• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Air locker function

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Does an arb air locker require constant air pressure to Keep it engaged? This requiring a compressor

landshark

Yes, an air locker requires constant air pressure to keep the engagement active. No air - open diff. Thus requiring a compressor, and even better to include an air tank and the possibility of other uses like inflating tires or blowing out an air filter or blowing up a bed or boat or your girl friend - if thats your thing.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Thanks, that’s what I thought. I like the idea of on board air for tires and stuff but not sure I want to deal with the noise of a compressor cycling on and off. Time to look into an Elocker for 9” or just go tried and true Detroit locker for my 4Runner

jeff

An ARB Air Locker that's functioning properly (not leaking) only requires a small volume of air to engage and to stay engaged. Unless it's got a bad leak the compressor should not need to run much at all. You'll only be needing a locked differential while the 4Runner is being driven so even if the compressor comes on once or twice a day it won't be very noticeable. Somewhere around 90 to 100 PSI seems to be the sweet spot so a small tank and compressor that produces sufficient PSI should provide an ARB with plenty of air and not cycle very frequently.

Aloha

landshark

An ARB Air Locker that's functioning properly (not leaking) only requires a small volume of air to engage and to stay engaged. Unless it's got a bad leak the compressor should not need to run much at all. You'll only be needing a locked differential while the 4Runner is being driven so even if the compressor comes on once or twice a day it won't be very noticeable. Somewhere around 90 to 100 PSI seems to be the sweet spot so a small tank and compressor that produces sufficient PSI should provide an ARB with plenty of air and not cycle very frequently.

Aloha
Very true, if there are no leaks and you have just a compressor it doesn’t run for long. The new dual arb compressors aren’t too loud and you can mount them under the truck and away from the front. Also they do a pretty good job filling up tires and stuff on their own with no tank.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!

Aloha
Ugh they are so expensive though just for the diff... plus a compressor. I wouldn’t mind an arb I just gotta decided if u want to fork out the money. The compressor and tank would be in the trunk area of the 4Runner probably.

landshark

you could go with another compressor thats a bit cheaper such as a ViaAir, they are ok - but the older ones are loud.

PaulW

The tiny ARB compressor is not expensive. In fact some vendors supply include it with purchase. It is dedicated to the ARB and for sure it won't do other tasks. You can barely hear it and if your install is correct it wont even cycle on and off.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
The tiny ARB compressor is not expensive. In fact some vendors supply include it with purchase. It is dedicated to the ARB and for sure it won't do other tasks. You can barely hear it and if your install is correct it wont even cycle on and off.
If I get a compressor I’d want to be able to air up tires too. I will have an on board tank as well since I have one. Would the smaller compressor still be out of the question if linked to a tank?

landshark

Depending on how much patience you have you will probably want a tank. Tanks are cheap and you have plenty of options of mounting somewhere on the 4runner. I know the dual ARB compressors (yes those are the expensive ones) can fill up tires no problem and they are faster than my 100% duty cycle VIAIR with a 5 gallon tank, although my compressor is about 8 years old... There are other options out there too, look at the CFM's that the compressor pushes out and the duty cycle along with the amperage - the tank is nice because you can build up a reserve of air to fill up tires quicker, but again if you have the patience then you don't have to have a tank just a decent compressor.

I would do a search on pirate4x4.com as there a million threads over there on this very thing.

PaulW

If you get a big ARB then yes you can use it for lockers and tires as mentioned above. If you get another brand then you have to have a tank with regulator to keep the tank at 90-100psi. More stuff to go wrong. Lots of guys go that way and suffer because of crappy regulators. The big compressor is way overkill for the lockers which is why ARB sells the small one.
I have a Viair with big tank for tires and the small ARB for the lockers. Like I said the small ARB came with the lockers. On my other rig I have a 20# CO2 for tires and the small ARB compressor for the lockers. I am happy with both rigs.

landshark

Yes, forgot that part - regulator is indeed needed as stated above with after market compressor, i have a spare i carry on longer trails along with spare ARB hose and solenoids