• Forum membership has its advantages....

ALMOST TIME TO GO..MAKE YOUR PODIUM PICKS..

randy s

CARS....nasser..peterhansel..despres...bikes..price.. brabec...sanz...TRUCKS..de rooy....dgaf....

Chris Tobin

Cars:
Peterhansel
Loeb
Despres

Bikes:
someone new and unexpected...
The rest of them...

Trucks:
DeRooy
The rest...

Quads:
Patronelli
Patronelli
The rest...

blue dog

GDV. This will be his year finally.

Dirty Harry

Nasser and Price

Both have gear no one else has
Like what?

I predict Peterhansel repeats and is joined on the podium by De Villiers and Despres.

On bikes I think Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves give Price a run for his money.

In the trucks I think that De Rooy and Mardeev battle it out but Pascal de Baar in the Renault is my dark horse pick.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

factory_p

My money is on Loeb, Nasser and Sainz for the podium. No idea in which order though..

Bikes? Price takes the win, with Van Beveren and Metge on the podium.

bajaherbie

Robby Gordon!

I wish.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

spalind

Like what?

I predict Peterhansel repeats and is joined on the podium by De Villiers and Despres.

On bikes I think Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves give Price a run for his money.

In the trucks I think that De Rooy and Mardeev battle it out but Pascal de Baar in the Renault is my dark horse pick.

Seeing them racing in person, both are cleaner and faster than anyone else they were running against and it wasn't really close. its like watching Jordan or Tiger in their prime against the best of the world...there is just another level of speed and skill that they possess that the others don't. Of course this doesn't factor in mechanical issues or navigation errors but all things being equal? Nasser and Price are in my mind the favorites.

Dirty Harry

Seeing them racing in person, both are cleaner and faster than anyone else they were running against and it wasn't really close. its like watching Jordan or Tiger in their prime against the best of the world...there is just another level of speed and skill that they possess that the others don't. Of course this doesn't factor in mechanical issues or navigation errors but all things being equal? Nasser and Price are in my mind the favorites.
I don't really know enough about the bikes to intelligently comment, I am still getting used to it not being the Coma vs Despres show.

I take it Stephane Peterhansel was not in Morocco though. Nasser is super fast no doubt, but Peterhansel is equally fast and not half as hard on equipment. And Loeb is actually faster than both of them! But I think Daniel Elena still needs more experience before that duo wins at Dakar.

Hayward Racing

This is my non expert opinion as well just seeing them on video. Toby Price is insane fast look up his Finke race videos that dude straight up hauls butt on 2 wheels or 4.

Short Bus

It's hard to not pick Nasser and Peterhansel to podium. I think Nasser has gotten better at making his equipment last. Not as good as SPH, but better.
I saw an interview with Sainz. He said he is only interested in winning. He does not care about finishing or even a podium. That sounds like it won't end well for him.
I don't think Loeb can run at the pace he does for an entire Dakar without crashing or breaking something. The inexperience navigating won't help either, especially if Coma threw in some navigation traps.
Despres might be a real threat. Maybe he will be the next Peterhansel....or not.
With the restrictor changes giving the Toyotas a little more speed, GDV's typical patient, precise driving should keep him in striking distance.
Hirvonen's driving seems similar to GDV's style. He should be hanging around waiting for someone to make a mistake.
Yazeed and Terranova could also be close enough to step up if someone up front screws up, but those two are probably more likely to be the ones making the mistakes than benefitting from them.
With the Peugeot big dogs fighting with each other, maybe Romain Dumas will sneak up the standings. He managed to wrestle the first generation Peugeot to a finish last year. With a current Peugeot and team support he could do well. His navigator has been doing Dakar since the '80s. He won LeMans and Pike's Peak this year. He's on a roll.

Dirty Harry

If Loeb can put his ego aside he will follow Despres and Peterhansel in the off piste sections and put time on them on the two track roads. Not sure that is his style though.

I like Sainz (I was there in 2010 when he won in a VW) but he hasn't finished the Dakar in years now. I think his best days are behind him.

