• Forum membership has its advantages....

Air Compressor For Trailer

pjc

Chairman
I am looking for a quality air compressor for our race trailer. it will be a permanent install and must have the following:

Minimum 5 CFM at 90 PSI
110-120 Volt AC

Prefer the following:

150 PSI Max
Aluminum tank

Thanks for any help here.

T Pacheco

Chris Tobin

We installed this ARB compressor http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Twin-Air-Compressor-CKMTA12-P21341C9.aspx on my truck for the front ARB locker and to run accessories and I am VERY impressed with its capability and quietness!!!! I know it is not 110-volt AC but won't you guys have stuff running on 12-volt on the race trailer? I know from experience that a lot of the smaller generators do not like air compressors... The little compressor will do 3 CFM @ 90 PSI tankless and with a tank will do the 5 CFM that you want (rated for over 6 CFM continuous use at room temperature). They also have a 1-gallon aluminum tank, but I would guess that you would want a larger tank for race trailer use. Summit http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/ridetech/part-type/air-tanks/product-line/ridetech-air-tanks?autoview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Default lists Ride Tech brand air tanks for $90-120 for 2-5 gallons and I'm sure you can find others.

Not necessarily what you asked for, but I think it will be a good solution that would work very well and last in a tough trail/off road/race environment. Hope it helps.

pjc

Chairman
Thanks Chris!

It just may be cheaper to add better batteries tot he trailer and go with 12 volt.

Chris Tobin

Thanks Chris!

It just may be cheaper to add better batteries tot he trailer and go with 12 volt.
No Problem.

Probably work better and last longer. I don't know about cheaper though! I tell you what though, the ARB compressor I have is darn impressive. I just need to add a bigger tank and I think I'll be able to use air tools to change tires!!! I searched some last night and there are a lot of 5 gallon or so aluminum tanks out there for pretty cheap!

pjc

Chairman
Does ARB have a kit to regulate the tank?

I have a big Blue top Optima in the trailer now that has a trickle solar charger as well as the 20amp charge feed from the tow vehicle. It cannot keep up with the high power LED, floods in the trailer now. I will have to go to a Lifeline 4D or 6D battery.

Chris Tobin

Does ARB have a kit to regulate the tank?

I have a big Blue top Optima in the trailer now that has a trickle solar charger as well as the 20amp charge feed from the tow vehicle. It cannot keep up with the high power LED, floods in the trailer now. I will have to go to a Lifeline 4D or 6D battery.
I believe the regulator is built into the compressor as to turn on and shut off since it can be run as a stand alone unit without a tank.

Yup you will need a lot of juice!!! And need to charge them when not in use... Add more solar and a larger charge feed from the tow rig and upgrade the charge system on the tow rig. I never said it would be cheap! The cheapest method would probably be a nitrogen tank or two and regulator and then refill between outings...

pjc

Chairman
A large tank!! Very interesting concept. We have gone to the IR Electric Impact tools. We need this for tire inflation and cleaning air filters etc. Also, my coach (tow rig) is built on a Freightliner Columbia chassis. I have a very large compressor on board that chassis for the air brake system. I think a tank holder on the tongue may be the answer here. Now to understand the sustained CFM output at a regulated 135PSI per tank size.

07FJRog

Check out Viair (sp) pumps. Many choices if you go to 12 volts. Add an installed tank for volume.

nexrace

cusico

110V- Rolair or most higher end Jenny have the same french made pump / motor unit and set it up with a dual long cylinder tank under the trailer. Lots of volume.

ARB twin air 12v with the same tank setup is amazing. ARB stuff is solid AU made and not the low quality import stuff.

Trailers have tons of spare under them and reserve tanks can be made at low cost if you go to a semi truck scrap yard and get the tanks and piggyback them together. $10 each with mounts, and I am not one to go cheap on a build. 30-50 gallon system for $100 and then your compressor runs at a very low cycle rate, regardless of the pump/motor unit 12V/110V.

BOYSCOUT

I gave up on keeping the little compressors alive at the dunes.
After I went to cordless for tools I now just do CO2 for filling tires etc...
$20/year for a refill and it lasts all season filling sandrail and quad tires.
If you're filling truck tires then just mount a larger tank ( or 2 ) in the trailer. I use a 20lb bottle and its super easy to carry out of the trailer right to what needs air.
I have a 100-250psi adjustable regulator. Fills tires FAST.

DeRaRa

I gave up on keeping the little compressors alive at the dunes.
After I went to cordless for tools I now just do CO2 for filling tires etc...
$20/year for a refill and it lasts all season filling sandrail and quad tires.
If you're filling truck tires then just mount a larger tank ( or 2 ) in the trailer. I use a 20lb bottle and its super easy to carry out of the trailer right to what needs air.
I have a 100-250psi adjustable regulator. Fills tire

I agree with BOYSCOUT get a 20lb bottle, I personally use nitrogen and it will last all season. I got tired of buying air compressors every year, and its portable, no power to worry about.

green787

Dotard... This is the only compressor that will meet your needs.... You are asking for something that doesn't exist... I'm building a custom set up for my pit truck but will need a generator that produces 240V..... The one below is the largest 110V compressor that I know of...

29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

redline

I agree with Chris. For the money you can't beat the ARB twin compressor. I have the suitcase model that is all self contained and works like a champ for airing tires, impacting, blow gun ect as long as not in a super hurry. If you put a big storage tank on it then you should be set for just about anything.