ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
It should go without saying but anything with a tube frame or cage requires you to wear a helmet. The body stretches, belts stretch, the very cage that protects you can also hurt you. Cages and tube frames work WITH helmets, they don’t mean you no longer need a helmet. It’s the exact opposite, you NEED a helmet in any caged vehicle.

I’m considering open face helmets for my wife and I when we’re offroading in our Raptor. Does anyone ave any real advice? I know the steering wheel airbag can creat challenges to a helmet. Any input is appreciated.

Wendell #527

Reaction
In my rock crawler Jeep I have done the hammers, rubicon, dusey etc and never with a helmet. Many times I should have had a helmet on though. The old days at TDS were brutal. One or two of my club would roll it every year. I rolled it one of those times with my wife and she smacked her head. Pretty bad. But still I didn’t wear a helmet. Another time I rolled it 3-3/4 times over but STILL didn’t switch to wearing a helmet. Don’t be like me. Open faced would be handier so I’m interested to see what the data shows, if anybody has any.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I remember about 10 or 12 years ago a guy spinning donuts out at Jean in a Ranger (I believe) high sided and smacked his head so hard he passed away. Super tragic.

A&SCHASE1

Hero
Reaction
And ALWAYS use the chin strap. I had a roll over while testing my new car about a month ago. I forgot to strap my helmet and ended up rolling my car about 3 times, after the first roll my helmet flew off , on the second roll the roof caved in and bashed the top of head pretty good. Left me with a permanent scar as a reminder to never do that again. I’m even considering wearing my racing suit when I’m out testing.
836ECF45-9117-4AF1-85F7-BC146EBDEEDE.jpeg

Reaction
. I’m even considering wearing my racing suit when I’m out testing.

There's a reason dirt bikers say ATGATT.

Testing may well be more dangerous than racing, every time I got upside down, no matter which side of the car I was sitting, was during testing.

cubed

Reaction
And ALWAYS use the chin strap. I had a roll over while testing my new car about a month ago. I forgot to strap my helmet and ended up rolling my car about 3 times, after the first roll my helmet flew off , on the second roll the roof caved in and bashed the top of head pretty good. Left me with a permanent scar as a reminder to never do that again. I’m even considering wearing my racing suit when I’m out testing.View attachment 198473
Any particular reason people feel that the car is less likely to catch fire testing than racing? Way more medical help when a race is going on also, lots of racers and volunteers out there to help extract and put out a fire. If you are testing its most likely just you and your spotters.

jon coleman

Reaction
Any particular reason people feel that the car is less likely to catch fire testing than racing? Way more medical help when a race is going on also, lots of racers and volunteers out there to help extract and put out a fire. If you are testing its most likely just you and your spotters.
a lot of injurys happen when your just gonna putt over that little hill, im going slow, dont need helmet, just gonna take the go cart and zipp it around the parking lott, me, im just gonna take this last little wave in, hit my head on reaf and fractured c7 .t1, 2,3 comp.frackture, all these scenarios have in common?, lack of focus , & not appreciating the dangers.testing i always min . wore helmet, gloves nomex, levis.long sleeve cotton.my old boss told me long ago , in a fire u dont own enough nomex.wear it all!,be safe and strap that helmet

Christian Sourapas

Reaction
And ALWAYS use the chin strap. I had a roll over while testing my new car about a month ago. I forgot to strap my helmet and ended up rolling my car about 3 times, after the first roll my helmet flew off , on the second roll the roof caved in and bashed the top of head pretty good. Left me with a permanent scar as a reminder to never do that again. I’m even considering wearing my racing suit when I’m out testing.View attachment 198473
Please, for the love of god, wear a fire suit while testing. No ifs, ands, or buts. Anybody in the car should have all the protective gear. Even gloves and the proper driving shoes. I see way too many people out there with T-shirts and shorts and they are literally playing with fire...

Goober

Reaction
It should go without saying but anything with a tube frame or cage requires you to wear a helmet. The body stretches, belts stretch, the very cage that protects you can also hurt you. Cages and tube frames work WITH helmets, they don’t mean you no longer need a helmet. It’s the exact opposite, you NEED a helmet in any caged vehicle.