Bull-dust

Bikes - I think the bikes might throw up some strange results this year, depending on who gets spare engines at the critical time or not, still perform at high altitude day after day.
Svitko (KTM)
Quintanilla (Husqvarna)
Garcia (Sherco)
Quad - Casale, Karyakin, Sanabria
UTV - Torres, Ravil, Font (Polaris likely winners here)
Car - Depres, Terranova, Roma (I guess that turbo-diesel will be first,but which one?)
Truck - Nikolaev, Mardeev, Villagra (Kamaz back on top this year, the crews have probably been made aware of the salt mine job vacancy list)

Dirty Harry

Bikes - I think the bikes might throw up some strange results this year, depending on who gets spare engines at the critical time or not, still perform at high altitude day after day.
Svitko (KTM)
Quintanilla (Husqvarna)
Garcia (Sherco)
Quad - Casale, Karyakin, Sanabria
UTV - Torres, Ravil, Font (Polaris likely winners here)
Car - Depres, Terranova, Roma (I guess that turbo-diesel will be first,but which one?)
Truck - Nikolaev, Mardeev, Villagra (Kamaz back on top this year, the crews have probably been made aware of the salt mine job vacancy list)
Interesting picks! I agree with you on the trucks. Remember when Vladimir Chagin retired and Kamaz lost the next year for the first time in forever? The Russian team was definitely more motivated the next year!

I also agree with you on the turbo diesel. In order I think that the most capable vehicle is the Peugeot (by a fair margin), the Mini, then the Toyota (only say that because of elevation, otherwise they are pretty closely matched), then everyone else pretty far behind. Those three teams filled all top ten spots last year and I would expect the same this year.

I don't consider Terranova as consistent enough to win in a car, I don't think he has shown us that. And Roma is good but I am not a huge fan ever since the famous photo from his "win" where his faster teammates are parked and letting him drive by. Plus he lost Perin to Hirvonen, which I feel hurts his changes at victory. I think that Peterhansel/Cottret are the best driver/navigator combo, followed closely by Nassar/Baumel and DeVilliers/Zitzewitz. Its not like I am going way out on a limb, these three guys have won six of the last ten years. It may be boring but I don't see that changing this year. In the future I think that Loeb and Hirvonen have what it takes to win, but Elena does not have enough experience in rally raid yet and Hirvonen needs more seat time also in my opinion.

The dark horse for me in Yazeed. He did so well in his first year, exceeding all expectations. Last year though he was never really a factor. I am curious to see how he does in a Mini and how Roma and Nassar do in Toyotas.

goldbar

Bikes : Honda - Joan Barreda Bort , KTM won every single dakar rally from 2001 to 2016 i mean cmon...someone else has to win this year.
Quads: Rafal Sonik.
Cars : Nasser Al-Attiyah ,Nani Roma,Carlos Sainz.
Trucks : Ales Loprais - Tatra

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Bikes: I think it will be Toby Price's race to lose, but I will be cheering for Laia Sanz and Ricky Brabec
Cars: Peter Pan has to be the favorite, but I will be cheering for Carlos Sainz, plus both Nasser and G De V in their Toyotas and Xavier Pons in his Ford.
Trucks: G De R in his bad azz Iveco
UTV: Leandro Torrez in his Xtreme+ Polaris RZR

Brian1

Bikes: Price
Trucks: De Rooy I like the Ivecos better than the Kamaz trucks, I'd put a Kamaz in the 2nd spot though
Cars: I could care less this year. Some form of a Mini Toy Pug will surely be on the box again this year. I would like to see GDV win but I think the 1st spot is just out of reach for him. I will be watching the Ford Rangers and the Coronel brothers because you never know what to expect out of them unlike all the top drivers, plus Tim and Tom are fun to follow.

ZequeArgentina

1. Price
2. Quintanilla
3. González

1. Machacek
2. sanabria
3. González

1. Nasser
2. Loeb
3. Peterhansel

1. Mardev
2. Kolomy