• Forum membership has its advantages....

AlertTrax and RacingTrax for V2r...stopped vehicle detection?

johndjmix

I noticed for V2R the quads/bikes will be running a new device, that appears to work similar to the system we used in Baja last year...

http://bitd.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/AlertTraXRelease-01.pdf

It will detect a stopped vehicle and warn you...and also has a pass request/warning system, etc.

This is awesome, and will surly help and save crashes...but the question is, will the trucks/cars/utvs be given a unit like this, or are we all using the same racingtrax device what we have been using?

I can't see how the new device will help much unless the larger vehicles have it to warn the bikes/quads....Hopefully we all get the new device.

On a seperate note, Ive used the racing trax device in past races and its worked great, but ive never used the txting function of it. Does anyone know if it can both send and receive txts? Or is it send only.

--John

RacingTraX

Here's the game plan. We are currently building 420 of the new AlerTraX units, due to time restraints and availability of parts we are only going to be able to build 120 complete units that will have everything (tracking, medical and mechanical alerts plus the vehicle-to-vehicle capabilities.) These 120 units will be used for the bikes and quads.

The other 300 AlerTraX will have everything minus the iridium tracking and messaging capabilities so for the Cars, Trucks and UTVs we will be using our regular RacingTraX device for tracking, communications, and emergency alerts just like in races previous. We will also be installing an AlerTraX unit onto each vehicle which will have capabilities like Push-To-Pass, Stopped Vehicle Warning, VCP recognition, Speed Zone Warning and Speed Display as well as a few other bells and whistles.

We are really excited about our new AlerTraX system especially when it comes to avoiding accidents. With existing systems, if you're plowing through a silt bed and get a warning that you've entered into a radius of a stopped vehicle you still don't know if they are directly in front of you or stuck in another line 100 feet to your left or right.

We have build our system using spread spectrum meshed radio technologies so that when a stop alert is sent from a stuck vehicle the approaching vehicle will be alerted and then an arrow will appear on their LED screen pointing in the direction of the stopped vehicle. There will also be a count down, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 indicating 1000ft, 900ft, 800ft, 700ft, 600ft, etc. If the arrow is pointing forward and counts down to 0 it is likely you will be hitting a stopped racer. We hope that this kind of tech will help racers better avoid accidents.

AlerTraX are battery powered and easy to install. We are not charging anything extra for the use of the device on cars, trucks and UTV's. We also felt that because everyone has already spend $69 purchasing a RacingTraX mounting kit that it wouldn't be right to now charge for an AlerTraX mounting kit so will be eating that cost and providing them to racers for free for the Vegas to Reno. You'll get both the AlerTraX and mount at tech.

ssbfour

I would love to see both of your systems in SCORE. You guys have excellent tracking and the AlerTrax sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johndjmix

Racing trax always does a great job. Figured it was coming for all vehicles in the future.

What I'm still at a loss for if the regular racing trax device receive a txt from a phone. So basically have a conversation from race truck to cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

RacingTraX

Racing trax always does a great job. Figured it was coming for all vehicles in the future.

What I'm still at a loss for if the regular racing trax device receive a txt from a phone. So basically have a conversation from race truck to cell phone.

Yes you can message back and forth between RacingTraX units and cell phones. My wife, her sister and mom did a bucket list trip and went to Peru to hike Machupichu. I sent her with one of our trackers and she was messaging me the whole time.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Really bull sh$t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you mind expanding on your comments? I am trying to find what in anyway what you find as a negative in this. Racing Trax has sought feedback every step of the way and continued to update their products. They have maintained them affordable while meeting the expectations of the users and the promoter.

johndjmix

If only somehow racingtrax and leadnav could join forces on allowing a way to connect leadnav to racing trax we would have somthing amazing. And not have to spend over $2000 a year for the iridium link for leadnav team tracking.

RacingTraX

Honestly, we could do what LeadNav does tomorrow if we wanted to but it would be just as expensive because that's just the nature of the beast. When we developed our "Baja" program we decided that a simple SMS message being sent automatically from the race vehicle to all chase vehicles with current race mile and speed every 8 minutes through satellite solved the problem of needing to know where your racer was during the race. Is it worth 4x amount of money to be able to see their location on a map? That's up to you to decide. As far as tracking your chase crew, is it worth 4x amount of money to see them on a live map or is it better for chase 2 to send a message to chase 1 that says "heading to pit 6" type of thing. Knowing where the race car is and being able to easily communicate between your team at an affordable price was our main objective. If you really wanted to see everyone's location on a live map I'm pretty sure you could rent our equipment, purchase an Iridium Go (satellite internet) device and then log on to RacingTraX.com or BajaTracking.com and just choose your team. We update your vehicles location online every 3-4 minutes so it would actually be better than LeadNav's 6-8 minute updates. Either way, live map tracking is expensive.

Bricoop

We have build our system using spread spectrum meshed radio technologies so that when a stop alert is sent from a stuck vehicle the approaching vehicle will be alerted and then an arrow will appear on their LED screen pointing in the direction of the stopped vehicle. There will also be a count down, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 indicating 1000ft, 900ft, 800ft, 700ft, 600ft, etc. If the arrow is pointing forward and counts down to 0 it is likely you will be hitting a stopped racer. We hope that this kind of tech will help racers better avoid accidents.
This is really incredible right here. Have you done a lot of testing of this function? I am looking forward to hearing how the technology works in the desert. Also, is the brightness adjustable for day vs night?

Last edited:

johndjmix

Racingtrax: Understood, basically the satellite data is what adds up to $$$....

Having that 2 way text capability included free with RacingTrax really makes the mandatory rental cost justified. Saves you from having to get service on another device!

Keep up the good work guys, excited to see the new Alert trax unit.

Baja Bryan

Looks like a nice system. Nice to see the progression of these devices. I would love to see these in the CODE series.

RacingTraX

This is really incredible right here. Have you done a lot of testing of this function? I am looking forward to hearing how the technology works in the desert. Also, is the brightness adjustable for day vs night?
We've done quite a bit of testing but of course everything changes when you put it on 400 vehicles which will be racing out in the middle of nowhere facing a 1000 different scenarios. We just keep telling people that these tech tools are great but to not 100% rely on them, you still have to use your brain and drive by sight.

The brightness button is to dim the LED's, I believe there are 5 levels of brightness.

Zeppe807

From the German Family Racing: we would like to thank RacingTrax for this product. It was used throughout the course, by us and others. It seemed to work perfectly in every case from our seats. We were hesitant at first with the new technology, but it was priceless.

Thank you!

RacingTraX

From the German Family Racing: we would like to thank RacingTrax for this product. It was used throughout the course, by us and others. It seemed to work perfectly in every case from our seats. We were hesitant at first with the new technology, but it was priceless.

Thank you!
Thank you!

johndjmix

For those of you that couldn't make it to V2R....

Racing trax blew it out of the water and managed to get enough of the new units to get them installed on every race vehicle! It worked great in our truck.

Some guys seemed to ignore the pass request and some didn't give a pass request but in general it worked great!!!