNF racing. Racing could be more fun if we finished well. we have much better pre running results.

Mike

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
I would love to talk about why everything costs so much and the stock market, but I can’t go political in this thread. I agree, slow down to 55 really does help, and for Fish 🐠 if you can’t win stay home. Mike the Pre running is a blast.

Tube ride

RDC Crypto
B1BF34A5-2A1C-4E12-8106-AFB50722B02E.jpeg

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
RDC Crypto
Now that I think about it the prerunning was alot more enjoyable except that during a race most vehicles were going the same direction & race day the "chasers" were not going everywitchway doing 90 passing everybody while there harbor freight LED light bar is constantly illuminated even when approaching you in the dark.

Yea prerunning definatly prerunning.........

IRONGOOK

RDC Crypto
Partners! I know its hard to get the right people together. It took a couple of years to get the right combination, but our team has three partners, and we share the costs and do the majority of the work and labor ourselves. the second and just as important part of our equation is our team of volunteers. We have a team, (Team Wolfpack Racing) of friends and strangers who have come together through the years that always come out and pit & Support us. Even down the Baja peninsula for the 1000. They all know they get paid the same, a Taco and a Beer! Used to be Tacos and Beer but they ate and drank too much. We try to provide more to them when we have sponsor money but when you have a thread of a shoe string budget you can only do so much. The team thing works great for us.

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Finish line group.jpg
    Finish line group.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0