aluminum vs steel hardline

landshark

Reaction
I am building a NORRA early Bronco and have the body off the frame so running fuel and transmission hard line on top of the frame rails to keep them out of harms way and out of the exhaust heat. I only had enough hard stainless steel line to run one length for the main fuel supply from the rear cross member. I had 25' of aluminum hard line on hand and used that for a return line for fuel (future EFI and redundancy) and ran two lines to the rear of the frame for the transmission cooler. The aluminum line is of course much more fragile than the steel line. I have been rethinking it's use and just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on using aluminum vs steel/stainless steel. My budget is tight and was trying to use what i had on hand but now thinking twice about it since i have access.

landshark

Reaction
I am building a NORRA early Bronco and have the body off the frame so running fuel and transmission hard line on top of the frame rails to keep them out of harms way and out of the exhaust heat. I only had enough hard stainless steel line to run one length for the main fuel supply from the rear cross member. I had 25' of aluminum hard line on hand and used that for a return line for fuel (future EFI and redundancy) and ran two lines to the rear of the frame for the transmission cooler. The aluminum line is of course much more fragile than the steel line. I have been rethinking it's use and just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on using aluminum vs steel/stainless steel. My budget is tight and was trying to use what i had on hand but now thinking twice about it since i have access.
IMG_0048.JPG

mebuildit

Reaction
I always use seamless stainless tubing. Never worry about anything after that.

isdtbower

Reaction
I thought someone mentioned about dirt and crud building up on the top frame rails. I am not a mud guy but do think about letting sand and other drain from whatever. (Says the guy who just pulled out his flatty and the drum brakes were 1/2 full of dried mud.)

43mod

Reaction
Long aluminum run does not sound like a good idea to me.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I'm probably stating the obvious but aluminum work hardens and will crack with movement and or vibration. I'm not sure that am off road vehicle is a good application of aluminum tubing for fluid transfer. Also ethanol is corrosive to aluminum. So I would not be using it for fuel.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Don't even think about it....