• Forum membership has its advantages....

AlertTrax and RacingTrax for V2r...stopped vehicle detection?

Zambo

I haven't used the new system, but I imagine like Stella or any other pass request system there are two parts to the process. The first is the actual pass request that happens in the race, which should get honored by the vehicle that receives the pass request. The second and equally important part is the protest afterward. Again I don't know how BITD wants it done but in NORRA if you send a pass request and the overtaken vehicle doesn't honor it then they are supposed to look at the data and assess a penalty for not moving over. Until they actually take the full step of penalizing people for not moving over, it will have limited effect on the racing. It can still certainly help the slower cars that want to move over for the faster cars a nice heads up.

Also keep in mind that the reason a racer has caught up to another racer might be that the guy in front has also caught up to another car and is trying to pass them. No one is going to honor a pass request while they are in somebody else's dust trying to get around them. This is why they do a review. The system should be able to tell the organizer whether a pass request was received, whether it was honored, whether the receiving vehicle was also trying to pass someone else in a moving roadblock, etc.

I can't remember what year it was, 08 or 09 something like that at the Baja 500 when SCORE finally cracked down on the speeding and course cutting and really started handing out penalties. There were a LOT of adjustments that race and a lot of big name teams got knocked off the podium, but that is what it took to get people to get serious about the rules.

B. R C Arrow

For those of you that couldn't make it to V2R....

Racing trax blew it out of the water and managed to get enough of the new units to get them installed on every race vehicle! It worked great in our truck.

Some guys seemed to ignore the pass request and some didn't give a pass request but in general it worked great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
We pushed the "push to pass" button on every single car we passed, some ignored it so we gave them the bumper. We think ours worked, but since we never got passed we don't know, ALTHOUGH ours would say "PASS" IN GREEN and blue so we think it was working.

cynicwanderer

I was on a bike and after some time (RM180 or so) the count down function stopped working. when the trucks came after RM200 or so, I would only get a "Pass" request when they were right on my ass. some didn't wait for me to find a safe place to pull over (e.g. of tall berms and drop offs on the side of the road), even when I waved to acknowledge them and passed me while squeezing me into the berm at times. I think the trucks were assuming that we were getting the countdown warnings and were aware. I have heard the tracking stopped working on many bike units from other riders. also, sometimes I would get phantom "pass" requests when there were no vehicles behind me, which caused me to crash because I was not expecting it. I think this systems has potential, but needs to be tested better before bikes literally trust their lives to it and pay the $200 to rent them. also, the unit it too bulky for the flimsy mount and many of us had problems keeping the unit on the bike, I had to stop several times and finally ended up tie wrapping it to stuff. I noticed many "lost" boxes as I rode by them, because they would give me stopped vehicle alerts, with no vehicles.

We had no luck with it at all.Never worked all day . Drove past 10 broken down trucks never said they were there . Pushed to pass botton on 5 trucks never a respond back

Baja Dad

For those of you that couldn't make it to V2R....

Racing trax blew it out of the water and managed to get enough of the new units to get them installed on every race vehicle! It worked great in our truck.

Some guys seemed to ignore the pass request and some didn't give a pass request but in general it worked great!!!

time penalty should be set in place for this

Baja Dad

I was on a bike and after some time (RM180 or so) the count down function stopped working. when the trucks came after RM200 or so, I would only get a "Pass" request when they were right on my ass. some didn't wait for me to find a safe place to pull over (e.g. of tall berms and drop offs on the side of the road), even when I waved to acknowledge them and passed me while squeezing me into the berm at times. I think the trucks were assuming that we were getting the countdown warnings and were aware. I have heard the tracking stopped working on many bike units from other riders. also, sometimes I would get phantom "pass" requests when there were no vehicles behind me, which caused me to crash because I was not expecting it. I think this systems has potential, but needs to be tested better before bikes literally trust their lives to it and pay the $200 to rent them. also, the unit it too bulky for the flimsy mount and many of us had problems keeping the unit on the bike, I had to stop several times and finally ended up tie wrapping it to stuff. I noticed many "lost" boxes as I rode by them, because they would give me stopped vehicle alerts, with no vehicles.

you need to Quit crying........... our unit never came off the bike and the bike hit the ground Twice very hard!!
this unit is just an added safety feature you should NEVER put your life on the line or trusted to anything but your own HEAD
the unit worked GREAT for us

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Unit worked great for us. We were fighting overheating issues and were very limited on speed in the silt and uphill sections. It was nice in the silt to know when another car was coming up on us to move out of the way to not ruin someone else's day. When the weather started to cool off we were able to start pushing a little and were able to make some passes. Most cars pulled over right away, with a couple deciding to jackrabbit. It was great not having to risk charging blindly in the dust. This product is a huge step in the right direction.

The disabled vehicle feature was fantastic. countdown and direction worked without a hitch.
Some cars did not come up on the Alert trax but I believe this is because they didn't press the disabled button on the unit.

The pit speed warning was also a nice touch.

