• Forum membership has its advantages....

After the win....

Ridelikeadiesel

Watching Ricky and Casey get their wins got me thinking. Desert racing requires a fairly heavy dose of grit. It's not the kind of activity that can be done quickly or easily. To accomplish the BIG goals requires an enormous amount of time, energy, money, focus, team..... After a big win (defined however you see fit), the good internal chemicals are flowing and the feeling is incredible; Seratonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin, and Endorpins. That feeling is what most of us are chasing. The thing that interests me though, is the crash after. That first quiet moment when the chemicals where off, the trophy gets put on a shelf, and the big question "now what?" happens. I truly believe that that moment is when true champions rise above the rest. That comedown can be pretty radical and I've been shocked at how fleeting the good feeling lasts. How long have you guys been able to ride the high? Any thoughts?

jon coleman

check out Laird Hamilton's take on that HI& crash, ptsd is a Very real thing, its All about that comming close to death ( real or precieved) and the crash afterwards, realizing it and dealing w it in a healthy way is the way to go, dont blo it off, there are different levels of ptsd, its Very real.ps ' all glory is fleeting' patton 70'

Last edited:

51rcr

Forever. Just the memory as long as i can and buddies talking about the adventures and race. So as long as i have a memory and the friends to remind me of it. Added bonus of doing it with others.
Some i think it never really hits cause of the struggle and work to get there and there almost in disbelief. Most are real about the memory of the pain and struggles to get there. Keeps it balanced. Maybe some just like the high and forget the rest. Most i know are balanced.

cynicwanderer

Watching Ricky and Casey get their wins got me thinking. Desert racing requires a fairly heavy dose of grit. It's not the kind of activity that can be done quickly or easily. To accomplish the BIG goals requires an enormous amount of time, energy, money, focus, team..... After a big win (defined however you see fit), the good internal chemicals are flowing and the feeling is incredible; Seratonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin, and Endorpins. That feeling is what most of us are chasing. The thing that interests me though, is the crash after. That first quiet moment when the chemicals where off, the trophy gets put on a shelf, and the big question "now what?" happens. I truly believe that that moment is when true champions rise above the rest. That comedown can be pretty radical and I've been shocked at how fleeting the good feeling lasts. How long have you guys been able to ride the high? Any thoughts?
I can't speak for ricky or casey, but for those of us that race because we have ADD/ADHD, the high isn't that high and the crash not that low... the worst part is the waiting for the "next" season/race...