Air Bags

redline

Reaction
Does anybody know what kind of air bags were used on some of the old trophy trucks?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
most likely they were firestones. Which trucks were you refering to? I am running similar ones on the front of my truck.

Anyone can escape into sheep, we are all geniuses when we dream.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ACID_RAIN28 on 12/16/02 10:26 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
No Air Bags, just 5 Point Harneses. Firestone is the largest maker of Air Bags for suspensions, with at least 100 designs available. Trophy Trucks premired in 1994 and I have never seen one with Air Bag Suspension. Rob drove the Nye Frank Air Shock setup in 95 (I think).

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I don't recall any on actual Trophy Trucks. The George's (makers of Funco cars) had a mid-engined truck with IRS and air bags at all 4 corners. (The truck was a lot like Letners truck. Another truck like that, but without airbags, was the Castex truck, built by Raceco I think) As I recall the George's truck had shock absorbers mounted right through the middle of the air bags. It looked nifty, but never seemed to ride just right. Racers (including myself) messed with air/gas suspension for years on MX bikes. I came to the distinct conclusion that is is not practical. It would pump up and then sack out in an unpredicable maner. It can work very well in conjunction with springs.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Rob MacCachren drove a Ford TT built by Frank Nye in 95-96 if I recall. It was equipped with air shocks as Ramsey stated above. I watched them unload the truck from their rig at the 95 Laughlin race. The truck looked like a lowered TT. The driver could put air in it, when necessary, to get the desired ride height. It was pretty trick. Didn't they get protested for this reason?

Confucius Say - "For every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

desertracer

Reaction
Weren't the shocks on that truck liquid cooled or something with water? I just remember it rising up as they either added air or it warmed up. I might be way off but it was sure a fun truck to watch.

redline

Reaction
the nye truck was the truck that i was referring to and was wondering how the set-up worked. I was told the truck was for sale. Anybody know anything about that? Who made the air bag/shocks?

JCA

Reaction
Didn't Johnny Johnson use to run a airbag set up on his old prerunner?? That thing worked real good. I got to ride in it a long time ago and was just getting into this stuff. I didn't know what to look at and didn't know what I was looking at when I did look.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Dave_G

Reaction
Ok, this doesn't qualify as a trophy truck with air bags but this is the car that started the experimentation into air bag suspension in off road racing. I helped build this car back in the early 80's for Dick Landfield at Enduro Racing before the Dave Ashley days came along. The car was a Mickey Thompson stadium truck and was driven by John Swift.

These pics were taken in the underground pits at the stadium in Montreal Canada at a short course race. Note the front air bag suspension struts....

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a close up of the front airbag strut. And yes, that's one of the very first bypass shocks ever built for off road racing. Check out those massive bypass tubes! Wooo hooo!

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
Here was the nice part about this car. If you smoked an engine you just unbolted the front half of the car at the firewall and rolled it away exposing the Cosworth engine. It was easy to change. The motor was a Ford Cosworth BDG (Belt Drive Grenade) ;-)

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's what the car looked like after the front end was rolled away and the engine was exposed for working on it.

Dave

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Hah, thats pretty cool. Thats a good idea, the front have unbolting and sliding away. Its probably not as strong though.

say goodbye to a tangerine sky
say hello, say hello to tomorrow.

Dave_G

Reaction
Here's a photo of the single rear link that connected the rear end to the air bag swing arm. Only a single airbag was used in the rear as opposed to the front. As you can see roll stiffness was a problem with this design so lots of attention had to be paid to the anti rollbar system in the rear.

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
If you look closely at this pic you can see the aluminum boxed swing arm behind the shocks. The rod end pivots for the swing arm are located just under the oil tank.

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
ok, last pic. Here a view of the rear of the car from the top. Note the single airbag.

Dave