I’m considering open face helmets for my wife and I when we’re offroading in our Raptor. Does anyone ave any real advice? I know the steering wheel airbag can creat challenges to a helmet. Any input is appreciated.
Raptor has a cage?

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Raptor has a cage?
Nope, that’s why I was asking for advice. They have a boat load of airbags all around but I’ve been in a group running pretty dang fast in Baja when a horse spooked in the desert and bolted right in front of me. I got the short bus slowed down enough and saw it coming out of the corner of my eye but since that happened I’ve been wondering about wearing a helmet in my uncaged Raptor.

PS. Sometimes I enjoy driving like a total nimrod and I’d hate to punch my ticket over a simple thing like a helmet. Well I guess the real nightmare would be living through it but losing a passenger that I love more than myself.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Nope, that’s why I was asking for advice. They have a boat load of airbags all around but I’ve been in a group running pretty dang fast in Baja when a horse spooked in the desert and bolted right in front of me. I got the short bus slowed down enough and saw it coming out of the corner of my eye but since that happened I’ve been wondering about wearing a helmet in my uncaged Raptor.

PS. Sometimes I enjoy driving like a total nimrod and I’d hate to punch my ticket over a simple thing like a helmet. Well I guess the real nightmare would be living through it but losing a passenger that I love more than myself.
Those comments there should have just answered your own question, I’m w Sourapas. Wear it all, it is cheaper to look like a fool to the other general population while testing/ prerunning than to pay the medical deductible

Goober

Reaction
I moved to Utah in August and helmets aren't required out here for UTV's and it amazes me how many people you see not wearing any.

Outside of CA you rarely see people wearing helmets in utvs. Anybody know if a helmet would have saved Pete?

A&SCHASE1

Hero
Reaction
My roll over totally changed my prespetive on the whole safety thing. For now on its suit, gloves, and neck restraint at all times. It’s crazy but sometimes safety gets overlooked. What I can’t seem to wrap my head around is why here in ca if your in any utv, Atv, Buggy and it’s under 1000cc you need a helmet. But if your in something over 1000cc no helmet is needed. Seems insane to me.

cubed

Reaction
If you are at a point where you are trying to decide if you need a helmet, you are already far beyond the point where you should be wearing a helmet........

Zambo

Reaction
RISK is always based on the likelihood of something bad happening X the severity of the consequences if that bad thing were to happen. We all evaluate risk as a part of our daily lives. We all take small risks every day. Sometimes that small risk is based on the fact that if things were to go pear-shaped, we wouldn't get that hurt. Other times the risk is based on the fact that even though we may get hurt, the bad thing is very UNlikely to happen. For instance, if you get in a plane crash you're very likely to die, yet we all fly on planes because its not very likely we are going to crash.

Its pretty unlikely that if you get in your UTV to drive to the other side of the pits or the parking lot that you're going to have an accident with life threatening injuries. It is much more likely if you get in that same car and go 50+ mph thru the dirt that your are going to have an accident, and if you do, that your are going to smash yourself pretty good. One guy might think that anybody who doesn't full gear up for a 25mph run to the gas station is being foolish, and yet he'll spend hours every day accepting risks that others never would, such as riding a motorcycle in freeway traffic.

Personally I think that ease of use is a big determiner for how often someone is likely to use safety gear. Helmets that fit right are more likely to be worn. HNRs that go on and off easy and don't get in the way are more likely to be used. Seat belts that aren't a royal PITA to fasten and adjust are far more likely to get buckled. BTW, I applaud BITD, SCORE, NORRA, and the other race organizations that have finally started to allow camlock harnesses. I know at least one guy who will be much more likely to get fully strapped in for that quick test run around the block after wrenching or the short drive to the taco stand with these harnesses in his car.

Lastly, when a freak accident happens, learn from it but keep it in perspective. There are still times when planes crash, for instance, but it happens so infrequently that the risk is well below any sensible threshold. Nobody is going to put a helmet and HNR on to move the car around the parking lot, or realistically, cruise on down to the taco stand. Nobody is going to put a fire suit on to load the TT on to the trailer. Just have a reasonable risk threshold, stick to it, and learn from accidents and incidents that others have had previously.