I just think there needs to be more education on the units, operation, parameters and limitations.

cynicwanderer

Just pointing out that it did not work for everyone on the bikes and that it was dangerous because some of the trucks/cars assumed that we were just ignoring them, i.e. on purpose, and made dangerous passes. I aggree that it's just an additional feature and one should not solely rely on it. I did feel a little ripped off that I was required to pay an extra $200 for something that did not work for me and was clearly still in development/testing phase.

Baja Bryan

I seen the stella software on the owners phone for a race. He can see exactly when the pass was requested and see how many times. He can see if the car received the request and tons of more data. Easy to see if it was ignored or the other car was trying to pass a car themselves.. I hope in the future penalties will be given. If cars move over will make it safer for races and spectators. For us if we get caught we move over as fast as we can.

Nessy

What are everyone's thoughts on how close you should be before sending the request to pass?

Baja Dad

What are everyone's thoughts on how close you should be before sending the request to pass?
That is the $1000 question......
It can not be just 1 setting, Due to the closing speed for a TT is much faster then a MC or UTV
the units have to be set depending on what type of Racer is approaching
This is all new to racing here in the states and Mexico (Dakar has used this type of unit for years)
In the future penalties should be automatically handed out for ignored request to pass alerts
and ignored request to pass responses
as for the $200 fee I think it should be all inclusive in the entry fee.

Honda48X

you need to Quit crying........... our unit never came off the bike and the bike hit the ground Twice very hard!!
this unit is just an added safety feature you should NEVER put your life on the line or trusted to anything but your own HEAD
the unit worked GREAT for us
Baja Dad quite being a [email protected]# HEAD and be nice. He was only pointing out something that happened to many many riders. So you were lucky and yours didn't fall off.

RacingTraX

ADVERTISER
It goes without saying that we owe all of the motorcycle and quad guys an apology, there's nothing else
to do but own our mistakes. We did a good test on the actual mounting bracket that we sent out to everyone, the part that failed on most bikes was the little 90° bracket that we bolted onto the bottom of the AlertTraX that also held the two finger GoPro part. We failed to run a thorough test on that part and it bit us. There was a lot of pressure for us to have this unit ready for this race, we felt going into it that it would be a success but that was obviously not the case. It was a very expensive mistake but worst of all it did not give the riders the extra safety measure that we wanted to provide. I know there are a lot of fraustrated riders out there, it's totally understandable. We are going back to the drawing boards to build a smaller better unit, bike and trucks are totally different and should be using totally different types of trackers.
We don't expect anyone to pay for lost units and we are also offering either a full credit for next race or a pro-rated refund depending on how long the unit worked.

IRONGOOK

Kudos to Racing TraX for taking ownership of their units. Anything to make our sport safer is appreciated. If we learn from our mistakes, then it wasn't a mistake. Not learning from it is the mistake.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
It goes without saying that we owe all of the motorcycle and quad guys an apology, there's nothing else
to do but own our mistakes. We did a good test on the actual mounting bracket that we sent out to everyone, the part that failed on most bikes was the little 90° bracket that we bolted onto the bottom of the AlertTraX that also held the two finger GoPro part. We failed to run a thorough test on that part and it bit us. There was a lot of pressure for us to have this unit ready for this race, we felt going into it that it would be a success but that was obviously not the case. It was a very expensive mistake but worst of all it did not give the riders the extra safety measure that we wanted to provide. I know there are a lot of fraustrated riders out there, it's totally understandable. We are going back to the drawing boards to build a smaller better unit, bike and trucks are totally different and should be using totally different types of trackers.
We don't expect anyone to pay for lost units and we are also offering either a full credit for next race or a pro-rated refund depending on how long the unit worked.
Just wow.

You guys just jumped a few floors up in my level of respect.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Enduro Spec

Stand up guys for owning this deal cradle to grave. They were working their asses off on Friday to keep up. Apparently it's hard for racers to read all the instructions and come prepared to mount the unit by actually getting the mount installed BEFORE showing up to the race. Some had no clue and these guys and gals at RacingTrax went above and beyond to get them squared away. So the rest of us that were more prepared and actually had mounted the brackets could just grab our units and mount them up and head over for final tech. It's a pity that my mount failed before gas 3 as it had the potential to be a game changer for passing and safety in the dust. Maybe you could send some dummy units and different mounts to some of us to get some better beta before the next round. I'm confident any one of us would help you shorten the expensive learning curve of the new system and provide some valuable feedback. Thanks again for standing behind your product.

vegasloki

@Baja Dad

There are costs involved in the tracking system. They can't just give it to you. Sat time, unit cost, programming, hosting and infrastructure, development, race support, payroll are some of the costs. Anything that you are paying would just be folded back into the entry fee. It's not that "the man" is trying to stick it to you. It's a dedicated group of people that love off road backed by a known name in GPS asset tracking. They're stand up folks. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

LAPoliceGear.com

I thought the unit worked great. I want to thank the two or three trucks that yielded to us when we signaled for a pass. This unit really does make racing safer by not forcing people to make crazy a$$ passes in less than safe conditions. One buggy found the gas pedal after achknowleding the pass request with an OK response and jackrabbited... That pissed me off.

Thanks Racing Trax for a great system. It worked great in the car plus your online tracking allowed all my friends and family to really watch the race in detail. They loved it!

S Frank

Ps Shop at LAPG.com so I can afford to keep racing :)