Africa Eco Race

dunebuggy77

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if this has been discussed already.
Just wondering if anyone is watching the Africa Eco Race?
http://www.africarace-live.com/en/

Less competitors than the Dakar, but it seems to be getting a little bigger each year. And nice to see some action in Africa that actually goes from Paris to Dakar.
Many past Dakar legends are involved in the race (e.g. Pal Anders Ullevalseter in the bikes this year). Dakar experts will recognize several other names. Most are there because they swear it is the true Dakar rally.

Stage 7 video in particular includes some interesting thoughts from UK competitors about why they like the race.

All stages are free on Youtube in 1080p HD... (although I can't seem to find Stage 5?)
Stages 1-4 have no commentary (natural sounds)
Stages 6 onwards have full English commentary.
All include many competitors interviews (some English).

Stage 1 -
Stage 2 -
Stage 3 -
Stage 4 -
Stage 6 -
Stage 7 -
Stage 8 -
Stage 9 -
I have been a Paris Dakar fan since the 80s (accumulating video every single year). I still watch it in South America. But there's still something missing since it left Africa, so now I follow both events.

DB.

John Bitting

Administrator
Why are they running it at the same time. It was different last year and I posted all of the press releases for it. Weird.

GEO_DXB

Why are they running it at the same time. It was different last year and I posted all of the press releases for it. Weird.
maybe to give participants enough time to get ready for the World Cup season start? probably has something to do with African weather - it is chilly at night, but good enough during the day.

ISRengine

They always start 2-3 day before the dakar, usually they get to Morroco to celebrate the new year (St-Sylvestre)

This year 2 Kasakh was leading but the H3 with an V6 toyota got some problem and his friend with an ex-overdrive truck is leading the bugg afrique and team MD facebook feed is amazing.

Much more interesing that this year it's a real prevater race

GEO_DXB

It's fairly turbulent this year. KAMAZ dropped to 8th overall (they had 2 trucks stuck), Anastasya Nifontova had clutch issues and lost a lot of time in the dunes and dropped out of top-3 in bikes - she had to wait for the sweep team, the french lot on buggys have vastly improved over the last 2 days in the dunes, Mobilex's Kanat Shagirov lost a lot of time and his lead is now around 8 mins only (was about an hour before). Interesting to watch. Tomecek on Tatra gave KAMAZ a run for their money today.

GEO_DXB

and its nearly over. KAMAZ wins truck category and Shibalov is 7th overall, Pal Anders Ullevalseter wins bikes, Anastasia Nifontova wins women bikes and 11th overall, Kanat Shagirov wins cars.Mathieu Serradori in his new buggy (he switched from Predator to a prototype) ends up 3rd in a good one against Sabatier.

bufeo

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if this has been discussed already.
Just wondering if anyone is watching the Africa Eco Race?
La course en direct !

...I have been a Paris Dakar fan since the 80s (accumulating video every single year). I still watch it in South America. But there's still something missing since it left Africa, so now I follow both events.

DB.
Thanks for reminding us. I'd forgotten to tune in (lots going on here at end of year).

Allen R

Hog Wild

Terrorists attack high profile targets. The Africa Eco race isn't a high profile target, so no point in going after it. Dakar is high profile and would get worldwide coverage if something bad happened, which is what the terrorists are looking for.

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
So the terrorists aren't terrorizing Africa right now because ASO isn't there? They're waiting for the big French fish to come back?

ISRengine

Africa eco race is born of the wish of Morroco, Mauritania and Senegal, since that the race have give different help to different comunity trees, electricity ect.

PathfinderCS

Aye, and I was happy to see the Toyota Hilux get a win; even though I still love the buggies.

Speaking of winners, while Shagirov won the car class, the bike class was utterly dominated by Pal Anders Ullevalseter while the trucks was won by Shibalov in a factory Kamaz.

In truth the 2016 edition of the AER was quite a treat to follow; really brings back the memories of Dakar when I first followed it in 2005. Can't wait for next years edition!