• Forum membership has its advantages....

Am I just wasting money?

DGruper

Yes, there are a couple of different videos out there that explain the differences between each axle generation.
RG has one out there as well.
Anything that separates the load and plunge as far apart as possible has to be an improvement. By leaving the CV joint to just do what it’s supposed to do ( transfer torque) while turning a corner, theoretically the CV should last longer. With the plunge section moved to an area that like the center section of axle, greater and smoother plunge action can take place.
Imagine pushing a wet noodle, which is what happens with the older gen axles. You have plunge and swivel at the end of the noodle. It’s really hard to control because the end is whipping around in three axes.
By moving only the plunge to a more rigid section that has no swivel action, you can now better manage the ranges of motion. Basically, only the very end of the noodle is flexible and much easier to push ( our transmit torque) through.
Hopefully, this sheds some light on it. I will now remove my aluminum foil hat.

DGruper

The new gen 3 axles only plunge at the axle shaft and they are using non plunging cv joints capable of 45 degrees. I have mine apart right now that will be getting Cryoheated I will take some pictures and videos and send them your way. I will show the difference between the Gen 1 and 2 axles.
What is Cryoheated and what does it do? What material are the cv joints made out of?

slvrbullet

Yep the first two generations of axles had some design flaws to say the least!.

Cryo heat is a shop out in Oceanside. basically they use cryo and heat treating to make the metal stronger and more wear resistant. They will also be doing my transaxle and front diffs. I used this process on CV joints and it seemed to help with heat and longevity. I know for bearing it really helps.