airbump psi

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I searched and didnt find anything so hopefully it hasnt been asked 20 times before. last week i raised my truck about an inch to get the thing off of the bumpstops. it was such a harsh ride on the street hitting small bumps, butpretty nice in the dezert if i was going fast enough. soo the question is what would be the minimum PSI to run in an airbump? or does it matter. im gonna get a nitogen tank this week hopefully and start messing with it and find a point where its not to bad a street ride and not bottoming all the time in the dezert. i was playing on the dirt roads today an over corrected nd i hit a pretty big rain rut shoving my tire way up and since at the moment i have no nitrogen in the bump i was pretty worried i might have broke something. can any one help?

Gregg

phorensic2k

Reaction
I wouldn't know about a minimum PSI to run in an airbump to reduce/eliminate damage such as a nitrogen charged shock, but I don't think you have hurt anything by running them without nitrogen. If you call the manufacturer of you airbump they would be able to recommend an absolute minimum.

I own a Sonoma with [daddy didnt love me] 3.5" lift spindles/shocks and 31" tires. I don't know what kind of lift you have but as far as my truck is concerned I know that if I ran the minimum pressure in an airbump it would probably BLOW for my suspension setup. Yeah, take my words with a grain of salt because I have never owned airbumps, but the way my suspension handles IN THE DIRT is shi**y. The best way I can describe it is that the suspension feels stiff but will bottom out constantly if I go over 10 mph on "rough stuff" (6-12" bumps). I would guesstimate that my suspension would work best with a relatively moderate pressure in the airbumps (instead of absolute minimum like you are trying to achieve) to control my excessive bottoming out condition. Of course, you express concern over street manners. It has been said a thousand times before that you can't have a good dirt truck handle well on the street. Every mod I have done to my truck has ultimately made it handle like crap on the street (mostly removed anti-sway bar, although oversteer is very fun around corners with excessive throttle hehehe). A moderate pressure in the airbumps will allow you to hit those oh-I failed spelling "rain ruts" and not worry about bottoming and destroying your airbump cans or worse. I have dents in my frame from the factory bump stops that I can show you
. That, to me, is much more important than having good street manners. Screw the street, leave it for the ricers, jajaja.

curt

Reaction
Where is the bump located? it shouldn't even come into play untlil the end of your travel, its a bump stop. We had ours located on the frame so it was way inboard on the lower a-arm and it was always a problem because it was being used all the time plus it was so leveraged it didn't do much good anyway. After locating it way outboard on the upper arm it now only gets used when we slam hard like it was designed to do. I just rebuilt one of them and the Fox instructions said between 150-200psi. Curt

VORRA Class 7

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
my airbump is off my lower arm probably in the middle of it. it was built withthe tuck sitting on it, it is used all the time thats why iraised the truck alittle to get it off the bump. i think im gonna go back to 150 psi and see how it works since it will not be riding on it.

Gregg

hbprnstr

Reaction
Y dont you have the air bumps shortend? That way they work the way they were intended, as a bump stop, not a shock. We run 300 psi in my SAW bumps and they work great.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
where can i get this done at? one reason i found that i like the bumps on the arm is alot less body roll. with no pressure in them i cant go around a corner over 15 mph and feel comfortable.when i had pressure in them riding on the arm i could go nearly as fast as i wanted to around any corner.
any way i can reduce body roll?
Gregg

hbprnstr

Reaction
most offroad shops should be able to shorten your air bumps for you. the only way i can think of to reduce body roll other than sway bars is go with a stiffer spring but then you will be changing the ride as well.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Crank the bumps to 300psi and deal with the ride.....it will be well worth it offroad trust me....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I failed spelling austin,

following you and ryan on the race course in barstow i was bouncing every where that was just with 150 psi. i guess though since i did raise them off the lower arm by about an inch or so it will not be to bad. i amgoing to put 150 psi back in tomarrow and see what its like since i havent had nitrogen in the bumps for nearly2 weeks.

Gregg

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
So does everyone else on that race course :)

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
true very true i was nearly verticle at least once or twice though and i was only going 15 or 20 mph. oh well it was fun though. cant wait till next race though should be even rougher.

Gregg

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Seriously go with 300PSI...it will keep it from bottoming out as much so it wont be bouncing all over the place....

Go Big Or Go Home

michael_loomis

Reaction
wowser ..... what will the pressure be when the bump is compressed! capt. prepare for lift off!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
They can handle it....I run mine at 300 and know a lot of other people that do also and never had a problem.

Dan ran his at 350 on his black ranger....

Go Big Or Go Home

michael_loomis

Reaction
cool ....we ran them on the rear of a 5 car once (couldnt afford bypasses) and with anything over 200 the rear would kick like no other. obviously weight was an issue.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya I would never run them that high on the rear....on the front there is a lot of weight on a truck so you are usally ok....

Go Big Or Go Home

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
well i pumped them up to 300 today at work and they sit on the lower arm still even after raising the front up i guss im gonna get them shortened does anyone know where to get it done and possibly a price . thanks

Gregg

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Camburg can shorten them for you.....ask Jerry for a price.

Go Big Or Go Home