ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

nimrod

KOOK!
I’ve been told that when airbags go off they do bad things to your neck if you have a full face helmet or even a visor.

JCAraiza

Maybe you can explain why? Is that because of airbags, because of the rating? Is this more dangerous than nothing at all?
A coconut with a strap will be better than anything for sure. What I'm saying is this helmet is not designed nor rated for any form of motorsports. I own this helmet and I use it for MTB. It is equipped with MIPS technology which is designed to help your head with rotational impacts, like when you roll on the floor when falling off the bicycle, at way lower speeds than you will crash your prerunner or whatever with an engine.

It is important to choose your safety gear accordingly.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Maybe you can explain why? Is that because of airbags, because of the rating? Is this more dangerous than nothing at all?
Because you'd look like a sissy driving a race car/truck/prerunner!

mgobaja

this should be simple, most of us have spent lots of money, to protect ourselves during the race, so why not use it every chance you have ?

John F2000

A thread started a while back

What Do you wear when you play in the DIRT?????

What do you wear when you play in the dirt???

Over the last 20 years, off-road vehicles have become exponentially faster. Not only with Trophy Trucks, Buggies, and Rock Crawlers, but every day pre-runners, Rangers with lift kits, and last but not least a show room Raptor which is as fast off-road as some of the late 70’s / early 80’s race cars. Obviously with modern day race cars, helmets driving suits, etc are the norm. But with the performance gains from every day pre-runners and show room stock trucks traveling as fast as an early class 8 truck, shouldn’t we be wearing helmets at least? They certainly did back in the day. But with plush cabs and soft rides its very easy to get lulled into fast speeds without recognizing the potential dangers which could be off-set with a nice comfortable open faced helmet.

I am starting this thread in the hopes that you will share experiences you have had pre-running or just playing in fast off road trucks/buggies, without helmets and protective gear. I know there are some tragic stories and some almost tragic stories. I hope you will share these stories and opinions as to when and when not you view it appropriate to wear a helmet, when say off-roading in a Raptor or a mildly built Ranger, let a lone in a half a million dollar luxury pre-runner. Or suggestions of equipment comfortable helmets which work in closed cabs, belts that are convenient to use in a street legal pre-runner etc.. I hope this thread, through stories and opinions shared will encourage or at least make others aware of just how fast they are going and what a little extra protection might do to help, just in case. With any luck, your stories and contributions might help save someone’s life or from major injury. Have fun with the thread, post pictures and keep it going.

I know Channel and I wear open-faced Stilo’s when playing in the dirt. What do you wear??

Chanel Ryan
Stilo USA
Alpinestars.com | Alpinestars

photo courtesy of Off-Road Magazine and Dirtsport

DONALD MACE

I have been hit with a air bag and a full face helmet would be bad news. With a open face it would give you a area open to the bag and will conform to that and not push the helmet into your face.

Total Loss

ATTGATT in the dez...
Always wore one in the Rzr before the mandated law...too many cage hit horror stories.
I wear both open and full face helmets...depending on conditions.
No cage in the chase truck. Do not wear one.

Kiwiflyer

I didn't want to go down this path but that incident reinforced what I always believe...that I'll never get in anything in in the dirt at more than a low speed without a helmet. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference in his case, but if I could have helped...

We don't really "test" our truck, but we play in it a lot. We don't typically suit up in full race gear but we ALWAYS wear helmets. We have two play trucks between us...my race partner and I, and we've both got fancy sets of headsets but we literally have never worn them because we always wear helmets. I'm not a safety nazi, but I cringe every time I see youtube vids of guys out playing in the desert in UTVs, prerunners, etc...jumping and doing fun stuff...without a helmet.
No

ThatSpaceMexican

Is a Snell rated M2015 adequate for perrunning and playing in a car? I understand that m2015 helmets are not fire rated, however we've seen the dakar UTV drivers using M2015 helmets despite being in a caged vehicle. Also how do open face helmets receive SA2015 certification? Could you use a M2015 if you use a fire resistant mask?

jon coleman

i was told years ago that sa , special application was not only in reference to fire rating but also the construction design was for multiple impacts, like hitting the roll bar over& over.m was a single hard impact design, thats what i heard from an old road racer.but, an m is better than your backward ball cap.....

El Mamito USMC

My roll over totally changed my prespetive on the whole safety thing. For now on its suit, gloves, and neck restraint at all times. It’s crazy but sometimes safety gets overlooked. What I can’t seem to wrap my head around is why here in ca if your in any utv, Atv, Buggy and it’s under 1000cc you need a helmet. But if your in something over 1000cc no helmet is needed. Seems insane to me.
same thing happened to me when I broke my collar bone just testing the atv for the B1K,50TH. it was a bummer not racing it, just false start.

now I make my kids wear it all the time..

harleys dad

nearly 100 percent of UTV fails(crashes) I have watched none wear helmets and have the most god awfull crashes and are lucky they dont kill themselfs. I find it stupid to go off roading hill climbing rock crawling with out a helmet, I never let myself or my sons go with out a helmet even if they are driving my rzr to the other side of the pits. Love them to much

johndjmix

It’s amazing how many people at Moab in UTV’s are not wearing helmets. I would say close to 90% no helmets.

I wear mine all the time, unless Cruzin around the campground or flat areas under 20 mph.

It’s common sense. If your doing something that has a large degree of danger...wear a freaking helmet!

—John

ThatSpaceMexican

How about a lightweight bike helmet in a non caged street truck? Seems like something would be better than nothing?

No good in street truck cause airbags. But that would be a great helmet for pitting or race mechanic. Cause its light and you'll still be able to hear and have good visibility. Just a good idea for if your changing tires and the jack fails, so you won't get your skull rung too hard.

steve scott

It’s amazing how many people at Moab in UTV’s are not wearing helmets. I would say close to 90% no helmets.

I wear mine all the time, unless Cruzin around the campground or flat areas under 20 mph.

It’s common sense. If your doing something that has a large degree of danger...wear a freaking helmet!

—John
If someone is wearing factory seatbelt 100% agree. With my aftermarket roll cage and four point harness that goes through the seat it’s not physically possible to hit my head on the roll cage. Yes it’s possible for something to protrude into the cage on a roll but not very likely especially on slik rock. It’s also more likely to break your neck with a helmet if your not wearing a neck harness than not wearing one because of the additional weight.

steve scott

If someone is wearing factory seatbelt 100% agree. With my aftermarket roll cage and four point harness that goes through the seat it’s not physically possible to hit my head on the roll cage. Yes it’s possible for something to protrude into the cage on a roll but not very likely especially on slick rock. It’s also more likely to break your neck with a helmet if your not wearing a neck harness than not wearing one because of the additional weight.