Always on forward facing amber lights should be a rule for all classes. Change my mind.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
The UTV vs. The Jeep Speed thread ( 3714 Jeepspeed crushes UTV at Mint ) made me think, again, that this should be a rule.

A vehicle approaching yours from behind knows where you are in the dust because of your reverse facing always on amber light.

A racer being overtaken does not have this advantage. He might not see you back there.

The siren is easy not to hear with a helmet on and engine noise.

Vehicles have very limited vision behind them. Dust makes it much worse.

A minimal expense like a couple of amber pods facing forward and always on seems like a level rule that may decrease your time in someone elses dust.

The only dis-advantage I can think of is that it is harder to sneak up on someone you're trying to pass.

If ambers facing backwards make sense then why don't forward facing ones?

Discuss.

scottm

Reaction
How about flashing lights on a momentary pushbutton, maybe on the horn button itself.. Hmm, I'm going to do that.

Stuilen

Reaction
Where will it end? There will always be traffic in a traditional desert race. Ivan used to pass us 50 feet off to the side because he had the car that could cruise out there off line. Usually never heard or seen him coming. Many other "faster" guys did the same. I think some racers are just trying to get a contact high off our dust. Go around WIDE! Give us a tap/nerf/smash if you cant figure that out and we will move within reason. We are running out of room to weld more light tabs onto our cars.
The cool guys back in the day ran a blue light on the dash facing forward but all it did was look cool. Spencer (RIP) had one in his 7s. Dont remember that light making a difference at the CRB.

Wendell #527

Reaction
We usually raced with 2 forward facing lights on even in the day. I just used 4” sol teks but people seemed to move out of the way faster. They weren’t amber but they were effective. I did it to get by faster but I guess it was probably safer, too.

jon coleman

Reaction
good idea light pointing forward.like make it a flashing type like bicycle riders have, im out of the loop , but i thought there is a slow/ faster vehicle warning light on the dash of your car?, yes dust sucks in dicy fast situations, always ASSUME all slower class than u are a bone head, from tt on down, on ivan passing skills, truck helped, but the iron man was a freek of nature in the driver seat....

Reaction
I miss the green spots of the Checkers.

Shoyrtt

Reaction
The Checkers ran a forward facing blue light for years until the BLM announced that they would stop one of the MORE races because the blue light was exclusively for law enforcement. Checker Justin Davis runs a forward green light, but we don't have a set rule like in the past (I have two amber lights now). And even with a forward light, as you can see from the picture, nerfing tends to be a necessity.

Attachments

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
I think its a bad idea.

If everyone has ambers up front it will be harder for my crew to recognize our truck. LOL we run ours on all the time. Lights on for safety

Mike

MAC56

Reaction
I have always run forward facing lights on durring daylight, class 10, Protruck and TT. To me it reduced the chance a spectator or stopped racer would misjudge the closing rate. The forward lights should never be the same color as rear facing for the same reason aircraft and boats have different port and starboard colors, to help determine direction. The pit club CORE did use an Amber “club light” but they were very low wattage.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Do you like to be bothered by a slow moving vehicle who is unaware of your presence?
If they’re slow, I’ typically just hit a sideline and make my way by. If there is none I honk, wait 5 seconds nudge, if they don’t wave (to acknowledge) or miss an obvious pull off its game on.

jon coleman

Reaction
for really pesky guys, hmmm, japanese baja ml riders come to mind, in stead of forward facing lights , i can just install forward facing rocket launchers??

dezert_nerd

Reaction
I'm sorry but a forward facing amber light is not going to solve that issue (specifically speaking about the Jeepspeed/UTV incident). Learn how to make better passes, and/or when you notice a vehicle advancing behind you (either through the mirror or by getting nerfed) GET OUT OF THE WAY. Hate to sound cliché but this is offroad racing.

steve0we

Reaction
It has been a rule in the Texas races for 8 plus years. It works really well. As fast as Californians are moving here because of our awesomeness, this should be just another great Texas idea.

jon coleman

Reaction
yup.only good thing in cali lately is your red star on kaliforner state flag....