Africa Eco-Race 2019 (The Race to Dakar)

ISRengine

Reaction
Sad Kamaz didn't send 1 or 2 truck, in the last 8-9 years they used to give a good competition to cars !
1546140249755.png

spalind

Reaction
Worth noting that there is one American on bikes (Kyle McCoy on a KTM 450). Looks like he finished 19th of 45 on the first stage.
Couple Dakar names at the top of the list in Botturi and Ullevalseter. 43 entries on the car side bringing the total to 88 which is virtually the same as the 90 from last year.

49015746_2003470743022275_7278622458817544192_n.jpg

Bull-dust

Reaction
Start and first section in Morocco. Adriana = Adriana Sklenaříková Karembeu?

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Don't get why they run just right before the Dakar; why not give some distance between the rallies, to give some Dakar teams the chance to do both? The way it is now teams I assume have to choose between one or the other

spalind

Reaction
3rd stage done and dusted and Kyle McCoy down to 27th overall but still running

BajaFand

Reaction
Don't get why they run just right before the Dakar; why not give some distance between the rallies, to give some Dakar teams the chance to do both? The way it is now teams I assume have to choose between one or the other
I may be wrong but I believe this race was born out of the feeling of giving the middle finger to ASO and Dakar for leaving Africa to race in SA and taking the “Dakar” name with them. At least that’s the impression I’ve always had about it. So I don’t believe they mind competing directly with Dakar for entries. Not only that but since this race replaced the “real” Dakar they’re running it in its traditional fashion which is starting New Year’s Day.

I never thought this race would make it past a year or two but every year it seems to be larger and stronger and the SA Dakar gets weaker it seems. Still doesn’t eliminate the threat of violence and terrorism in Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

spalind

Reaction
I may be wrong but I believe this race was born out of the feeling of giving the middle finger to ASO and Dakar for leaving Africa to race in SA and taking the “Dakar” name with them. At least that’s the impression I’ve always had about it. So I don’t believe they mind competing directly with Dakar for entries. Not only that but since this race replaced the “real” Dakar they’re running it in its traditional fashion which is starting New Year’s Day.

I never thought this race would make it past a year or two but every year it seems to be larger and stronger and the SA Dakar gets weaker it seems. Still doesn’t eliminate the threat of violence and terrorism in Africa.

I dunno about "larger and stronger". entries are down this year (only a bit but...) and if it weren't for UTVs then the race would be REALLY small...With the ASO Dakar talking to Africa about coming back in '20, this might be it for them...

spalind

Reaction
Kyle McCoy finishes Stage 4. Falls back to 31st of 44 left in bikes, some 8 hours back of Botturi who has a 5 minute lead on Ullevalseter

BajaFand

Reaction
I dunno about "larger and stronger". entries are down this year (only a bit but...) and if it weren't for UTVs then the race would be REALLY small...With the ASO Dakar talking to Africa about coming back in '20, this might be it for them...
Got it. I should have mentioned that never really followed this race so I didn’t know it was just mostly UTVs. Is there real talk and negotiation about Dakar coming back to Africa or just heresy? The potential danger to racers is still there whether it’s Eco or ASO.

Bull-dust

Reaction
JLS probably has the Turkmen Rally and other back up plans. TURKMEN DESERT RACE Some competitors will look for Dakar Rally alternatives due to the length and cost of competing in the Dakar Rally (and number/ capacity for motorcycles at Dakar etc)

mattj446

Reaction
that look odd two smash up MD Optimus buggy in the same area with similar damage to me look like both roll or come into contact with each other. It also near time control.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
that look odd two smash up MD Optimus buggy in the same area with similar damage to me look like both roll or come into contact with each other. It also near time control.
211 cut in front of 202 and touched wheels. they will be posting a video shortly. just at the flying finish and 211 was 8 mins ahead of 202 so uncalled for.