Airbump alternative?

orvacian

Reaction
My 4x4 Toyota truck needs something extra in the front to help with bottoming out. I have a 2 tube bypass on the front now. The front cycles out at about 13.5" travel. Problem is it's only a 8" travel shock and mounted about 1/2 way in on the lower arm, so the shock's shaft speed is so low that the bypass tubes have to be almost completely closed even with double-stacked .020" shims! I want something more to help out with the last 6" or so of compression travel. I was thinking about a 12" or 14" airshock mounted way out on the lower arm but I was told they will heat up quickly on the front of a truck. Airbumps would work but it is a 4x4 and I am running out of room to fit them. Does anyone make a airbump that looks/mounts like a shock? Any other suggestions?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Sup Aaron,

You should be able to fit the airbumps on there, when I mounted mine the first time so they were hitting on the lower arm there was still room for the axle.

You could always get trick and do it the way so it comes off the shock hoop and the airbump hits on the upper arm, that way its not always riding on it either. This is how I am going to do mine this week when I build new hoops. I'll have pics later this week to show ya.

Go Big Or Go Home

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Camburg use to have a picture of the airbump on the shock tower to stop the upper arm. Maybe Jerry could post it. It looked like a pretty good set up, but I dont know how it would work on an upper arm that originally wasnt planned for that. I wouldn't worry about the shock heating up if you mounted it further out on the arm, as long as you have a good shock with the right travel and a resevor. It's not like you are racing a 500 mile course. But, the easiest thing to do would be to add an air bump, which you should have some room for on one side of the axel. Also, if they made a bump stop that looked and mounted like a shock on both ends, then it would be a shock. If you really cannot find the room on that arm for a bump stop, weld a piece projecting from the arm to the side for the pad of the bump stop hit. Let me know how it goes.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here are the pictures:

If you look on the upper arm you can see the little pad they made for the bump to hit on.

Go Big Or Go Home

farmboy

Reaction
damn fish, thats lookin pretty sweet. how many inches of total travel do you have left when the bump stop comes into contact with the arm? and what about some limit straps?

Boy, Farm

Tyson

Reaction
That is a truck that Camburg built. (Not "The Piece" as it is called). But that Toyota - if I was informed correctly - gets about 18" of travel.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

SuperDave

Reaction
Hey Aaron, what's up, this is Dave with the '94 4WD. I was talking to you at contingency. I have the SAW airbumps mounted above my lower A-arm. I had them shortened to 2.25". Bajaconcepts has a picture of my suspension on their website at http://www.bajaconcepts.com/toyota4wd.htm. It's the close up picture with the dual Bilsteins. That's the easiest way I found to mount the air bumps. They work great. They're one of the best additions I ever made to my truck.

Rover 4

farmboy

Reaction
my bad i thought that was the peice. i should have known the fab work looked a little to clean! j/k

Boy, Farm

JasonHutter

Reaction
Here is what we did.

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yea that is way to clean to be the Piece :) Although we are doing it pretty nice now so it won't be able to live upto its name as much anymore. But it will still handle like the piece or even a little better!

Go Big Or Go Home

orvacian

Reaction
Thanks for the advice on airbump mounting but I was looking for an ALTERNATIVE to airbumps.
My front shock hoops are way too low to have a airbump mount that hits the upper arm, I also do not want to cut out the fenderwells yet. The lower arm has a limit strap allready mounted where the bumpstop would hit on the lower arm.
One idea I have come across is a shock with only compression valving.

Jack

Reaction
If you are not already overheating the shocks, then you can put more vavling in the piston and open the tubes to keep it soft in the middle.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Right now I am borrowing a torch so I can cut these shock hoops off so I can make the new ones.
I ripped all the carpet out and the inside is ready to go for the cage.

That picture is where I cut out the old frame support that went across because when I landed on the front it bent it in. I just boxed the ends in with 1/4"plate and put a piece of 1 3/4 across it. Now I will be able to get a better approach angle on the bumper also!

Should have the hoops off tomorrow and be able to start making the new ones!

Go Big Or Go Home

redline

Reaction
Getting 300m torsions would help you truck out a lot. You should definately think about that before trying to find alternative to airbumps.